BigTDog

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Just curious, im thinking about buying a nintendo 64, is it worth? I've heard alot of good things about it, yet the games are so expensive.

TEhMAn92

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
If you feel like having it as a collection piece, sure go ahead

Personally i'd roam around thrift shops as that'll normally be the cheaper way to grab one, but it might take a while til one shows up.
It ain't that expensive on ebay though, so if ya don't wanna wait just do that.

However... games, yeah. Well once again, thrifting is an option, and not all games are super expensive.
But with more sought after titles being more costly, you can save that money and look into getting a flashcart http://retrorgb.com/romcarts.html

Meowrisa

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I luckily still have my N64, 2 controllers, and a bunch of games.
I'd recommend emulating it if you want it for the games, and thrift shops (like TEhMAn said) or buying used for collections, as almost all of the good games are worth lots of $$$ new. It's not worth it to have the box IMO.

Chance

Australian Skial God
Contributor
There's no point in getting a Nintendo 64 anymore unless you're a collector. Or if there are a few games that you really like that just so happen to not be on the virtual console. But if that's the case just emulate them, it really isn't worth it with the N64's shitty controller.

mike-kirby

Positively Inhumane Poster
But if that's the case just emulate them, it really isn't worth it with the N64's shitty controller.
How do you play with that controller. It's an amazing controller with more options than others, and feels great imo. And the button layout is just perfect.

Chance

Australian Skial God
Contributor
How do you play with that controller. It's an amazing controller with more options than others, and feels great imo. And the button layout is just perfect.
The N64 controller? The only way I'll use that thing is if I replace the joystick with a gamecube joystick or just buy a horipad. It's joystick is just atrocious.

shoooooooooooooooo

Australian Skial God
Contributor
n64 controller is garbage, the joystick, on top of being low quality to begin with, comes loose fast and goes way too far to the edge when you're pushing it. It doesn't have that many options because unless you're a three armed mutant you're only gonna be using half the controller. Gamecube controller is much better in pretty much every way. more buttons, analog l and r buttons, and has the pro of, you know, giving you access to left side of the controller

I compared it to the gamecube controller to give you an idea of what a real controller is

the games on the n64 are cool though...