Sheev_Palpatine

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Info: Using Firefox 35 and running Windows 8.1 64bit

Basically whenever I try to open up a .swf file in Firefox instead of playing it it pop opens a window for me to save the file or open it in Internet Explorer. Which is weird because I've never had trouble with swf files in the past when using past Firefox builds and the Icedragon knockoff. I've tried searching online for a fix but haven't really found something. Help please?

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
1jEtaZK.jpg

It seems to have helped most of the users with familiar issue...

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Also, does it happen on ALL sites with .swf files or just on a particular one? It could be an issue with a source site not defining MIME types properly...

Sheev_Palpatine

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Are you sure you have Shockwave Flash add-on enabled in Firefox?
I do have it enabled.
Also, does it happen on ALL sites with .swf files or just on a particular one? It could be an issue with a source site not defining MIME types properly...
It's only happening to swf files I have downloaded. I can get them to open in IE but since a few of them are actually games I'd rather play them via Firefox.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
It's only happening to swf files I have downloaded. I can get them to open in IE but since a few of them are actually games I'd rather play them via Firefox.
I don't really understand what you're trying to achieve - are you trying to save .swf files and then play them, or are you trying to play them in Firefox?
If you're trying to play them straight via Firefox while accessing specific website and you're getting a prompt to save the file - have you tried playing .swf files on OTHER sites?

Sheev_Palpatine

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I don't really understand what you're trying to achieve - are you trying to save .swf files and then play them, or are you trying to play them in Firefox?
If you're trying to play them straight via Firefox while accessing specific website and you're getting a prompt to save the file - have you tried playing .swf files on OTHER sites?
I've downloaded swf files from a couple of websites to play them in Firefox. But I did find a fix by disabling click to play in the about:config. Weird. Anyways thanks!