Lord Scrambles

Face-Melting F2Per
You can sell your brain to Voltaire for a medium tier unusual. Also, your soul is worth less than Plumpkins inventory.

That's all the advice I got.

Ozone

Server-Clearing Cynic
As far as terms go, there isn't much that you'll run across. On the trading sites you'll see C/O and B/O, C/O being the current best offer the person has, B/O is their buy out (instant sell) price.

You'll see prices get tossed out such as 1.33 or 2.66. Each whole unit is a ref, .33 would be a reclaimed. So 2.33 would be 2 refined metal, 1 reclaimed. Less often you'll see something like 1.22, .22 being 1 scrap.

For items that aren't currently the hot thing, chances are you can still get spreadsheet price for them but it will take a bit longer to sell on sites such as tf2outpost and tf2tp. Might be better off hitting up trade servers for those items. If you value your time and want to move the item quickly, knock the price down just slightly from the spreadsheet (don't do it if you're going to take a loss), someone will snatch it up in a hurry hoping to turn around and make a profit off it.

As far as unusuals, its a fucked up market and avoid it as long as you can =P

Edit, other term I just thought you might run across, sweets. You'll see it a lot actually, essentially they want you to add a little anything really to sweeten the deal. So you'll see someone selling a Strange Machina for 13 keys + sweets. Sometimes they'll want a craft hat, maybe a ref or less, who knows.
0.22 ain't a scrap, 0.11 is a scrap.

[BR0NY] Sureshot™

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
yes, what mystic ownage said
Unusual hats can only be unboxed in a crate, and theres a 1.00% chance to get one, these can go for buds, and you could be rich. But its a big gamble.
A great way to earn some profit is scrap banking. What is scrap banking? Well, when you create scrap metal, you have to take two weapons from the same class and smelt them down into scrap. Well, scrap bankers will pay 1 scrap metal for any two clean weapons. Know, say you scrap banked for a guy and a payed a scrap for a clean ubersaw, and clean quickfix, later, someone comes along looking for these weapons. These can sell for a scrap each only if someone is looking for it. So now you end up with double what you originally had. This is a awesome way for earning profit, but i don't do it myself, because most the time it takes dedication.
Also, look at this thread about duped items. Duped items greatly are greatly lower in value, but some people will try to sell it to you for full price, so refer to this on how to spot one.
http://www.skial.com/threads/how-to-spot-duped-items.15040/
(sorry if i made any mistakes in explaining)

ViperStriker

Banned
Contributor
Need help with basic TF2 Trading Terms

Basic Trading Terms in TF2:
Scrap: Scrap Metal, crafted when you combine 2 weapons from the same class that are craftable.
Rec: Reclaimed Metal, crafted when you combine 3 Scrap Metal
Ref: Refined Metal, crafted when you combine 3 Reclaimed Metal
Craft Hat: Just a normal Hat that is craftable using the crafting system, but it cannot be hats available to all, like Ghastly Gibuses (Gibii?)
Keys: Mann Co. Supply Crate Keys, able to be bought from the in-game Mann Co. Store, right now, price of Keys is 2.33 to 3 Ref, which is 2 Refined Metal, 1 Reclaimed Metal all the way to 3 Refined Metal.
Bills: Common name for a Bill's Hat, a promo item from LFD2, worth about 10 to 12 Keys.
Buds: Common name for Earbuds, a promo item from the Mac Update, worth upwards of 25 to 30 Keys, or 2-3 Bills
Unusuals: Usually worth from >1 Bud to upwards of 5-6 Buds.

