• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

Kritzkrieg

Unremarkable User
Uploading gamebanana.com/sprites/3017 to the mod verification/signing website results in:

Error
Illegal content in file: Crosshairs/materials/VGUI/crosshairs/custom_27.vmt "$basetexture" "VGUI\"

Can someone fix this?

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
The 'illegal content in file' means you can't use that file since it can be used to exploit the game

That's the whole point behind the mod verification tool, is to check for files that can be used for exploiting

Reactions: JohnnyGaloshes

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
How is a custom crosshair something that can be exploited?

I dunno much about this modding stuff so I couldn't say

All I know is you have to run the mods through that mod verify thing so it can weed out anything that could potentially be used for exploiting purposes

Kritzkrieg

Unremarkable User
I read on the post introducing mod verification that the "vgui" folder was whitelisted precisely because it's unexploitable. What changed?

DaivdBaekr

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I just ran it through the mods website and it installed correctly.

Change the "VGUI" subfolder to just "vgui" with no capital letters and try once more. If it still doesn't work for you I'll make a video installing this specific mod.

DaivdBaekr

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
You can use that method, but pre-loading mods with an sv_pure 0 server beforehand is a lot of work in the long run. Maybe you zipped the tf folder instead of materials?

Kritzkrieg

Unremarkable User
I was indeed compressing the tf folder rather than just materials. It seems to work fine after compressing the latter instead. Thanks a lot!

Edit: The source of my mistake lies in the quote:
The materials/models/sound folders must be at the root of the directory. VPKs are ok but must also be at the root directory.
I took that to mean that the root directory should contain those folders, rather than be one of those folders.

Last edited:

Jusey1

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
I'm gonna bump this thread, instead of creating a new one, and say that I am too having a mod verification issue. It is saying that everything is blacklisted, basically, despite me basically getting the same exact files verified... I recently just got a new small custom modification to change the looks of a revolver and was just trying to add it onto my list of Skial-verified but it is saying both the revolver reskin and all of my previous verified mods are blacklisted files... Something is up here and I would appreciate knowing what's going on here.