• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

Ordingandr

Unremarkable User
Hi, I am just a regular TF2 player, about 1 year ago I was playing on a game mode with some friends, and as im sure you know it was death run, since then I've spent over 1270 hours on TF2, and about 90% of them are on Skial EU DR, and since that time I've seen the server change a lot, and not in a good way, most of the current issues are with the maps on the server, they are a decent selection of maps, but only around 6 of them get played currently. However, this wasn't the case about a year ago, most of if not all the maps got played frequently and it was nice to have the selection. So, I've decided to make this thread to ask can we change some of the maps that don't get played and possibly add some kind of cooldown timer to the most frequent maps played on DR EU. The following is the current map list as of 29/01/2016, and my own thoughts as well as other frequent DR players:

vsh_dr_sawmill -Underplayed, but a overall decent map. There is 1 major bug tho, where the elevator is it wont activate unless hale activates the pumpkin trap, and hale can stay on the elevator after it has gone down and stop the map from continuing.

dr_pirate_adventure_fix - Very bad map, compared to older versions, this version is very bad, most players cant make it past the first few traps, even experienced players struggle on this version of the map. In another thread I have made a recommendation to change this map back to the older version, and have provided a link to the older version.

dr_simpsons_costom -As for this map I have not played it yet as it doesn't seem to get voted that often, however, most people have said that the endings for the map are bad, but the map its self is okay. I am sorry that I cannot give my own opinion on this map.

vsh_dr_newporkcity_v1 -Good map, not too much to complain about other than the minigames, the main one that gets played is a little long and a little hard to survive through, (you have you doge slow, incoming rockets) and the other is a VSH styled minigame, but hale is invisible, if he wasn't the mini would be more balanced as currently hale only has 200 hp but has some resistance to back it up.

dr_undertale_b2p -Overall a good map made by @Cream Tea, but has 2 main issues, 1 being that the first trap is a sacrifice, which is a common "trap" on DR maps, so its 50/50 if you think this trap is good or bad, and the 2nd is the skeletons about halfway in the map, you have to be some of the first people to get there to survive them, if you are late there is a very little chance that you will survive it, my recommendation is change it to a new trap or get rid of it completely. With all that being said it a good map.

dr_4halls_v4 -Very good map, onyl 1 real issue, being that if some players get ahead of the others, hale can activate the final 50/50 trap and stop other players getting to the end of the map, other than that the map is very nice!

dr_bigroom_remake_final - Personally im not a huge fan of the way the map looks, but it is pretty fun to play on, only main issues are the minigames, other than that the map itself is good.

dr_cocainum_xmas_morning_v4p -Possibly the most popular map on Skial DR EU, overall not a bad map, traps are good, the minigames are fun and the map looks good. Not really anything to complain about.

dr_office_v6_b3p -Another popular map, most bugs have been fixed, current version is very nice and a fun map to play on.

dr_aztecan_v5 -Personally I dont like this map, the intro for the map takes way to long as its a 1/4 on getting it right, and by the time you do you usually only have around 1.5 mins before the motivator comes making it very hard to get past some traps where you need more time, overall id say this map is bad,

vsh_dr_block_v6_fix2 -Also another popular map, doesn't look to great but is a simple map and very fun to play on with good traps, and the music easter egg adds a new song every few rounds which is nice.

dr_bandicoot_egypt_fix3 -A simple map that is somewhat underplayed, but is a well made map and fun to play on, only 2 issues, one of the moving traps and get stuck, but this rarely ever happens, and the VSH minigame is broke, as soon as you enter red team wins.

dr_ironworks_beta_fix3 -Very fun map to play on, the part of the maps with the trap is kinda short, but is made up with a interesting minigame "boss fight" where you have to doge lasers to win, although this is somewhat fun for the runners, hale is in a box just watching, which usually leads to players playing as hale suiciding, other than that the map is very fun.

dr_psykopat_dmgfix -A very unique map with a few jump scares, the traps are somewhat easy to avoid, other than that a decent map.

dr_safety_first_fix -Probably the 2nd most popular DR map on Skial, map is fun to play with a nice theme and traps. not much to say about it as its well made and just fun to play.

dr_supermario64_v6b -Another overall fun map to play on, noting really to complain about, well made, looks nice, good traps and the music is good.

