★Major Pootis Steeljaw☆

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
https://imgur.com/a/UCkH0HB

I agree with quite literally. everything else in the rules, however. I feel as though this particular one is quite worrying.

I understand that playing music can be quite annoying, or harmful to the acts of others, but, I feel as though a middle-ground being reached would be awesome.

Will it be possible to, instead. Edit the rule so that " Playing music is allowed, so long as everyone within the server is okay with it. If somebody has a problem with it. Then they aren't allowed to play music, and are subject to gags, etc. "

And, enforcing the idea that the /ignore command and /votemenu + Gag commands exist would also help to improve the positivity of Skial. So that if they do not desire to listen to that person's music, then they can simply mute them.

mub

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
I just don't understand what brain makeup you have to have to feel the need to spam your music over a voice chat. It's the equivalent of someone bringing a boombox onto a bus. Sure, people can ignore you, but you're still an asshole for doing it.

If you want to share your music taste, talk about songs/artists in voice or text chat. I don't think anyone is going to be a new fan of your favorite artist if the first time they hear them is over a shitty sound system blaring over TF2 voice chat.

On VSH we used to have this small tradition amongst regulars where certain Hales got their own theme song, provided by one of the designated music players in the group. It didn’t happen too often, lasted about a few minutes at a time, and when it did, it was usually a lot of other regulars playing along; we made sure to inform other players of ways to mute it should they not want to hear it.

I understand why this new rule was added, and this is quite a fringe example, but I’m sad we won’t get to do it anymore.

Zeo

TF2 Admin
Contributor
If I wanted to listen to music while playing TF2 I would play it on my own computer. What makes you think I want to listen to what you're playing? You're not a music streaming service. Just play the game.

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
You're not a music streaming service
Wouldn't actually suprise me if music publishers/streaming services started cracking down on people playing music through game chats.. after all, it is illegal to publicly broadcast licenced music without permission.

★Major Pootis Steeljaw☆

Wouldn't actually suprise me if music publishers/streaming services started cracking down on people playing music through game chats.. after all, it is illegal to publicly broadcast licenced music without permission.
Probably a better way to deal with it instead of making 0 money off of mutes.

Stove™

Look at it this way: if I want to listen to some DJ blast their set, I'll go to a rave.

Hell, if I want to listen to music in general, I'll pull it up on some music streaming service or YouTube. I'll be perfectly fine listening to music on my end and not through TF2's voice chat feature.

People play TF2 for the gameplay (and also unboxing very expensive hats), not to hear somebody streaming their music playlist and random fart sounds through their microphone. It can be nice to have or funny for a little while, but eventually people get really tired and annoyed with it. Your issue arises in that you do it constantly, so people have practically achieved muscle memory in either ignoring you, client-side muting you, or calling a votemute on you as soon as some sort of micspam starts.

Suddenly, the rules change so you can't micspam at all anymore and you feel like you've been shunned from the servers? Don't have anywhere to go? This is a pretty big overreaction to not being able to use a soundboard of all things. Pretty much all other servers have these types of rules set in place, so it's not really anything new. The reason so many people are against you is due in part to your micspam (the other part probably being the rather...not so good suggestions you've made), so is it really that difficult to just stop?

I said it before and I'll say it again: don't build your entire personality around a soundboard. Some random technology. You're a living, breathing person. Use your voice, or if you're not comfortable with that, use text chat. It's not like you're trying to give up smoking or something. You've literally just got to stop micspamming, and it's not that difficult.

tl;dr: just stop micspamming. be yourself. it's not that hard.

Seminal Inhalation

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I'm not sure if it's possible, but I think having a command that allows you to ignore someone forever, without having to do it everytime the map changes, would be a huge help.

You mean the default mute function for TF2?

DDA108BF1DE7119AFB106CC36AF86DBD2C1BE909

Nicholas771212

TF2 Admin
Because if it's possible, we should instead, make a list for who is, and who isn't allowed to play music.
There isn't really any way to moderate whether certain people can or can't mic spam, even with this solution there would be no way of implementing this and all it sounds like is a kick/mute list (which is a terrible idea, it's literally what tacobot does for mvm games lmao). Music has always been against the rules on trade, yet I have seen countless people use it thinking its more than okay. I understand why this would be possibly bad for you as you like the play music on the server (such do many others) but 90% of the time something is played on mic, I not only see people using !ignore (which is just a bother and many people do it) but also either A play it quite loud without knowing, or B play it so often it becomes annoying.

