Crust

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Works on paper but not in practice. People constantly cut off when in the middle of advertisements and conversations on mic now, and you can work around it by just letting go of voice chat for a second and then speaking again (mic spammers already doing this).

EDIT: At the very least, increase the cooldown.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ixel and MarshHag

oesaevrnne

Uncharitable Spy
i think you meant increase the amount of time you can talk before it gives you a cooldown
after the restart it is now giving 86,300 second cooldowns, essentially muting anyone who talks on mic for a day

oh, okay, after reconnecting to the server it is giving a normal cooldown of a few seconds instead of the 86300

Reactions: Crust

Seminal Inhalation

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Works on paper but not in practice. People constantly cut off when in the middle of advertisements and conversations on mic now, and you can work around it by just letting go of voice chat for a second and then speaking again (mic spammers already doing this).

Was just on another trade server and people were talking about how they got automuted on skial for advertising over the mic and telling others to avoid skial because of it. This new feature is actively chasing people away.

• Dumb
Reactions: FishMoley

Oosik

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
Dunno if changes are being made right now but we had some people limit testing in payload+ very sporadic with the criteria to have the mute occur with varied mute times. It even mutes admins btw.
I feel like this should of been an announcement on the forums before this was implemented.

Will def cause issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: PoomBa and MarshHag

Bottiger

Administrator
Dunno if changes are being made right now but we had some people limit testing in payload+ very sporadic with the criteria to have the mute occur with varied mute times. It even mutes admins btw.
I feel like this should of been an announcement on the forums before this was implemented.

Will def cause issues.

It does not mute admins and the limit reset time is based on when you started talking.

Seminal Inhalation

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
It does not mute admins and the limit reset time is based on when you started talking.

Only fifteen seconds of use cuts off most advertisements and limits conversations. A good bit of micspammers don't even spam all at once, but instead spam in short bursts, so this is not incredibly effective for that.

• Dumb
Reactions: FishMoley

Bottiger

Administrator
then how long do you want it? If you are talking for 15 seconds in a row, that's 15 seconds when no one else on the server can talk.

Seminal Inhalation

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
then how long do you want it? If you are talking for 15 seconds in a row, that's 15 seconds when no one else on the server can talk.

Perhaps thirty seconds or so before kicking in? A lot of voice adverts can take a bit depending on what they're selling/buying, but rarely ever too long to where it becomes obnoxious.

I've also overheard people in other trade servers telling players to avoid skial because "you'll get automuted for talking", so that's not too good.

MarshHag

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Contributor

+1, I think this plugin is unnecessary and is just going to cause a lot of headaches for everyone, especially on the trade servers where some advertisements can be longer than most

Reactions: Ixel

Ixel

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
Contributor
Sadly I also have to +1. Based on both what I've read and heard, this feature sounds great when on paper but in practice it appears to have some issues. Dealing with mic spammers by purely automated means is a difficult problem to solve unfortunately, without negatively impacting some other players inadvertently.

Reactions: MarshHag