Reporter

Administrator
My Thoughts on Random Critz

So I was getting footage for a cool scout video I wanted to do, playing on Skial servers, when someone in the server decided to turn on random crits and bullet spread. I got a bit pissed and argued with some of the people in the server why random crits sucked, poorly repeating what Uncle Dane said in his video about removing random crits.

During and after the argument it dawned on me that I had no idea what I was talking about, and that I was just repeating things I heard about why random crits are bad, and not forming my own opinion on the matter.

So with that in mind, I decided to do a bit of digging and saw some differing views on random crits, and I thought over some of the things the big TF2 YouTubers (mostly Uncle Dane) said on random crits.

With all this in mind, what do I think?… Well I still don’t like them. I prefer my multiplayer games to be consistent and would rather kill enemies with skill and whatever damage my weapons can do on their own, and not have some random power up come out of no where to kill who ever I was fighting. It makes kills feel cheap and undeserved. But I can understand why some people would enjoy random crits when it comes to casual. I mean the name speaks for itself, there’s no high stakes, no need to feel tense. Just relax and have fun. Plus not everyone takes TF2 seriously, I mean a game with wacky weapons and memorable characters, with funny lines of dialogue isn’t really asking to be taken seriously to begin with. Adding on to that, people like to meme when it comes to casual and random crits can lead to funny moments with rag dolls.

Also, there’s an argument which I’ve come to disagree with heavily after some thought when it comes to Uncle Danes video, and that’s “Random Crits create bad habits for new players” Now I don’t know about you, this argument is just stupid to me, even the people I argued against pointed out how stupid this was. I don’t think new players who discover random crits are going to be stupid, play mindlessly, do the same thing over and over again, or develop bad habits. It’s a game. Sure some games require certain play styles, but still, it’s an arcade fps game with some depth to its gameplay. I don’t really remember how I started getting into TF2, but I’m sure I tried out all the classes and when I died I chose a different class. Also TF2 may have depth to its mechanics, but I’d argue they’re not difficult for people to understand.

Honestly, if you’re really worried about players playing the “wrong way” then complain about the training mode being broken. It desperately needs a fix or a rework.

Author: Boat_Glittering

http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/vai7qj/my_thoughts_on_random_critz/