courtsnort♩♪♫♬

Banned
Contributor
Okay, so my ping usually stays decently low. Around 30-80. But yet i still have performance problems. One day, i'm able to pub just fine, then the next i'm unable to play competitively due to major lag on my end. I've turned the graphics down and all that junk, my computer was cleaned recently, and i have a very good internet connection. What do?

Oh, and can anyone recommend a great, preferably free, program to regular clean, scan, and defrag my system?

Chance

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Okay, so my ping usually stays decently low. Around 30-80. But yet i still have performance problems. One day, i'm able to pub just fine, then the next i'm unable to play competitively due to major lag on my end. I've turned the graphics down and all that junk, my computer was cleaned recently, and i have a very good internet connection. What do?

Oh, and can anyone recommend a great, preferably free, program to regular clean, scan, and defrag my system?
CCleaner is good for cleaning useless shit off your pc and can save you a bit of space, and if you don't use it already you should scan your pc with Malwarebytes.

185db

Epic Skial Regular
Sounds like you have bad frames per second. That can cause the appearance of lag. You may have the lowest graphics, but your frames could still be bad. Go to the middle of turbine and look at your fps counter (net_graph 1) and come back and tell us. But by lag do you mean rubber band kind of lag or what?

courtsnort♩♪♫♬

Banned
Contributor
Sounds like you have bad frames per second. That can cause the appearance of lag. You may have the lowest graphics, but your frames could still be bad. Go to the middle of turbine and look at your fps counter (net_graph 1) and come back and tell us. But by lag do you mean rubber band kind of lag or what?
it's like... a stop-motion film. I'll hold w to walk, and it takes a step, freezes, takes a step, freezes, etc.

But i'll go on Turbine and figure that out in a minute.

courtsnort♩♪♫♬

Banned
Contributor
Range is from 10-20 FPS
I assume that is bad.

185db

Epic Skial Regular
Range is from 10-20 FPS
I assume that is bad.
Yeah that is incredibly bad. Anything below 30 is practically unplayable. If you do not have a config already, I highly suggest you download one. Lowering your resolution is a good idea as well.

http://clugu.com/tf2mate/
Use the "chris's maxframes" setting. Once you have set all the variable and downloaded it, make sure to set the launch options and put the config into your tf/custom folder.

courtsnort♩♪♫♬

Banned
Contributor
Extremely.

What's your graphic card? Is it overheating?
Yeah that is incredibly bad. Anything below 30 is practically unplayable. If you do not have a config already, I highly suggest you download one. Lowering your resolution is a good idea as well.

Use the "chris's maxframes" setting. Once you have set all the variable and downloaded it, make sure to set the launch options and put the config into your tf/custom folder.
I'm a moron when it comes to technology, what are these foreign words you are speaking?
I don't know anything about my graphics card.
And i don't want any program or script or w/e that makes everything look like a potato, since i'm a trader. I like being able to actually see good looking loadouts.

185db

Epic Skial Regular
Chances are you do not have a graphics card because your frames are so bad. There are a couple things you can do with the config that will not change the way it looks. A config stands for configuration, it basically "configures" the way your game runs. For instance, you can turn ragdolls (dead bodys) and gibs (exploding bodys) to where they just disappear and increase fps (frames per second) dramatically. If you don't want to buy a new computer or upgrade the parts, then you are going to have to decide between playing that game or just trading.

You can see hats regardless of video settings and config. Killstreak effects, unusuals and all that still work. The biggest thing that is hurt is austrailiums, most configs completely ruin them. You can also change your direct X level from 9 to 8. This raises fps, but it gets rid of skins and . If you wish to do this, right click tf2 in the steam library, properties, set launch options. Once there, type -dxlevel 80 Like I said, you are going to have to decide if you want to do purely trading or play the game, because with your computer you have no in-between.

Chance

Australian Skial God
Contributor

Anything below 30? Sir I think you mean 60. At least for most people it is.

I'm a moron when it comes to technology, what are these foreign words you are speaking?
I don't know anything about my graphics card.
And i don't want any program or script or w/e that makes everything look like a potato, since i'm a trader. I like being able to actually see good looking loadouts.
If you don't know what graphics card you are using just *this is for Windows* press the start button and search Device manager. Once you are in the Device manager pull down the Display Adapter box and it should show you.

6vTHplR.png

Kyle

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Anything below 30? Sir I think you mean 60. At least for most people it is.

If you don't know what graphics card you are using just *this is for Windows* press the start button and search Device manager. Once you are in the Device manager pull down the Display Adapter box and it should show you.

6vTHplR.png
I can play 55-60fps just fine if I tone settings down on my laptop.

Reactions: Chance

Chance

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I can play 55-60fps just fine if I tone settings down on my laptop.
Most laptops can run TF2 just fine at lower settings which is why I recommended she use CCleaner and Malwarebytes to clean the pc and remove any Malware. You know, just in case she does have Malware.