• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

GhostDragon505

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
I've had recent troubles while playing Tf2 because for the past 2 days, my ping would be in the 150-200 range and hasn't lowered back to it's usual 30-70 range. Anyone have any suggestions?

DaivdBaekr

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Are you using a wifi adapter?

My old one was a POS and overheated frequently, causing the ping to soar higher and higher until about 1000 where I DC'd.

joemaster725

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
Contributor
I'm using built in wifi on my laptop

If you can, always go wired! there can only be a few things wrong with wired connections. Wireless is just a nightmare to troubleshoot, and many different things could degrade performance, connection speed, and give you noise. my advice, if you have the option to go over ethernet, do so. If not, restart your wireless router, and make sure you have universal plug and play enabled.

GhostDragon505

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
If you can, always go wired! there can only be a few things wrong with wired connections. Wireless is just a nightmare to troubleshoot, and many different things could degrade performance, connection speed, and give you noise. my advice, if you have the option to go over ethernet, do so. If not, restart your wireless router, and make sure you have universal plug and play enabled.
Under the circumstances I'm in, getting wired connection would be impossible to set up

Ozone

Server-Clearing Cynic
Might be a program of some sort running in the background or, as it has happened to me several times, steam might be downloading something.

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
If your on wireless, a good few things can affect your connection.
Mobile phone nearby using wireless.
microwaves.
Cordless phones
and the obvious one, distance.
also, could be a neighbour running a wireless network on teh same channel/frequency as your causing conflict.
you can try using an ethernet cable just to test, this way you will have a good idea, whether it is indeed your wireless connection.