dr_trollrun_final_v2 -Good map that a lot of players like to play, good traps and fun to play.

dr_manor_alpha_03 -Manor is one of those map where you will love it or hate it, for me its not great but not bad, has 1 major flaw being that hale has to activate a trap to get to the other part of the map, other than that the traps are not that bad and the map looks nice.

dr_wintervalley_final -This feels like a long map, but is fun to playthrough, only major downside is the 50/50 trap in the middle, can take a while for players to go which can result in long games, which then results in the map becoming repetitive.

dr_minecraft_b10 -BAD map, most of the traps are placed close together, which means if you are a fast class, such as pyro, you can run past most of them and split up the team, making it hard for hale to kill players and resulting in a mess,

dr_horrors -One of the first horror themed maps, its a good map with decent traps, 2 issues, you can stop 1 of the traps from moving, blocking players from getting past, and the main minigame is boring and usually ends up with hale falling into the water and being killed.

So thats all of the maps currently on Skial DR EU, I might of missed one or 2 so if I have please put a reply with the maps name and ill edit this thread. Im going to post the maps names again with what I think should be done to them:

vsh_dr_sawmill -Keep
dr_pirate_adventure_fix -Change to the older version
dr_simpsons_costom -REMOVE and replace with dr_cryptnecrodancer_v6
vsh_dr_newporkcity_v1 -Keep
dr_undertale_b2p -Keep but change the skeleton trap
dr_4halls_v4 -Keep
dr_bigroom_remake_final -Keep but change minigame
dr_cocainum_xmas_morning_v4p -Keep
dr_office_v6_b3p -Keep
dr_aztecan_v5 -REMOVE and possibly replace with dr_mario_b3
vsh_dr_block_v6_fix -Keep
dr_bandicoot_egypt_fix3 -Keep
dr_ironworks_beta_fix3 -Keep
dr_psykopat_dmgfix -Keep
dr_safety_first_fix -Keep
dr_supermario64_v6b -Keep
dr_trollrun_final_v2 -Keep
dr_manor_alpha_03 -Keep
dr_wintervalley_final -Keep
dr_minecraft_b10 -REMOVE and change with minecraftworld_skial2 (I can make a download for this map)
dr_horrors -Keep

These are just my thoughts, I used to play DR all the time because of how fun the maps were, now I just feel that DR has become stale and boring, if the maps could be changed in the ways mentions I think that could bring new players and old players back to DR, if you have any suggestions for map changes or ideas post them, I know myself and im sure others would love to hear them, thank you for taking the time to read this thread, I know that this is a long post.

Cream Tea

Epic Skial Regular
Legendary Mapper
Luckily today is the day where I have promised to work on undertale, Perhaps once players get through they have to press a button? Or if you want a fool-proof way just when a player is out, the skeletons stop spawning or even break?

As for the other maps, I can agree dr_sawmill is underplayed, but I don't know if this grants a removal or not.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Luckily today is the day where I have promised to work on undertale, Perhaps once players get through they have to press a button? Or if you want a fool-proof way just when a player is out, the skeletons stop spawning or even break?

As for the other maps, I can agree dr_sawmill is underplayed, but I don't know if this grants a removal or not.

If you're looking for some criticism on undertale, some people have been complaining about the skeletons.

I think they're neat and fit the map theme but they seem to be a bit OP unless you're dropping in with a lot of people at once

Cream Tea

Epic Skial Regular
Legendary Mapper
If you're looking for some criticism on undertale, some people have been complaining about the skeletons.

I think they're neat and fit the map theme but they seem to be a bit OP unless you're dropping in with a lot of people at once
Yeah the thing is because it's based on the team defending from the skeletons, If half the team don't go in then that creates a problem.

What if, when one person goes in everybody get's teleported there? Would that work perhaps?

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Yeah the thing is because it's based on the team defending from the skeletons, If half the team don't go in then that creates a problem.

What if, when one person goes in everybody get's teleported there? Would that work perhaps?

Yeah that could work

Another complaint I heard from some people is the map being on the short side, Hale loses most of the time due to the sheer amount of people

Cream Tea

Epic Skial Regular
Legendary Mapper
Alright, I'll think about where I can extend it, I'm working on it right now so I'll have a look.