CDAWG

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
So I am going to college soon, and I am going to get a laptop. I do want a gaming one, but I do also need it for school. I know most gaming laptops can work with internet so I can get google docs and such. I hopefully will have a tablet for books, so that's not a huge priority.

My budget is $1000, but it can go slightly up if it is a terrific buy. I would like it to last about 4-5 years minimum. I know it's lofty, but I really hope it can work. I found a few that took my fancy, but I wanted to ask you guys as to help me. And yes, I made something similar before. I can actually afford one now(Thank you Chick-fil-a) but alienware ones seem outside my range unfortunately. So Help plz?

Under and looks solid: http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/asus-rog-gl552#

Over but I liked it a lot: http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/lenovo-y700-15-inch

Renegade

Australian Skial God
Contributor
ASUS is the best choice for laptops in my opinion. If it's just for school, you can get a good one with 4 GB of ram for around $350 or so. If it's for gaming too, then it would be around $750 or so, depending on what laptop you get. Mine is ASUS and it has 8 GB of RAM and Intel Core i5. It was about $750 and runs really well.

RMSniper

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I think it's also worth mentioning what sort of gaming you are interested in. Pinball vs TF2 vs BF4.. haha, you know, it's all variable for your requirements. So what do you play/need?

CDAWG

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Well, obviously still wanna do TF2. Mostly I need functionality. I have played games at low settings religiously for the past two years because I am on a Mac.

I play a variety, but maybe a good start would be Overwatch.

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I don't personally know the exact actual requirements for Overwatch, though the current machine I'm using now I purchased for £350 ($506 ish) runs my entire Steam library perfectly fine: 500gb HDD, 6gb RAM, 2.2GHz Intel i5... ASUS is very much the correct option to go with, mine is ASUS TP300LA

Party Chocobo

Australian Skial God
Contributor
That's is close to the one I have and have been VERY pleased with what mine can run. You will be able to play OW easily with it. Not sure if this one has the same issue but the battery life is very poor and basically requires it to be plugged in at all times but other than that it is great.

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Processor shouldn't matter too much. i5 or an equivalent AMD should suffice. Ram is cheap so you should have at least 8GB. When it comes to gaming, it is all about the GPU. Most laptop's have integrated graphics which is bad by itself. You want an independent card. Some laptops have hybrids that run on the board graphics for low demand apps, like word processing etc, then switch to the GPU for gaming and video.

The one that you linked looks nice. The only draw back is that it is not an SSD.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
When it comes to gaming, it is all about the GPU.

I don't know nearly as much as some of you guys here do so forgive my audacity but I think this statement gives the wrong idea to some people

Games might be generally more video card heavy right now but I think what they personally want to run is more important. For example a friend I know is running a GTX 980 and his FPS is shit in some games because his processor isn't up to par with some of the games he wants to run due to how processor heavy they are.

I'm running a GTX 950 which isn't anything impressive but its being bottlenecked by my i3. I can run some games on ultra GPU controlled settings but have to keep my processor controlled settings bogged down.

I'm not saying you're wrong I just don't want some people getting the wrong idea thinking processors don't matter all that much.

#ProcessorLivesMatter

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I don't know nearly as much as some of you guys here do so forgive my audacity but I think this statement gives the wrong idea to some people

Games might be generally more video card heavy right now but I think what they personally want to run is more important. For example a friend I know is running a GTX 980 and his FPS is shit in some games because his processor isn't up to par with some of the games he wants to run due to how processor heavy they are.

I'm running a GTX 950 which isn't anything impressive but its being bottlenecked by my i3. I can run some games on ultra GPU controlled settings but have to keep my processor controlled settings bogged down.

I'm not saying you're wrong I just don't want some people getting the wrong idea thinking processors don't matter all that much.

#ProcessorLivesMatter

Processor shouldn't matter too much. i5 or an equivalent AMD should suffice.