Chiefmiest

Server-Clearing Cynic
So im looking for a decent laptop or desktop that usually can handle steam games espicially the laggy ones such as tf2. My Price Range is $500-$800. I was also wondering how do you know it's good? To me computer specs are company names and then random numbers

Ceubie

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Dont get a laptop. Find the best desktop computer you can that fits your budget that also meets your gaming needs.

loganlj2

Epic Skial Regular
I bought a toshiba laptop from walmart, the hard drive broke and i bought a seagate momentus hybrid drive on newegg for 8 bucks..

In total i spent like 550 and it's pretty decent, tf2 with no lag.

Luckyboxes

Wicked Nasty Engineer
I prefer desktops for gaming. But if you must have a laptop then Asus and Sager are top of the line. Stay away from Acer, Dell, and HP - horrible reliability. Toshiba and Lenovo are both good mid range options in my opinion and are built like tanks.

I've been looking at the Lenovo Z580 and Y570 lately myself.

DeathSod

Legendary Skial King
So im looking for a decent laptop or desktop that usually can handle steam games espicially the laggy ones such as tf2. My Price Range is $500-$800. I was also wondering how do you know it's good? To me computer specs are company names and then random numbers
BUILD YOUR OWN GODDAMMIT!

Smokey

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Guide.png

i'd reccomend the "great" build as it leaves some dosh for a monitor

hXcjedders

Australian Skial God
If you're looking to get either a laptop or desktop...get a desktop. More power, less money. Some suggest building your own, but if you don't know what you're doing, a self-built computer will cost you considerably more than a prefab. I'd recommend a higher end Dell desktop, honestly. Maybe a Gateway. Only reason I recommend Dell is because their customer service isn't too bad.

I don't know much about Desktops anymore, other than they provide much more power than a laptop. Most people just custom build nowadays but like I said if you don't know what you're doing, get someone who does or don't custom build. Just don't get Alienware or a Mac. You'll be paying far too much even for the ones you can (maybe) afford.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I'd also recommend to attend your local store and consult with the representative if you don't feel comfortable when it comes to what hardware to use in building your own PC. It will save you time. Just don't buy OEM desktops - have store's rep help you to build your own.

SPYderman

Australian Skial God
Contributor
2 very important things to make sure you learn before you start
Desktop > Laptop
PC > Mac
After you've learned this all you need to do is find the right parts

Chiefmiest

Server-Clearing Cynic
If you're looking to get either a laptop or desktop...get a desktop. More power, less money. Some suggest building your own, but if you don't know what you're doing, a self-built computer will cost you considerably more than a prefab. I'd recommend a higher end Dell desktop, honestly. Maybe a Gateway. Only reason I recommend Dell is because their customer service isn't too bad.

I don't know much about Desktops anymore, other than they provide much more power than a laptop. Most people just custom build nowadays but like I said if you don't know what you're doing, get someone who does or don't custom build. Just don't get Alienware or a Mac. You'll be paying far too much even for the ones you can (maybe) afford.
Gateway is the worst mother fucking company in the world.