Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I have had this issue for a while now, and for the life of me can't find the solution or the cause.
Everytime I use mumble I get the strange robotic sounds as described here http://www.mumble.com/support/mumble-server-robotic-distorted-voice.php
I have tried every fix they recommend, but no success, after a while my mumble can get up to 2 minutes behind, so I am hearing (distorted) what was said by other users 2 minutes ago.
I understand it is a bandwidth issue, trouble is it's on many mumble servers and my connection is more than enough to run tf2 + mumble together, and was always ok till say 6 weeks ago.

I have looked in my qos settings in teh router, but it says QoS function is only used with router mode PVC, bridge mode PVC is not supported now.
Not being too hot on router settings, can anyone see where I can fix this in my router? or is this a waste of time? any other fixes, I can provide similiar screenies if you need more info...
Help me obi-1 your my only hope.
1OTzi

ps: ts3 is not an option as 99% of teh EU comp circuit use mumble, and I do like to merc from time to time.

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
There's two causes of this, one is your connection, the other is a server issue. It could possibly be an issue on the mumble server. This happened with Vent a lot where people would hear something 2 minutes after it's said even though they were saying later things as well. Having that 3mbps connection should be more than enough for voice comms.

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
There's two causes of this, one is your connection, the other is a server issue. It could possibly be an issue on the mumble server. This happened with Vent a lot where people would hear something 2 minutes after it's said even though they were saying later things as well. Having that 3mbps connection should be more than enough for voice comms.
Yeah it always was fine before, and the thing is it's not isolated to just one server.

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
It's a protocol thing, not a specific server. Sometimes the message gets stuck in the server.
Anything I can do to fix it? I mean noone else I know has this issue to this extent, which is why I was thinking it was something my end.

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Anything I can do to fix it? I mean noone else I know has this issue to this extent, which is why I was thinking it was something my end.
Well I think there's two issues. The robotic sounds can be a server thing too, but usually that's just not enough bandwidth, which could be fixed by the FAQ thing. The latency just happens sometimes.

Giildy

Australian Skial God
Contributor
maybe your isp is pooping the bed on a path between you and the rest of the internet.
bottiger suggested using this little guy to figure out if your isp is congested http://winmtr.net/

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Thanks Giildy, i just used it.

This is from the last mumble server I had issues with... doesnt make any sense to me, notice anything that is out of the ordinary?

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| host-84-13-208-1.opaltelecom.net - 0 | 94 | 94 | 26 | 28 | 35 | 27 |
| host-78-151-225-49.static.as13285.net - 0 | 94 | 94 | 34 | 44 | 134 | 35 |
| host-78-151-225-48.static.as13285.net - 0 | 94 | 94 | 33 | 38 | 115 | 35 |
| xe-10-1-0-rt002.bre.as13285.net - 0 | 94 | 94 | 39 | 43 | 53 | 39 |
| xe-11-2-0-rt001.sov.as13285.net - 2 | 91 | 90 | 0 | 40 | 48 | 43 |
| host-78-144-1-63.as13285.net - 2 | 91 | 90 | 40 | 41 | 47 | 41 |
| host-78-144-1-141.as13285.net - 0 | 94 | 94 | 40 | 45 | 82 | 42 |
| ams-ix.rtr1.az16.z1.gsa.nforce.nl - 0 | 94 | 94 | 45 | 47 | 56 | 46 |
|1-239-159-85.rtr1.b06-s02-az16.gsa.nl.nforce.com - 2 | 91 | 90 | 0 | 46 | 53 | 48 |
| 5-239-159-85.rtr1.dbn.nl.nforce.com - 2 | 91 | 90 | 45 | 48 | 57 | 46 |
| hosted-by.hiperz.com - 2 | 91 | 90 | 0 | 46 | 52 | 47 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Just an update, I managed to sort this out, or at least my problem stopped after flushing my ip cache.
I literaly tried everything else I could think off, even spoke to mumble live support, they were clueless to my problem, anyway if you have searched the web for this problem and ended up here, I hope this helps you out.