Nul1

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Wow, thanks everyone. I got a lot more than I was expecting. I'm intrigued by scrap banking, sounds nice and simple. And thanks for the link sureshot. I actually already read that thread along with most the other helpful scam spotting threads. Guess I got some trading to do. :D

Ozone

Server-Clearing Cynic
Basic Trading Terms in TF2:
Scrap: Scrap Metal, crafted when you combine 2 weapons from the same class that are craftable.
Rec: Reclaimed Metal, crafted when you combine 3 Scrap Metal
Ref: Refined Metal, crafted when you combine 3 Reclaimed Metal
Craft Hat: Just a normal Hat that is craftable using the crafting system, 2.but it cannot be hats available to all, like Ghastly Gibuses (Gibii?)
Keys: Mann Co. Supply Crate Keys, able to be bought from the in-game Mann Co. Store, right now, price of 1.Keys is 2.33 to 3 Ref, which is 2 Refined Metal, 1 Reclaimed Metal all the way to 3 Refined Metal.
3. Bills: Common name for a Bill's Hat, a promo item from LFD2, worth about 10 to 12 Keys.
4. Buds: Common name for Earbuds, a promo item from the Mac Update, worth upwards of 25 to 30 Keys, or 2-3 Bills
5. Unusuals: Usually worth from >1 Bud to upwards of 5-6 Buds.
Alright, let's use my list of "wtf is wrong here":
1. keys are around 2.44 ref. Sometimes some kind soul sells them for 2.33 ref, but when they're not sold for 2.44 ref they're usually sold for 2.55 from some metalgrubbingsonovabitch.
2. Some hats are available to all but they're craftable as fuck. Achievement hats are, from what I've seen, not accepted as craft hats.
3. Usually around 8-10 keys. White or black painted are worth more.
4. From what I've seen, worth around 24 keys atm.
5. They're not "worth from >1 Bud to upwards of 5-6 Buds" they can be worth somewhere around a bills(cancer hat with cancer effect) or, from what I've seen, 10+ buds(awesome hats and/or effects).
That's all for my list of "wtf is wrong here" for now.

ViperStriker

Banned
Contributor
I have no clue what I'm talking about

1. I sell Keys at 2.33 to 2.66.
2. Only real available Hats to all that are craftable but not Achievement, to my knowledge are the Manniversery Paper Hats and the Ellis Caps.
3. The price has gone up lately, there's been a spike in the buying of Bills, and the selling has started to decline.
4. Buds are slowly on the rise, valued at 27-28 Keys currently.
5. > 1 Bud fucking means a Bills or 2, numb nuts.

Learn to quote.

Chief of Bears

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
*sigh*
-On the average keys go from 2.33-2.55, 2.44 being the main price of purchase, 2.55 being main price of selling.
-Most standard craft hats can be bought 1-1.33 refined, with others going to prices like 1.66-2 or 2.33-3 or higher.
-Buds are on average price ranges of 24-25, with 24 being the main average
-Bill's are still 8-10 keys with paints like Mann's Mint and After Eight being 8.5 for some reason...
-Unusual price ranges can go from your serious cancer hat worth around 10 keys (Lowest I've seen) to 15 maybe more Buds (Highest I've seen)

Lord Scrambles

Face-Melting F2Per
*sigh*
-On the average keys go from 2.33-2.55, 2.44 being the main price of purchase, 2.55 being main price of selling.
-Most standard craft hats can be bought 1-1.33 refined, with others going to prices like 1.66-2 or 2.33-3 or higher.
-Buds are on average price ranges of 24-25, with 24 being the main average
-Bill's are still 8-10 keys with paints like Mann's Mint and After Eight being 8.5 for some reason...
-Unusual price ranges can go from your serious cancer hat worth around 10 keys (Lowest I've seen) to 15 maybe more Buds (Highest I've seen)
15 buds is the highest you've seen? LoL, you've clearly never encountered a Flaming Team Captain.

HowIMetYourMother

Australian Skial God
Contributor
if you got some questions, or just are looking for tips/ not sure about a price, you can always add me, im on trading servers/sites quit alot:)

Ozone

Server-Clearing Cynic
1. I sell Keys at 2.33 to 2.66.
2. Only real available Hats to all that are craftable but not Achievement, to my knowledge are the Manniversery Paper Hats and the Ellis Caps.
3. The price has gone up lately, there's been a spike in the buying of Bills, and the selling has started to decline.
4. Buds are slowly on the rise, valued at 27-28 Keys currently.
5. > 1 Bud fucking means a Bills or 2, numb nuts.

Learn to quote.
Well, according to creeping death's time out standards, this guy deserves a time out. Everything that I corrected, I corrected for a reason. Learn your shit son.