Thorin Oakenshield

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
As the title says, I'm looking for some decent recording software so I can record other games besides TF2.

Free is preferred, but I'm pretty sure there aren't any really great ones out there that I haven't tried and disliked.
I was recommended http://www.d3dgear.com/products.htm but I wanted to know if anyone has a better option(s) and/or experience with this program.

Edit: Got D3DGear, works pretty swell.

Phaiz

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
Fraps is good but it lowers your fps by a lot.. at least it did for me.

idaeanat

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
Fraps is good but it lowers your fps by a lot.. at least it did for me.

Well you'd expect it to do that, since it's using a lot of resources.
I've tried Fraps, it's poor quality.
How is it poor quality? Most videos on YouTube are dxtory and Fraps, both of which look amazing.

Edit : How fast is your computer? Maybe Fraps looked low quality because your pc was having a hard time running it. Try dxtory

staticvoid

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
If your vid card is shit, FRAPS isn't going to run well, as that is the only thing it really uses.

And good luck finding another recording software that isn't FRAPS or DXTORY. If you can't run either of those, i doubt you'll be able to run anything else with "better" quality,

Thorin Oakenshield

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
Why did you think it was poor quality?

May be easier to recommend a product if we know why Fraps disappointed you.
5345 terabytes per second files lol
Huge files, takes forever to compress them. Also the audio quality tends to be very lacking.

Well you'd expect it to do that, since it's using a lot of resources.

How is it poor quality? Most videos on YouTube are dxtory and Fraps, both of which look amazing.

Edit : How fast is your computer? Maybe Fraps looked low quality because your pc was having a hard time running it. Try dxtory
Poor quality as in poorly designed. The videos it records are decent enough. I should have specified that.

As far as being able to run it, I can run Skyrim on high graphics without a tick of lag, so I'm pretty sure I can run most things if I drop the quality a bit.
(I can have also TF2 connected to the idle server and play another game in the background, like Dishonored)
I also asked a friend who records stuff like that, and he recommended that program I linked in the OP.
Looks good, but why should I spend the extra dollars on that as opposed to D3DGear?

You lost me at "Getting FFmpeg"

staticvoid

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Huge files, takes forever to compress them. Also the audio quality tends to be very lacking.

I've used FRAPS for over three years and never had any proplems.

You don't have it set to record 60fps, right? YouTube automatically sets it to 30fps. Yes, the videos are very large, but if you convert it to mp4 with a editing software you can cut it down to around 100 mbs

As for audio, IDK, I've never had lacking audio quality. Maybe an outdated audio driver? I can send a video on how to increase mic quality if that is the problem.