• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

AnonSkialReporter

Scarcely Lethal Noob
is there a way?
i want to record demos in a way that will not allow anyone to find out who recorded the demo (if i record it by usual means, you can see the recording player's POV, which is a dead giveaway)
i want to report players breaking rules but i want to remain anonymous when doing so

RenZ

Face-Melting F2Per
Contributor
Not that I know of. You'll have to either try to get them all in a single demo with freecam spec or spectate and record them seperately.

AnonSkialReporter

Scarcely Lethal Noob
i just had an idea
i'm afraid the demo file itself might contain more information than i'd like (and idk how to check that), do you think videos of demo playback in freecam mode would be accepted as a valid proof of rule breaking? or does it have to be demo files?

also, since i don't remember, demos record voice chat as well, right?

RenZ

Face-Melting F2Per
Contributor
i just had an idea
i'm afraid the demo file itself might contain more information than i'd like (and idk how to check that), do you think videos of demo playback in freecam mode would be accepted as a valid proof of rule breaking? or does it have to be demo files?

also, since i don't remember, demos record voice chat as well, right?
Yes, demos do voice chat.

The demo file is fine. If you got multiple people, you'll have to point each tick and person out, especially if its long. You can choose to upload an mp4 to youtube or a file sharing site but I think demos are going to be a quicker upload.

Last edited:

AnonSkialReporter

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Yes, demos do voice chat.

The demo file is fine. If you got multiple people, you'll have to point each tick and person out, especially if its long. You can choose to upload an mp4 to youtube or a file sharing site but I think demos are going to be a quicker upload.
if the videos are fine, i will upload videos. i have full control over what a video file contains, unlike a demo file. anonymity right now is a higher priority to me than fast uploading.

HowIMetYourMother

Australian Skial God
Contributor
if the videos are fine, i will upload videos. i have full control over what a video file contains, unlike a demo file. anonymity right now is a higher priority to me than fast uploading.
I think you could bypass this if you find an admin who is willing to accept the demo in private message, when you trust the admin in question your anonymity is still in check. Just an idea.

AnonSkialReporter

Scarcely Lethal Noob
I think you could bypass this if you find an admin who is willing to accept the demo in private message, when you trust the admin in question your anonymity is still in check. Just an idea.
i'll consider it
although i think a video file might actually take less time to upload, if i were to automatically record demos of all of my games, these files could get pretty beefy, as playing for about 2 hours in one sitting is quite expected of me
so a video might ultimately be smaller, it doesn't have to be 1080p 60fps gameplay you know, just clear enough to see

RenZ

Face-Melting F2Per
Contributor
I mean, if you don't link your steam account, you should be fine regularly reporting on the forums.

I honestly don't get why you need to remain anonymous, I've reported a lot of people and only needed to change my name once.

AnonSkialReporter

Scarcely Lethal Noob
there's some prick that's been tracking me through servers after i reported him for something (i am able to tell you that only because he's been doing that to multiple people), forcing me to set my profile to private
i don't want to deal with this shit, that's why i wish to remain anonymous

steam account link is one thing, but what's the point of not doing it if i submit a demo with my own POV...

AnonSkialReporter

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Use an alt account when you want to go into observer mode
and potentially miss on the opportunity to gather evidence? my pc might be fast, but these 5 minutes taken to switch might be crucial
if i want to be certain i have evidence, the only way for me is to record my entire gameplay into a demo

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
and potentially miss on the opportunity to gather evidence? my pc might be fast, but these 5 minutes taken to switch might be crucial
if i want to be certain i have evidence, the only way for me is to record my entire gameplay into a demo
I mean use the alt account from the start instead of switching. There's not really anything that limits you (gameplay wise) when you hop on a different account.

AnonSkialReporter

Scarcely Lethal Noob
I mean use the alt account from the start instead of switching. There's not really anything that limits you (gameplay wise) when you hop on a different account.
oh, that sounds better
i still miss on gathering points on my stranges and showing off my cosmetics though :) i don't like juggling steam accounts either way (doesn't really apply on forums since i wasn't visiting these forums for purposes other than reporting players anyway)

RenZ

Face-Melting F2Per
Contributor
there's some prick that's been tracking me through servers after i reported him for something (i am able to tell you that only because he's been doing that to multiple people), forcing me to set my profile to private
i don't want to deal with this shit, that's why i wish to remain anonymous

steam account link is one thing, but what's the point of not doing it if i submit a demo with my own POV...
I've also been chased by people I've reported, one such one always noted when I joined because I reported them. I learned to not care about those people and continue to report when I saw something. I did eventually change my name for the sake of being undercover so that I might catch this group off guard.

TL;DR of the story is to simply not care about other people here, they may harass you for reporting them and just keep a vigilant eye despite the distractions.

AnonSkialReporter

Scarcely Lethal Noob
I've also been chased by people I've reported, one such one always noted when I joined because I reported them. I learned to not care about those people and continue to report when I saw something. I did eventually change my name for the sake of being undercover so that I might catch this group off guard.

TL;DR of the story is to simply not care about other people here, they may harass you for reporting them and just keep a vigilant eye despite the distractions.
what's a name change gonna help you once they have a link to your steam profile?
i've already made up my mind. if this hadn't bothered me so much i wouldn't be messing around with this. i don't want to be restricting my profile because of some guy.