agent00kevin

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
A GTX 460 should run you a little over 100$. Should also run even the newest games on high but not maximum settings. A good card for the $$. Problem is finding one now. Theres also a GTX 560 on Newegg for 180$ which isnt bad. ATI cards are typically a little cheaper for comparable performance. If you're on a REALLY tight budget, a GeForce 9800 1GB will run you about 80$ and can run even new games well still. Just beware - the day approaches when those cards start struggling to run new releases on high. Both my kids have 9800s and they run everything we play smooth and lookin good. Our newest titles are Borderlands 2 and Skyrim. Just dont expect it to last you 4 years or anything performance wise.

As stated above, GPUs arent all there is to gaming. You need a good CPU and RAM too. Stuffing a high end GPU in a low end rig wont do you much good.

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Ya but DayZ runs terrible on my old dell so...

And would 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT be good?
Time to upgrade. I went from a cruddy 2005 Vista computer (could baroly play Tf2 at lowest) To my magical PC made of the Death Star.

Derpingson

Totally Ordinary Human
Yay or ney guys?

The first result from searching that laptop (off samsung.com) didn't really show any of the major components needed for gaming. (http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/laptops/NP-R540-JA04US) so do this instead.

1. Windows Key + R (Run)
2. Type in dxdiag, press enter.
3. Once the Diagonstic Tool opens up, press the letter "S" on your keyboard, or click "Save All Info.."
4. Save the info onto Desktop or somewhere that's easy to reach.
5. Upload the file
6. Paste link in forums

The reason why you need to do this is because the graphics card you use may not help at all if your other computer components are complete shit. That and the site doesn't let me see stuff like your motherboard, processor, etc. Stuff that are all (I believe, may not be true though) more crucial to gaming than a graphics card.

EDIT: Also, do you know how to take apart your laptop and replace the video card, and put the laptop back together in good condition? If not, don't even consider getting a video card, unless your willing to pay extra for someone to do it for you.

ViperStriker

Banned
Contributor
It really depends on your price range. If you're gonna drop like $200-$300 on a GPU then go for like a GTX 550 TI but if you're tossing the big bucks around go for a GTX 600-series card. If you have decent amount of room in your case and a ton of money to drop, pick up two GTX 660 TIs and put em in SLI. The performance stats out performed the GTX 670 and matched the GTX 680 while about $100 under the cost. If you have a really old PC though, you probably couldn't fit that so if you have the money just build a PC yourself.

Da_Jinks

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
EDIT: Also, do you know how to take apart your laptop and replace the video card, and put the laptop back together in good condition? If not, don't even consider getting a video card, unless your willing to pay extra for someone to do it for you.

Doing everything I snipped now, but yea I'd prob be able to get it put together.

Gigz

Face-Melting F2Per
Contributor
57d.jpg

Da_Jinks

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor

The first result from searching that laptop (off samsung.com) didn't really show any of the major components needed for gaming. (http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/laptops/NP-R540-JA04US) so do this instead.

1. Windows Key + R (Run)
2. Type in dxdiag, press enter.
3. Once the Diagonstic Tool opens up, press the letter "S" on your keyboard, or click "Save All Info.."
4. Save the info onto Desktop or somewhere that's easy to reach.
5. Upload the file
6. Paste link in forums

The reason why you need to do this is because the graphics card you use may not help at all if your other computer components are complete shit. That and the site doesn't let me see stuff like your motherboard, processor, etc. Stuff that are all (I believe, may not be true though) more crucial to gaming than a graphics card.

Can I have someone tell me anything?