★Major Pootis Steeljaw☆

Look at it this way: if I want to listen to some DJ blast their set, I'll go to a rave.

Hell, if I want to listen to music in general, I'll pull it up on some music streaming service or YouTube. I'll be perfectly fine listening to music on my end and not through TF2's voice chat feature.

People play TF2 for the gameplay (and also unboxing very expensive hats), not to hear somebody streaming their music playlist and random fart sounds through their microphone. It can be nice to have or funny for a little while, but eventually people get really tired and annoyed with it. Your issue arises in that you do it constantly, so people have practically achieved muscle memory in either ignoring you, client-side muting you, or calling a votemute on you as soon as some sort of micspam starts.

Suddenly, the rules change so you can't micspam at all anymore and you feel like you've been shunned from the servers? Don't have anywhere to go? This is a pretty big overreaction to not being able to use a soundboard of all things. Pretty much all other servers have these types of rules set in place, so it's not really anything new. The reason so many people are against you is due in part to your micspam (the other part probably being the rather...not so good suggestions you've made), so is it really that difficult to just stop?

I said it before and I'll say it again: don't build your entire personality around a soundboard. Some random technology. You're a living, breathing person. Use your voice, or if you're not comfortable with that, use text chat. It's not like you're trying to give up smoking or something. You've literally just got to stop micspamming, and it's not that difficult.

tl;dr: just stop micspamming. be yourself. it's not that hard.
See? This paragraph right here is exactly what I was looking for as an answer to my topic, thanks Stove.

But, still. I'm not saying that " I'm shunned from the servers from not being able to micspam. " Far from it, really. But what i'm getting at, is Skial's really the only kind of community that allows for such freedom to do, well.. Whatever, really. Most other communities are dead. Like Ozfur for example, Or some other dead tf2 servers, one of my favorites being PBfortress, but, that's long-gone now. So Skial's really all i've got going for me on TF2, and with the bots ruling over casual, it's the only thing people can play, now-a-days. I love it here in Skial, and I never had any malicious intent in any of my actions on here, whether it's me " stealing " Herp's voice, or " stealing " Flan's song, which. Mind you, is publicly on youtube, and they didn't make it. Herp just shouldn't be putting themselves in situations involving the N-word at all, and I didn't mean any harm in it, and that's been since a while ago, I hadn't used, nor even kept his voice in my soundboard for a while, now.

Polaris

Wicked Nasty Engineer
I still think that people should learn how to use "!ignore", just put that in the chat, or you can use the mute function. Just an opinion tho'.

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I still think that people should learn how to use "!ignore", just put that in the chat, or you can use the mute function. Just an opinion tho'.
Yeah but they dont, years of experience with dealing with the public has proven to me that they never learn, individuals do, but the public does not.
Music over chat pisses off more people than it pleases. Might as well say "if someones racist, just !ignore them and you don't have to hear it".

Stove™

Yeah but they dont, years of experience with dealing with the public has proven to me that they never learn, individuals do, but the public does not.
Music over chat pisses off more people than it pleases. Might as well say "if someones racist, just !ignore them and you don't have to hear it".
Agreed. And you'd think the people who get muted and gagged multiple times for it would figure out that nobody wants to hear it, but they'll just go right back to doing it. Hit them with a longer punishment, that'll get the point across.

or they'll keep trying, idk. it certainly wouldn't surprise me

Trillium

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Agreed. And you'd think the people who get muted and gagged multiple times for it would figure out that nobody wants to hear it, but they'll just go right back to doing it. Hit them with a longer punishment, that'll get the point across.

or they'll keep trying, idk. it certainly wouldn't surprise me
Me reading this with 4 or 5 gags to my name for racism
Also I want that iMac Carly has
2o138l.jpg

Polaris

Wicked Nasty Engineer
It's still easier to say "!ignore" than to say "!votemenu" and go to vote the person, still faster than saying "!report" and choosing the man. The people should learn to live with it.

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
It's still easier to say "!ignore" than to say "!votemenu" and go to vote the person, still faster than saying "!report" and choosing the man. The people should learn to live with it.
Why would we cater to the minority of players who enjoy the micspam and ignore the majority who oppose it? Wouldn’t it make more sense to make 80% of the server happy instead of catering to the 20%?

Reactions: Zeke Aileron

Polaris

Wicked Nasty Engineer
Why would we cater to the minority of players who enjoy the micspam and ignore the majority who oppose it? Wouldn’t it make more sense to make 80% of the server happy instead of catering to the 20%?
Still takes less time to straight up say "!ignore", change my mind.