• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

Derpingson

Totally Ordinary Human
Just requesting a guide to how to make profit off trading unusuals, just the basics.
> Have ~150 Ref to spend on random shit, anyone have any unusuals they are quickselling? :3

Faron

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Yeah, wasnt too sure if I should get into it. I hear that at times, you can get stuck with a hat, even though the price itself is expensive. (You would think expensive unusuals of ~3+ buds weren't cancer hats)
yea, seriously, don't. If your not patient don't even consider. I'm just trying to get an awesome hat for my favorite class then I'm done until I decide to switch it around.

Cylosis

Legendary Skial King
Yeah, wasnt too sure if I should get into it. I hear that at times, you can get stuck with a hat, even though the price itself is expensive. (You would think expensive unusuals of ~3+ buds weren't cancer hats)
If you do choose to try and work your way up to something worth cashing out on, be prepared to spend weeks fending off people offering flies spy and heavy hats.

Reactions: Derpingson

Ozone

Server-Clearing Cynic
I saw a guy on youtube who said that 1 for 1 trades and patience is a good way to trade them. He traded a sunbeams glenglarry Bonnet for a Blizzardy Storm Jumper's Jeepcap using this method.

Reactions: butterfingersman

Derpingson

Totally Ordinary Human
I saw a guy on youtube who said that 1 for 1 trades and patience is a good way to trade them. He traded a sunbeams glenglarry Bonnet for a Blizzardy Storm Jumper's Jeepcap using this method.

Ah yes, I think I saw the very same video. Was the creator of the video AcesGamer by any chance? The one where he was willing to do a 2:1 trade for the Blizz Jeepcap and he asked the guy to offer, and he wound up asking for a 1:1 trade.. something like "Would a 1:1 trade be okay?"

Rvsz

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
That isn't an upgrade at all.

Ozone

Server-Clearing Cynic
Ah yes, I think I saw the very same video. Was the creator of the video AcesGamer by any chance? The one where he was willing to do a 2:1 trade for the Blizz Jeepcap and he asked the guy to offer, and he wound up asking for a 1:1 trade.. something like "Would a 1:1 trade be okay?"
Yeah he's the one. Instead of offering both hats he asked which he wanted for it.

EDIT:
That isn't an upgrade at all.
Yes it is. The bonnet was worth like 4 buds while the jeepcap was worth several buds more.

Rvsz

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I think they're pretty much the same, or the Bonnet is worth more by a Bills maybe.

Rvsz

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
By the way there is a way to make profit on unusuals, because of the fact people value the hats differently.

You have to know the market though, to know which hat you can sell for what. I know a guy who had an eerie orbiting fire Cheiftan's and swapped it to a Searing Salty, but then he decided he liked the Chieftan's better as a hat so he swapped the Salty to a Bubbling Chieftan's, all on the same day. Don't do downgrades, know which hats/effects are popular and don't deal with cancers, don't deal with duped ones. It isn't difficult to make profit on it, just look in Faron8's bp, he never bought anything for cash (he got a lucky unbox though, but that doesn't account for like 30-40% of the things you see there).

Here's the list of unusual hats I've ever owned (and remembered):

Nuts and Bolts Football Helm
G Fetti Buckaroos
P Fetti Noir
P Fetti Noir
TF2 Logo Ketche
Searing Trilby
P Energy Buckaroos
Flies Chieftans (or N&B, don't remember)
Orbiting Fire Steel Toe
Ghosts Sultan's
Vivid Berliners
P Energy Tricorne
Smoking Jeepcap
Searing Spartan
Vivid Spartan
Scorching Guad
Burning Buckaroos
Cauldron Hallmark
Vivid Private Eye
Smoking Birdcage
Burning Pyro Glove
Flaming Lantern Dapper
Ghosts Company Man
Stormy Storm Brain Bucket
Hearts Merry
Sunbeams Stuntman
Scorching Stuntman
Blizzard Stuntman
Ghosts Merry
Steaming Coppers
P Energy Honcho's
Burning Mining Light
P Energy Tyrants
P Energy Hallmark
Steaming Stahlhelm
P Energy Noh Mercy
Orbiting Fire Pyromancer's Mask

Faron

Australian Skial God
Contributor
My list:
Burning YWN
Scorching Kabuto
Nuts Ketche
Searing Plasma flamenco
Scorching Merryweather
Green energy brain bucket
+ lots of the ones on Rvsz's list that I've sold for him.

Derpingson

Totally Ordinary Human
My list:
Burning YWN
Scorching Kabuto
Nuts Ketche
Searing Plasma flamenco
Scorching Merryweather
Green energy brain bucket
+ lots of the ones on Rvsz's list that I've sold for him.

btw, Faron you know your Level 42 Merryweather? Just checked up on it to see if I actually knew how to spot dupes, and found out it now has four copies :3

Faron

Australian Skial God
Contributor
btw, Faron you know your Level 42 Merryweather? Just checked up on it to see if I actually knew how to spot dupes, and found out it now has four copies :3
thats the FAMOUS scorching merryweather, and no, its impossible it has 4 copies unless you found all of them in each others BP's.

lpN

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Patience is the biggest thing like faron said. You could be stuck with a cancer unusual for quite a bit.

My list
Softcap - vivid plasma
Hermes - eerie fire
Headwarmer - bubbles
Elfin Deal - Nuts N Bolts
Tricorne - planets
luchadore - ghosts
ol geezer - tf2 logo
ol geezer - smoking
big country - smoking
noir - seering plasma

Derpingson

Totally Ordinary Human
thats the FAMOUS scorching merryweather, and no, its impossible it has 4 copies unless you found all of them in each others BP's.

Yep, I checked their all their backpacks, it just recently got duped by the guy who was right above you (the person who you sold it to I presume?) I used tf2items.com