Peter1337

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
I currently have the money to obtain a new cpu. The only problem is I am not very educated in which cpu to get strictly for gaming. I heard some people say the i5-3570k. Is this correct? On ebay I could get the i7 2600k for around the same price? Would I get an improvement?

ProbeX

Australian Skial God
Contributor
The i5 is perfect for gaming, i7 would be a bit overkill unless you want the Iris Pro graphics from Intel which are only available in Laptops at the moment.
Iris pro is designed for laptops alone, people who use towers use Nvidia or ATI chipsets. Which with anything made in the past 3 years would be fine with an i5 or i7.

Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor
Iris pro is designed for laptops alone, people who use towers use Nvidia or ATI chipsets. Which with anything made in the past 3 years would be fine with an i5 or i7.

I hear talk that Intel's "Broadwell" chips coming out will feature Iris Pro for desktop CPUs as well, which I hope is what happens, because I'm dying to get an All In One built, as I don't play games that require ultra powerful stuff.

ProbeX

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I hear talk that Intel's "Broadwell" chips coming out will feature Iris Pro for desktop CPUs as well, which I hope is what happens, because I'm dying to get an All In One built, as I don't play games that require ultra powerful stuff.
CPUs that produce the graphics are called APUs and were originally designed for the PS3 but they had a problem getting the CPU to preform high enough , so they stuck to chip sets, unless they found a way to route memory usage from a graphics chip-set into a CPU I don't think it will be here for a while and if it does go on the market it wont be that good.

idaeanat

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
How much money do u have and what gpu are you currently running? It could be your gpu that is the problem. I'd personally get an i3-3220 and a decent gpu

Peter1337

230$ for cpu. i5 3570k and i7 2600k go around the same price on ebay. I multibox in wow a lot and I heard the i3 won't do for that. I have the 6970 Bad Company 2 Vietnam edition.

Peter1337

The 6970 is a decent GPU. The i5-3570K is a generation newer than the i7-2600k. If I were you I'd get the 4670k
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-...che-/221248860909?pt=CPUs&hash=item338375b2ed

That's a haswell processor, the newest version, for the OP: Keep an eye out for Socket 1150 motherboards, as those are the ones you're going to need for Haswell.

Thanks guys!!! I am certain now I will buy the haswell one!!

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Just keep in mind that if your current desktop is outdated, you may end up buying not only CPU and MB, but also RAM, PSU, and case (based on form-factor of your MB).

The 6970 is a decent GPU. The i5-3570K is a generation newer than the i7-2600k. If I were you I'd get the 4670k
i5-4670k is a single-threaded CPU though.

In order to decide what to buy, OP will have to compare and consider:
  • i5-2600k's performance with i7-2600k's performance (the same level),
  • overclocking ability (i7 has more) - very important,
  • hyperthreading support (i5 has none),
  • prices (2600k is cheaper).

Dzike

Uncharitable Spy
I have the i5-3570K and I can really recommend it. I can play every game (BF3, Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite, Skyrim etc.) on the max settings.

idaeanat

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
Just keep in mind that if your current desktop is outdated, you may end up buying not only CPU and MB, but also RAM, PSU, and case (based on form-factor of your MB).

i5-4670k is a single-threaded CPU though.

In order to decide what to buy, OP will have to compare and consider:

• i5-2600k's performance with i7-2600k's performance (the same level),
    overclocking ability (i7 has more) - very important,
    hyperthreading support (i5 has none),
    prices (2600k is cheaper).

His desktop doesn't sound like it's outdated, he has a 6970

And for hyperthreading ability refer to OP quote :

The only problem is I am not very educated in which cpu to get strictly for gaming.

Peter1337

His desktop doesn't sound like it's outdated, he has a 6970

And for hyperthreading ability refer to OP quote :

650 corsair psu.
8gb of ram
6970 for my gpu
1tb hard drive.

The cpu is bottlenecking my whole system right now. I will buy the motherboard at the exact time I buy the cpu.

idaeanat

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
650 corsair psu.
8gb of ram
6970 for my gpu
1tb hard drive.

The cpu is bottlenecking my whole system right now. I will buy the motherboard at the exact time I buy the cpu.

Yes that's completely up to date, you'll just need a haswell mobo. The MSI z87-g45 is cheap and performs well