Blade D_Hero

Contributor
In the rules, "threatening to attack Skial servers or staff" makes an appearance. Now the server I can understand, because threatening to attack Skial servers can lead to server downtime and a loss of money.

However, threatening to attack Skial staff is entirely unnecessary. First off, when people apply to be admin, they're expected to have a thick skin. Idle threats should not bother admins, and if they do that is certainly cause for alarm, because threatening to kill/attack/rape someone over an Internet game has been Internet shit talk for years and nobody should take it personally.

Secondly, this rule doesn't even apply to regular players. Why should admins get special privilege? If you're going to make the rule, apply it to everyone.

I agree if someone threatens to attack staff and provided SPECIFIC information (like actual name, address, location, etc) they should be punished, but that is already in the rules under "no distributing personal information."

In short, we should always be aiming to keep the rules as limited as possible and I (and many others) believe that this section of the rules is entirely unnecessary.

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Too much of a hassle to enforce it for everyone.

I don't really think admins want the hassle of having to decide what constitutes as an "attack" that warrants a ban for every single person. Our admins have thick skin but many players do not.

There was a time when we had pages full of reports that went unresolved and this would certainly not help.
I would certinaly take on the hassle of dealing with those kinds of things if it stops people being verbally attacked on the servers when they join - I don't like not having the ability to do something about someone who is seriously being abusive towards another player and ruining their experience on the servers.

Fairnessplease

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
"I'm going to kill you in real life, watch" - Instant permaban
"I'm going to tickle in real life, watch" - Instant permaban

So your not allowed to threaten other admins in real life situations but you can do so to other regular players, because admins have thick skin.

Skial 2016

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
I would certinaly take on the hassle of dealing with those kinds of things if it stops people being verbally attacked on the servers when they join - I don't like not having the ability to do something about someone who is seriously being abusive towards another player and ruining their experience on the servers.

Honestly, I'm fine with that as well. My main gripe with this rule is that admins > regular players, and that's just super shitty. If anything, the players are more important than us and we should be willing to improve their time on Skial servers.

Bottiger

Administrator
I trust that none of our admins are going to ban anyone for saying "I'm going to kill you".

However from my experience as an admin dealing with complaints, you can be sure that there will be a lot of people whining about it and trying to get people banned for it, even if they don't really actually care.

And then you will have more people complaining about us being too strict with no freedom of speech.

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I trust that none of our admins are going to ban anyone for saying "I'm going to kill you".
Uh... https://www.skial.com/threads/appeal-♛-jojo-da-pope-♛.69560/ ...they just did.

However from my experience as an admin dealing with complaints, you can be sure that there will be a lot of people whining about it and trying to get people banned for it, even if they don't really actually care.
Let us worry about this, we're willing to take on the role of ensuring that people aren't banned unfairly, if it means people feel more comfortable.

And then you will have more people complaining about us being too strict with no freedom of speech.
"People" complain about Skial regardless - let them, they'll always find something they dislike.

Reactions: T-Wayne

Blade D_Hero

Contributor

Someone was actually permabanned for telling an admin "I'm going to rape your parents" until it was brought to his attention to not do that for something so inane.

Bottiger

Administrator
Let us worry about this, we're willing to take on the role of ensuring that people aren't banned unfairly, if it means people feel more comfortable.

There's no way to deal with this fairly other than to ban whomever these people ask you to. They can pretend they feel the threat is real and you could never tell for sure whether they mean it or not.

"People" complain about Skial regardless - let them, they'll always find something they dislike.

But why add to the list of complaints?

We should try to limit the amount of policing that admins need to do to the bare minimum and let people have the freedom to do and say as much as possible.

I don't think a little special treatment is too much to ask to allow admins to address threats to themselves that are usually the result of taking care of the servers or jealous communities threatening and even carrying out ddos like kill-streak.

It is unfortunate that BBQ Prophet used the rule in an unintended way, but I do not think the rule should be removed or all-inclusive.

BBQ Prophet

Someone was actually permabanned for telling an admin "I'm going to rape your parents" until it was brought to his attention to not do that for something so inane.
Technically, as a legal caregiver, a threat against a dependent is a threat against oneself. The reason I selected in SourceBans was however incorrect. That's gravedigging from hell anyway; what is this, tattletale hour?
https://www.skial.com/threads/regarding-admin-disrespect.62832/#post-655046

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
We should try to limit the amount of policing that admins need to do to the bare minimum and let people have the freedom to do and say as much as possible.

