Cream Tea

Epic Skial Regular
Legendary Mapper
It is clear to me that there are two conflicting playerbases now in the "deathrun community" and that is those who want to enjoy classic deathrun and those who wish to play more so-called "parkour" deathrun maps. The deathrun server has already tried some of these maps and they were removed due to being unpopular with the "main" deathrun playerbase however there is still a demand for them by others. So I believe that the best solution would be to have a separate server to cater to them rather than trying to force the main deathrun players to endure them.

What makes a deathrun map a "parkour" map? Well that's where opinions can vary but the general consensus is that any map that requires skillful platforming beyond simple jumping to the point that most players find it difficult. The following list is what I consider to be hardcore, or "parkour", deathrun maps:
  • dr_cybertower
  • dr_waterrun
  • dr_forgotten_origin
  • dr_nighttown
  • dr_js_arcade
  • dr_neonoir
  • dr_technoir
  • dr_bearrun
  • dr_mlg_bearrun
  • dr_bearrush
  • dr_grizzly
  • dr_outrun
  • dr_crystal
  • dr_pq
There are enough maps that fit the criteria to fill a separate rotation and I think it would be a great idea.

Scrotes

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Contributor
I'm not sure it would have any longevity, but I guess it would be better than that silly EU server that remains empty 90% of the time.

+1?

Bottiger

Administrator
I have removed all those maps from the deathrun servers and moved them to a new server called "Parkour".

91.216.250.51:27015

The maps have been renamed to have the "par_" prefix to indicate that it is separate from deathrun.

worMatty

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Mapper
It's not parkour, it's platforming.
There is already a parkour mode in TF2 and it involves actual parkour movements like wall-running. It's called Parkour Fortress and it's very different.
TF2 platforming maps don't resemble parkour as they are a prescribed route that mostly requires hopping from platform to platform. Hence the name.

EDIT: And you know renaming maps breaks things. The dr prefix is surely fine as they are still deathrun maps underneath. Why duplicate files unnecessarily and cause further confusion? Call a spade a spade and say it's 'hardcore deathrun' or just platforming deathrun. Don't dress it up in Minecraft terms.

Last edited:

Bottiger

Administrator
If I remember correctly, parkour fortress is a game mode that only ran on slag's servers which have long been dead so he can't really have a claim on the name.

And the maps don't seem to fit the game mode so they should have a different name imo. Keeping the names the same would encourage people to think it is the same game mode.

Reactions: Pot Head Wabbit

worMatty

Mapper
Parkour Fortress Redux has been going for a few years now. The plugin is available for anyone to use and there are servers up for it. The team makes an appearance at annual charity events. Admittedly the servers don't see much traffic, which is a shame. That game mode doesn't have a claim on the name but it is an accurate description. Calling platforming parkour is not.

Some of these platforming-centric deathrun maps may have a reduced activator experience but they still have activatable traps, and they require a blue player. They are closer to deathrun than parkour. Players should be under no illusion that they are deathrun maps because that's what they are. The server name alone should be enough for people to understand the difference.

Scrotes

Contributor
Renaming maps is not a good idea. Maps that rely on level_sounds or particles.txt will break.
You're also forcing people to download duplicates of maps, which is entirely unnecessary.
And, those not in the know how might not even realize these are "hard deathrun maps", and may mistake these for a sole PvE gamemode.
Basically, you'll have the opposite intended effect of less players (because they think this is something else).

Bottiger

Administrator
I know it will break some stuff but there really needs to be a separation between these 2 types of maps because they clearly appeal to 2 different types of players. Players and map makers should get used to separating the two.

Basically, you'll have the opposite intended effect of less players (because they think this is something else).
They are though.

arctic dino

Mapper
Renaming maps is not a good idea. Maps that rely on level_sounds or particles.txt will break.
You're also forcing people to download duplicates of maps, which is entirely unnecessary.
And, those not in the know how might not even realize these are "hard deathrun maps", and may mistake these for a sole PvE gamemode.
IIRC it also breaks cubemaps, resulting in the black-and-purple error texture.

Bottiger

Administrator
The server was not connectable due to not having the firewall whitelist the IP, should be fixed now.

Scrotes

Contributor
I know it will break some stuff but there really needs to be a separation between these 2 types of maps because they clearly appeal to 2 different types of players. Players and map makers should get used to separating the two.

They are though.
"some stuff"
(cybertower and PQ relying entirely on custom soundscript entries to do anything)
im pretty sure a single word "Hardcore" is enough to tell people the difference between casual silly DR maps and what we have here. renaming the entire gamemode is too obtuse.

Reactions: Bloodpop