Angry Man Dan

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
Contributor
They make the server a pain: a portion of the server is constantly afk in the skybox, caber demos abuse it with a shield to get air by grappling on the skybox (meaning they can forgo the sticky jumper for a shield), snipers have easy access to the train and ramp (obviously not so much the ramp but you get the idea), frequent spawncamping since it has facilitated travel to the skybox, and most importantly, your side of the battlements (where the small health packs are) is not safe anymore as people can instantly access it using the grapple hook. I'm sure 90% of the idle regs will agree with me here.

Reactions: Browŋies

Browŋies

Mildly Menacing Medic
I agree I do love the grapple but I'd rather people use pure skill to reach the skybox

P.S add spells :D

muffinman80

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
Agreed. The grappling hook is nice and all, but it's been nothing but a pain to deal with lately. Snipers have nearly unlimited access to the skybox, and constant spawncamping.

RAYQUAZARD

Mildly Menacing Medic
Contributor
life would've been easier in skial if it was not brought to idle, enabled, or invented to start with. at least, my brain feels this way from a grapple abuse stand point. i personally use it for 2 things; getting to sky box (my only safe haven in all of idle) and to repetitively bludgeon my friends for 1 to 3 damage till we stop and conga. whether it stays or goes makes no difference to me because one thing, although it would be dramatically suppressed, will still remain. phlog pyros and engies with teleporters. It's weird, at the hype of the grapple it was non stop, now its just random new commers getting a thrill in opposing spawns and the occasional toxic roll. so if anything it made camping happen less often from my eyes. so thats my thinking of it, non at all, its just a plugin, enable and disable as you please. - words of a problem neutral reg

Pariah95

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
+1

Seriously, the fact that the average player can now get to skybox in less than 20 seconds with little to no effort and camp your spawn as a phlog pyro/sticky-spammer demo has really gotten on my nerves.
Skybox snipers have become far more common now thanks to this, and its also pretty bad for the server that you cant farm as many kills as before now that a third of the server started idling up there.

Chance

Australian Skial God
Contributor
-1 I like grappling in Trade rip

Fucking wait. I honestly thought this said Trade.. +1 because Idle is fine without it.

Last edited:
Reactions: sboles

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor

It's idle. There's no real objective other than idling and messing around

Grappling hooks are a great 'mess around' tool just like RTD, donator perks and admins messing around with commands

Spawn camping is extremely easy to break, the skybox isn't some sacred thing and the 'battlements' were never safe to begin with.

ObamaDaGodMan \(^ω^\)

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Contributor
Thank you for bringing up this subject,It has been eating at my mind yet you have valid points. Not only is there a constant fear of spawncamping since anyone that can press 6 f2p/otherwise can enter your spawn as they will. The constant train snipers have become far more than a annoyance considering the fact that they can die and be right back up there sniping in less than 30 seconds. I can agree with you on the premise of being capable of going from blu's side to reds in only 5-6 seconds flat. Not only are players doing this obscenely hard to deal with,they will constantly come back time after time. Lets also not forget the fact that you can use the grapple as spy while invisible/disguised.

In my personal opinion the grapple is more trouble on idle than its worth. What you get at the end of the day is spiderman rage heavys,constant fear of spawn camping from spies/phlog pyros and the occasional caber demo/train sniper.

Angry Man Dan

Contributor

It's idle. There's no real objective other than idling and messing around

Grappling hooks are a great 'mess around' tool just like RTD, donator perks and admins messing around with commands

I don't see why that should stop it from being removed.

Spawn camping is extremely easy to break, the skybox isn't some sacred thing

This is true, but the point is that by the time you have stopped it and moved on to leveling your stranges there will already be somebody there, meaning if you want to keep it stopped you will have to sit there all day watching it, which nobody should have to do.

and the 'battlements' were never safe to begin with.

Again this is true, but 1. People can just +attack in the corner above your tunnel waiting for you to walk out and 2. People can jump down and go around the glass wall without you even noticing unless you are facing to the right, both of which mean you have to be constantly on edge if you don't want people to constantly get the drop on you, which is frustrating. Before the fastest way was travel across the small invisible boundaries of the idle conveyer belt, which left you vunlerable while going underneat the dividing glass wall since you had to crouch, and you had to travel across a predefined path making it predictable and easy to avoid. Grappling in the way I described has neither of those problems and is even faster.

Angry Man Dan

Contributor
If a majority of the idle community wants it gone then I don't see why we shouldn't remove it.
In addition I would like to point out that the -1's thus far have not been from people who have played on idle a significant amount since the grapple was added, which I can confirm as the person with the #1 amount of playtime on idle throughout all of skial.

Sargent¥

Australian Skial God
Contributor

Grapples make it easier to get around places but that not necessarily a bad thing, I'm certain whenever someone joins a map they have never played on, they wanna see everywhere, grapple makes it easier for newcomers and that, I'm more than happy to support. Also, it's not likely grapples give Snipers auto-aim, that they have to do, none of this should matter anyway cause, as Meowcenary said, the only point of idle is to well, idle

Angry Man Dan

Contributor

Grapples make it easier to get around places but that not necessarily a bad thing, I'm certain whenever someone joins a map they have never played on, they wanna see everywhere, grapple makes it easier for newcomers and that, I'm more than happy to support. Also, it's not likely grapples give Snipers auto-aim, that they have to do, none of this should matter anyway cause, as Meowcenary said, the only point of idle is to well, idle

As I said, the fact that they can get around places easier is the problem, and while it is true that it does not improve a sniper's aim, the fact that there are constantly snipers on the train poses a difficulty in trying to be friendly with people near the boxing ring, for example, because you usually won't notice them and by the time you have killed him and made your way back to the boxing ring again he will already be there again....

I'm sure that if you experienced its impact on idle yourself you would be for the decision to remove it, as are all the idle regs.

Angry Man Dan

Contributor
Evidence of the issue of spawncamping -

Blu spawn, which I was guarding:
http://prntscr.com/61m0lf

Red spawn, which was not guarded:
http://prntscr.com/61m0gy

These two occured at the same time, and that is no coincidence I can assure you. As you can see, it also turns off the f2ps because they assumed the campers to be hackers, which makes SargentY's point a double edged sword.

EDIT: http://prntscr.com/61m2yo
need I say more?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pariah95

Kyle

Australian Skial God
Contributor

You can use this same argument in favor of giving everyone no_clip on idle, and we will never do something like that for obvious reasons.

Reactions: Angry Man Dan

sboles

Australian Skial God
Contributor
+1

Saying -1 because it's idle is really stupid. If a new mechanic breaks an old map's design the map should either be edited or the mechanic removed.

Sargent¥

Australian Skial God
Contributor
You can use this same argument in favor of giving everyone no_clip on idle, and we will never do something like that for obvious reasons.
Ya can't enter spawn with grapples, if you could then they should be removed.