some-mapper

Uncharitable Spy
Mapper
Sorry for the delay, had to get it play tested to make sure everything worked properly.

Minor Changes
- Fixed a bunch of clipping issues
- Fixed soundscape not playing inside buildings
- Fixed being able to build in spawn-rooms
- Replaced Reds first spawn death trigger with a teleport
- Added a teleport to Reds second spawn
- Added more room to one of the staircases on first (first screenshot)
- Added nobuild to places engineers could trap people
- Removed blue light above 2nd so you can tell teams apart
- Removed health and ammo pack skins

Major changes
- Fixed all places you could get out of the map
- Fixed entities blowing up last point
- Replaced elevator with jump-pad
- Added a small balcony on last

Download: https://mega.nz/#!BXgS0JZI!tsunPLyCQW013owAd9_Sn3K1jcmaoUYiXWEIOxgnL8k

ndy05z8.jpg

qh3eDo7.jpg

Mentalpatient

Mildly Menacing Medic
How did you handle the entity triggering the capture?

There were two func_door entities with a height of 4. Did you just increase the height?

haytil

Mildly Menacing Medic
Thank you for your effort.

I would like to point out a few changes that I think should perhaps be left out - I tend to think map changes should be conservative, and mostly limited to bug-fixes and glitches specifically.

Minor Changes
- Fixed being able to build in spawn-rooms

I feel like this departure from TF2 conventions must have been left deliberately, for balance reasons. Metropolis is a long map, being able to build in spawn (and keep certain teleporters safe from spies) is probably critical to a balanced game (especially in a fast respawn situation).

- Added more room to one of the staircases on first (first screenshot)

Why did you feel this geometry change was necessary?

- Added nobuild to places engineers could trap people

Not sure where you mean, but I tend to think Engineers building traps can be fun and important. Engineer (my main) is ultimately a pretty boring class, so anything to spice things up for them is key. Also, on a fast respawn, ubers can easily take down Engineer traps already, so I don't feel they're overpowered.

- Removed health and ammo pack skins

I feel like the future skins for health and ammo are part of the futuristic atmosphere of the map - though I understand if Skial wants to keep those gameplay elements looking the same for consistency's sake.

Major changes
- Replaced elevator with jump-pad

I think this is by far the most problematic change.

First, I think the elevator is a cool, unique feature that really add's to Metropolis's ambiance (an elevator is often seen for the first time by TF2 player on Metropolis!).

Second, without having to wait for the elevator doors and the elevator to make its return trip, it becomes WAY too easy for an enemy to sneak back there to kill the snipers. The delay of the elevator also offers an opportunity for teammates to warn their sniper comrades about incoming enemies.

The snipers aren't currently immune - there's no reason to make them fish in a barrel and stack things way too far against them.

- Added a small balcony on last

I wonder if this will make the last-point corner bottleneck too hard for Blue to manage. That balcony makes targeting sentries with ubers, soldiers, and spies much harder.

some-mapper

Uncharitable Spy
Mapper
How did you handle the entity triggering the capture?

There were two func_door entities with a height of 4. Did you just increase the height?
I added a filter_activator_name to the trigger on last. The map was so old it never had one.

I feel like this departure from TF2 conventions must have been left deliberately, for balance reasons. Metropolis is a long map, being able to build in spawn (and keep certain teleporters safe from spies) is probably critical to a balanced game (especially in a fast respawn situation).
Spies should always be able to kill teleporters, nothing should be able to be built in spawns ever.

Why did you feel this geometry change was necessary?
The change is so minuscule, if I didnt mention it, you would have never known I changed anything. Anyway, its just a quality of life thing so you don't smash your head into it.

Not sure where you mean, but I tend to think Engineers building traps can be fun and important. Engineer (my main) is ultimately a pretty boring class, so anything to spice things up for them is key. Also, on a fast respawn, ubers can easily take down Engineer traps already, so I don't feel they're overpowered.
Engineers should NEVER be able to trap people, its just griefing.

I feel like the future skins for health and ammo are part of the futuristic atmosphere of the map - though I understand if Skial wants to keep those gameplay elements looking the same for consistency's sake.
Sure, they look cool until you are on fire looking for a medkit and you come across 2 different packs that you cant tell the difference from a glance.

I think this is by far the most problematic change.

First, I think the elevator is a cool, unique feature that really add's to Metropolis's ambiance (an elevator is often seen for the first time by TF2 player on Metropolis!).

Second, without having to wait for the elevator doors and the elevator to make its return trip, it becomes WAY too easy for an enemy to sneak back there to kill the snipers. The delay of the elevator also offers an opportunity for teammates to warn their sniper comrades about incoming enemies.

The snipers aren't currently immune - there's no reason to make them fish in a barrel and stack things way too far against them.
The reason I changed the elevator to a jump pad is because you can actually get the elevator stuck. You also get stuck in the elevator. Its also a glitchy mess, elevators should never be in multiplayer games.

I wonder if this will make the last-point corner bottleneck too hard for Blue to manage. That balcony makes targeting sentries with ubers, soldiers, and spies much harder.
Out of all the games I played on metro yesterday, we held ONCE because we had 4 crit medics. Adding a tiny balcony which can be spammed from 4 different spot (3 of which the sentry wont even be able to reach). Spies can also use the jump pad and hop across the pipe to the balcony for an alternate sap route.

Last edited:

Drum

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Mapper
Looks pretty good to me. I'd just make sure engies can't build up here:

Qm4yFul.png

eyVPG15.png

some-mapper

Uncharitable Spy
Mapper
Looks pretty good to me. I'd just make sure engies can't build up here:
Just checked in hammer, I did have nobuild up there, but it was hidden. I guess I accidentally disabled it before the last compile, woops.

I'll do a recompile now.

some-mapper

Uncharitable Spy
Mapper
I have updated the map, its still the same link and version, not worth changing it since I don't think more than 1 or 2 people have downloaded it.

Changes:
Fixed a nobuild location

Reactions: Cream Tea

some-mapper

Uncharitable Spy
Mapper
Minor Changes
- Made all spectator cameras accessible
- Fixed clipping issues
- Fixed a teleporter trap
- Fixed cart getting stuck when rolling back on first point
- Replaced one of the medium ammo packs with a large one on last

Major changes
- Changed the balcony on last (since a lot of people didn't even know it existed)
- Reduced last cap time increase by 1 minute (5:30 > 4:30)
- Fixed HDR lighting*

For the people that said that I changed the map lighting, I had to re-implement some glowing textures. I tried to get them as close as I could to the original, but there is no way to know (since the values are set in the rad file and lost on compile). There are only a handful of these glowing textures, so it wouldn't change the overall brightness of the map.

* HDR lighting on the map was SUPER bright (so much so it was blown out), I'm guessing that was why people were saying the lighting was wonky. I did not find anything wrong in my first release because it didn't happen when I loaded into the map directly. To recreate it I had to load into a completely different map and then load Metropolis afterward for the brightness to be blown out (I don't use HDR, so I found it accidentally while playing with HDR stuff).

Download: https://mega.nz/#!lHhmkCqI!2rVXRYzarHMjt6asLrcmfMO5aCYbjhJWhswyDfeDoqI