Stitch/Glue

Face-Melting F2Per
Contributor
I've never had a good pc, but I finally got one that I can upgrade, and it really needs too, anyway it's a Compaq CQ5600F, I'll post specs as well after this. Anyway I'm looking to upgrade everything I need to, but I'm hoping to find parts for not to much. I've never done this before and this is the only site that I remember that will help me with this.
Specs:
Processor: AMD Athlon II 170u Processor 2.00 GHz
RAM: 2.00 GB
System Type: 64-bit Operating System
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

Just ask if you need more information, like I said I'm not to familiar with this. Hope you guys can help me, would be amazing.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
What are you looking to do with the computer? As in are you looking for a gaming rig, if so what are you looking to run? Or are you looking for something for web surfing?

Also what's your budget

Stitch/Glue

Face-Melting F2Per
Contributor
What are you looking to do with the computer? As in are you looking for a gaming rig, if so what are you looking to run? Or are you looking for something for web surfing?

Also what's your budget
I'm looking to upgrade it for gaming, and my budget is about $100-$200. And I'm not looking to run anything to much, just WoW, TF2, CS:GO, Garry's Mod and a few other things.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I'm looking to upgrade it for gaming, and my budget is about $100-$200. And I'm not looking to run anything to much, just WoW, TF2, CS:GO, Garry's Mod and a few other things.
Sorry to disappoint you, but your budget is too small to upgrade the existing configuration to a gaming one. CPU, RAM, Motherboard and video card - all of them are too outdated. To upgrade all four your budget must be $500 minimum.

Stitch/Glue

Face-Melting F2Per
Contributor
Sorry to disappoint you, but your budget is too small to upgrade the existing configuration to a gaming one. CPU, RAM, Motherboard and video card - all of them are too outdated. To upgrade all four your budget must be $500 minimum.
Alright, that'll take a bit longer to save up, but I can do it. I just need to know what parts will fit and will be good.

Sir Gooch P Tigglington

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
The best starting point for the specs you have would be to get a dedicated GPU. Right now you are running video off of your motherboard. Integrated video sucks and also takes RAM from the rest of your system. A dedicated card will allow you to reclaim that RAM and run better/smoother graphics (although your processor may be a bottleneck and you still won't get maximum performance) until you can save more money for other upgrades. Keep in mind that if you buy a dedicated GPU, you will likely need to upgrade your power supply at the same time.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Alright, that'll take a bit longer to save up, but I can do it. I just need to know what parts will fit and will be good.

Whats the most hardware demanding game you want to run, how well do you want to run it and how much are you willing to spend?

Stitch/Glue

Face-Melting F2Per
Contributor
Whats the most hardware demanding game you want to run, how well do you want to run it and how much are you willing to spend?
Would probably be CS:GO and WoW (depending how much of the graphics they're changing in the next expansion). I want to run them on atleast medium settings, and for now I'd be willing to spend $500-600, would just take a bit longer to get.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Would probably be CS:GO and WoW (depending how much of the graphics they're changing in the next expansion). I want to run them on atleast medium settings, and for now I'd be willing to spend $500-600, would just take a bit longer to get.
I'd go with i5 CPU, motherboard with respective socket, 8 GB of RAM and any GTX Ti card. Should be more than enough and should let you squeeze into your budget.

Quick example:
  1. CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.2GHz (3.6GHz Turbo Boost) - $195
  2. Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z75 - $85
  3. RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - $80
  4. GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB - $160
Total: $520 (before rebates)

Stitch/Glue

Face-Melting F2Per
Contributor
I'd go with i5 CPU, motherboard with respective socket, 8 GB of RAM and any GTX Ti card. Should be more than enough and should let you squeeze into your budget.

Quick example:

1. CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.2GHz (3.6GHz Turbo Boost) - $195
    Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z75 - $85
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - $80
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB - $160
Total: $520 (before rebates)
Alright, thank you.

idaeanat

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
Firstly, you'll need a new case, as the cases that come with low-end prebuilts are terrible, with little airflow. Secondly, Psycho's build uses a last-gen cpu and motherboard, and that isn't a k-series cpu, but it is a z motherboard. Also, use pcpartpicker to find cheaper prices.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($197.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($76.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Mwave)
Total: $509.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-04 08:39 EDT-0400

mohawkg2

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Firstly, you'll need a new case, as the cases that come with low-end prebuilts are terrible, with little airflow. Secondly, Psycho's build uses a last-gen cpu and motherboard, and that isn't a k-series cpu, but it is a z motherboard. Also, use pcpartpicker to find cheaper prices.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($197.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($76.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Mwave)
Total: $509.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-04 08:39 EDT-0400
For 90$ you can get this: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z97pcmate which is Z97 so it allows him to upgrade to a nicer unlocked i5 in the future, and is able to overclock it.