Jihadi Josh

Scarcely Lethal Noob
When a point is captured, it causes red to have 20-second respawns for a period of time (I think a minute).

If blue has momentum and gets some kills, it creates a problem where most of red is waiting to respawn, while the remaining reds die because they're outnumbered. Blue will often roll the cart all the way to the end, while each player on red can't do anything but wait 20 seconds to respawn, only to die to 4 guys attacking him right outta spawn.

I think this mechanic was meant to help break holds after a point was capped, but I don't think it fulfills this role very well. If blue has momentum, it ridiculously propagates it, and if red has a strong hold, the respawn time will do very little since hardly any reds will die in the first place.

I think there are 2 potential fixes. Either reduce the respawn time from 20 seconds to something like 12 or 15 seconds, or reduce the period of time that players receive the longer respawn to 30 seconds (so that each player could only receive one long respawn per cap).

Fairnessplease

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
In my opinion red should be instant on both sides, especially that now GR LA is VERY competitive (been like that for the past 2 years actually). But yes, I overall agree that it really needs to be reduced. It sucks to have a whole nest blown up on red side and wait 20 seconds to do it again, while blue can build that in that time the person is dead.

+1

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Are you looking at the regular respawn timer or the Skial one?

Skial uses custom respawn times on fast respawn servers which usually shows a second respawn timer somewhere on the screen saying "Respawning in X seconds" . It's a pop up with yellow colored text and a transparent background IIRC

Bottiger

Administrator
You need to specify which map it is. We have adjusted the respawn times to ensure as close to a 50% win chance for both teams. Unfortunately on Goldrush, the map is so biased towards red winning that even at 20 second respawns, red still has the advantage.

Jihadi Josh

Scarcely Lethal Noob
You need to specify which map it is. We have adjusted the respawn times to ensure as close to a 50% win chance for both teams. Unfortunately on Goldrush, the map is so biased towards red winning that even at 20 second respawns, red still has the advantage.
I exclusively play on Goldrush.

I don't think the server should try too hard to make sure it's 50/50 wins. Goldrush stage 3, for example, has a 30 second walk to last and lots of sentry spots. If blue has no teleporter and can't take out sentries, it won't matter how long the respawns are.

Fairnessplease

You'd be shocked to see how often blue side wins on GR LA. I've been on the server for more than 4-5 years and I can honestly say without a doubt Blue wins way more than red. I believe if spawn times are instant on both sides, that would be great. If not, I think 8 seconds would be good and see how that works from there to see if it needs more tweaking. Making the red side spawn time lower would make the server a lot more competitive and fun for both sides, which GR LA needs.

Bottiger

Administrator
We record statistics. Red wins 62% on Goldrush. On a map like Dustbowl the ratio is 51% so Goldrush is highly irregular.

Keep in mind that blue needs to win all 3 stages to count as a "win". This is how the maps were supposed to be designed but Valve utterly failed on Goldrush, even if we don't meddle with respawn times.

Jihadi Josh

Scarcely Lethal Noob
You'd be shocked to see how often blue side wins on GR LA. I've been on the server for more than 4-5 years and I can honestly say without a doubt Blue wins way more than red. I believe if spawn times are instant on both sides, that would be great. If not, I think 8 seconds would be good and see how that works from there to see if it needs more tweaking. Making the red side spawn time lower would make the server a lot more competitive and fun for both sides, which GR LA needs.
The spawn times are already 4 seconds for blue, and 8 seconds for red. What happens is that after blue caps a point, red temporarily gets 20 second respawns, and then they go back to 8 seconds after a minute

Also, 4 second respawns are much better than instant respawn. With instant respawn, people can bypass the killcam by changing classes, which most people don't know about.

We record statistics. Red wins 62% on Goldrush. On a map like Dustbowl the ratio is 51% so Goldrush is highly irregular.

Keep in mind that blue needs to win all 3 stages to count as a "win". This is how the maps were supposed to be designed but Valve utterly failed on Goldrush, even if we don't meddle with respawn times.
I suspect it's because stage 3 is too difficult, meaning blue often wins stage 1 and stage 2, but loses stage 3, so it's recorded as just 1 win for red, despite blue winning 2 stages.

With this style of stat recording, why is it important that blue wins stage 3 50% of the time? I myself enjoy that final explosion more than anyone else, yet I want the temporary 20 second respawn gone.

Bottiger

Administrator
Why is it important that blue wins stage 3 50% of the time? Because that's the way Valve designed all their other maps. All the other maps have close to a 50% win rate except for a few other outliers such as Upward so it was obvious that red is not intended to win most of the time on the first 2 stages.

Before we tried balancing to have a 50% chance to win each round and people complained that they never saw the 3rd round and got bored.

Fairnessplease

I wrote a valid opinion and I get dumb rated? For what? I just said Goldrush LA is COMPETITIVE that does not mean I need to get dumb rated for that.

Jihadi Josh

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Why is it important that blue wins stage 3 50% of the time? Because that's the way Valve designed all their other maps. All the other maps have close to a 50% win rate except for a few other outliers such as Upward so it was obvious that red is not intended to win most of the time on the first 2 stages.
Most maps are community-made maps, and Valve just adjusted the respawn time to make blue win half the time. Seems like a catch 22 to try to have a fast respawns and a 50% win rate.

Before we tried balancing to have a 50% chance to win each round and people complained that they never saw the 3rd round and got bored.
This would be a good reason, though I question how many people would complain about not playing Goldrush stage 3.

Bottiger

Administrator
Most maps are community-made maps, and Valve just adjusted the respawn time to make blue win half the time. Seems like a catch 22 to try to have a fast respawns and a 50% win rate.

This would be a good reason, though I question how many people would complain about not playing Goldrush stage 3.

Goldrush and quite a few other "official maps" were made by Valve. The instant respawn actually helps blue give a better chance.

I wish there was a way to lower red's respawn rate without making the win ratio even worse but there isn't. Blue's respawn times are already as low as possible.