KOS-MOS

Uncharitable Spy
At the current moment, I think it's not worth it. Unless you're running 3-4 cards at once across an extremely large resolution PCI-E 2.1 works fine for now. Possibly in a year or so maybe. Personally, I see the APU gaining faster speeds better then PCI-E 3.0

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
At the current moment, I think it's not worth it. Unless you're running 3-4 cards at once across an extremely large resolution PCI-E 2.1 works fine for now. Possibly in a year or so maybe. Personally, I see the APU gaining faster speeds better then PCI-E 3.0
No crap, it's right on the die; latency is going to be leagues better. I wouldn't expect APUs to beat GPUs in power any time soon, though I doubt that's what they're aiming for.

KOS-MOS

Uncharitable Spy
Yeah, but the latency is still there from the travel distance from the GPU to the CPU. APUs narrow that to as little as possible, that's why I think APUs will reach faster speeds.

Roman

Banned
Contributor
PCI-E 3.0 has more throughput, but what about real-world usage? lpN and I were talking about this last night and decided that sticking a newer GPU into a 2.0 slot would probably have no discernable difference for now.

KOS-MOS

Uncharitable Spy
PCI-E 3.0 has more throughput, but what about real-world usage? lpN and I were talking about this last night and decided that sticking a newer GPU into a 2.0 slot would probably have no discernable difference for now.

^^ This

lpN

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
By the time 3.0 is even useful, the nvidia gtx 600 series might be obsolete.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Got MB with 3.0 slot today at work. Will perform some testing if I have a chance.

Roman

Banned
Contributor
Stress tests will make sure it works.

Benchmarks will show what it could do.

Games will show what it actually means to us.

Roman

Banned
Contributor
"Yes, this is work related."
13092058124.jpg