I don't think a little special treatment is too much to ask to allow admins to address threats to themselves that are usually the result of taking care of the servers or jealous communities threatening and even carrying out ddos like kill-streak.

So why throw in threats against admins into the mix? If someone wants to tell me he's going to kill me I honestly couldn't care in the slightest. And again, I'm sure 90% of the admin team agrees with that sentiment. I'll care when someone tells me "Better watch out, I'll be in [city name] looking for you" or anything that might reveal personal information.

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
Technically, as a legal caregiver, a threat against a dependent is a threat against oneself. The reason I selected in SourceBans was however incorrect. That's gravedigging from hell anyway; what is this, tattletale hour?
https://www.skial.com/threads/regarding-admin-disrespect.62832/#post-655046

Perhaps if almost every admin decision you make wasn't heavily scrutinized by both the community and the rest of the admin team, I wouldn't have brought it up. But Bottiger said he trusts our admins wouldn't do something so petty, just had to show he shouldn't have his expectations too high.

White Moose

Positively Inhumane Poster
I'll care when someone tells me "Better watch out, I'll be in [city name] looking for you" or anything that might reveal personal information.
Why not make a anti doxxing rule then? Seems to me thats when most reasonable players would start caring.

Edit: Nevermind we got one already.

Last edited:

BBQ Prophet

Perhaps if almost every admin decision you make wasn't heavily scrutinized by both the community and the rest of the admin team, I wouldn't have brought it up. But Bottiger said he trusts our admins wouldn't do something so petty, just had to show he shouldn't have his expectations too high.
One of our nation's greatest Presidents, Abraham Lincoln, encouraged diversity of opinion, going so far as to hire his opponents as his Vice-President and Cabinet members. That is the kind of out-of-the-box thinking that prevents the stagnation so often seen in homogeneous, majority-driven institutions.
You're still gravedigging.
So why throw in threats against admins into the mix? If someone wants to tell me he's going to kill me I honestly couldn't care in the slightest. And again, I'm sure 90% of the admin team agrees with that sentiment. I'll care when someone tells me "Better watch out, I'll be in [city name] looking for you" or anything that might reveal personal information.
Because respect is essential to community. Sure, having thick skin is a good thing, but being a professional punching bag is not on our list of duties. Undermining staff in a serious way, like intimidation, undermines Skial as a whole. We don't totally disagree on this subject but you're just basically saying "ain't scared" over and over again when it comes to being threatened; you're missing the point.

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
One of our nation's greatest Presidents, Abraham Lincoln, encouraged diversity of opinion, going so far as to hire his opponents as his Vice-President and Cabinet members. That is the kind of out-of-the-box thinking that prevents the stagnation so often seen in homogeneous, majority-driven institutions.
You're still gravedigging.
And you're still fuckin up regularly.

Because respect is essential to community. Sure, having thick skin is a good thing, but being a professional punching bag is not on our list of duties. Undermining staff in a serious way, like intimidation, undermines Skial as a whole. We don't totally disagree on this subject but you're just basically saying "ain't scared" over and over again when it comes to being threatened; you're missing the point.

You're power tripping at this point. No one has to respect us on the servers lol. You DO sign up to be a punching bag, because you have to deal with people bitching at you on a daily basis because they don't agree with the rules and you're there to enforce them.

And yes, I'm not scared about some professional gamer telling me he's going to bash my head in. Neither is... anyone else on the admin team, apparently, because no other admins have banned for this at least as long as I've been on the team.

BBQ Prophet

And you're still fuckin up regularly.

You're power tripping at this point. No one has to respect us on the servers lol. You DO sign up to be a punching bag, because you have to deal with people bitching at you on a daily basis because they don't agree with the rules and you're there to enforce them.

And yes, I'm not scared about some professional gamer telling me he's going to bash my head in. Neither is... anyone else on the admin team, apparently, because no other admins have banned for this at least as long as I've been on the team.
Highly subjective and still missing the point about allowing threats against Skial. You see it your way, and it was denied.