Auntie Sotaar

Mildly Menacing Medic
Recently, a user had an issue with an exploit involving a player being infinitely Ubercharged whilst in the opposing team's spawn area. I had posted my most likely unneeded insight as a comment, but I felt the need to dedicate a separate post to resolving this issue. I hope this is a thorough post and I can assist in resolving the issue without the total removal of the plugin.

Currently, the solution executed was the removal of the !friendly command. As a regular on the idle server, I waited quite a while for the opportunity of such a command so i could enjoy the community without having to worry about being gunned down by a F2P or someone being a general annoyance killing everyone in sight. Though I agree the Uber exploit is a serious issue, having dealt with it myself both being Ubered (yes, I am guilty) and fighting off someone Ubered. However, there is a way to remove the exploit without removing the plugin.

The way the exploit works is that a Medic on Team A builds up an Uber, then goes into A's spawn area. The Medic then activates their Uber on someone while having the advanced option of continuous healing enabled, and then switches to friendly mode. The Medic loses its Uber normally, but the game still thinks that the other player is still Ubered, as it never ran out before the Medic's Medigun was removed from their inventory upon entering friendly mode. The reason the Medic can keep their charge is that they don't have to respawn to switch to friendly mode while in their own spawn area.

I believe the easiest way to fix this problem is to make it so players HAVE to respawn to enter friendly mode. By this, I mean that using the !friendly command should slay the user instantly. That way, a Medic attempting to activate this will not be able to retain their Ubercharge upon switching to friendly mode, rendering the exploit impossible to use.

Again, as someone who enjoys the ability to spend their time without being murdered, I hope we, on the idle server, get to see it stay. If there's any other information regarding this that you need to know, or if you have any comments on this, feel free to share. I can more thank likely supply any extra needed information regarding this plugin, as I've done fluent testing with it ever since it was added.

Also, I apologize if this comes off as being backseat admin, this is not my intention. I simply wish to have the plugin remain whilst it being exploit-free.

Thank you for your time, and I hope to see this issue resolved and the idle server friendly once more.

KinCryos

TF2 Admin
Contributor
Mapper
since the plugin was never updated to block taunting with the Fortified Compound, friendlies can use it to tauntkill.

this can be fixed in two ways:
  • setting the sm_friendly_blocktaunt CVAR to "37,1003,304,56,1005,142,1092"
    • (the first 6 IDs are provided by the source and I think they need to be included for a custom list to use the defaults in addition)
  • altering a piece of the source so the default blocked taunts include the Compound:
from
Code:
#define DEFAULT_BLOCKED_TAUNTS "37,1003,304,56,1005,142"
/* Default taunt-blocked weapons are:
    37   - Ubersaw
    1003 - Festive Ubersaw
    304  - Amputator
    56   - Huntsman
    1005 - Festive Huntsman
    142  - Gunslinger
*/
to