• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

Saraya

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
I understand that ur able to record within the game but I don't have a clue how to do that.
I just use bandicam :p. used to use fraps but then i realized that fraps was bs.

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Open console with the tilde key (assuming you have a tilde key and console is enabled) > type record "nameofdemo" > hit enter

When you're done type stop in the console and it will stop recording, alternatively you can just leave the server.

edit: ninjadd :(

Gigz

Face-Melting F2Per
Contributor
record a Demo.
you wont lose any frames and you can do whatever you want with the footage.

Saraya

so thats how ye record within the game... gonna test which is faster, bandicam or ingame.

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
whats so bad about fraps? i use it.
What's good about fraps is that it renders at you go along. The con to that is that it lowers your FPS significantly, especially if you're writing the file out on the same drive as the game is on. I used to use fraps to record my WoW guild's boss kills. My FPS would drop from 60 to 30. Using the in game demo recording means that it won't slow down when you're playing and you can just play it back later and render it out. Replays actually work pretty well on Windows TF2 servers, but it's still a bit buggy on the Linux side.

DJ Über Space Whale!

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
i have noticed the frame change but it really has never bothered me, thanks for the info though, may change my recoding software soon.

Saraya

Both are faster but depends on circumstance. if ye want to upload to say youtube, bandicam is the one u want. ye just wanna share .dem for reports on violation of a skial server then i believe ingame recording is faster. still gonna stick with bandicam though. i only need press one key (F3) and it instantly records to an avi of my preferred compression (yv12, xvid, etc).

and since youtube framerate limit is 30fps, i set the settings to record @ 30fps though it costs me to play in 30fps (whenever i feel like uploading to youtube of my ventures in skial's fortwars server, this becomes handy)