Fish

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
In dr_office, it's possible for engineers to teleport into the hale area and be able to activate all the traps with ranged weapons, making the map near impossible for the runners to win.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=183622075
ico_external_link.gif
Shows how the engineers can get in.

Drum

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Mapper
Sigh, I said giving engineers a teleport ability would cause problems. Not much I can do to fix the map.

I fixed the map a long time ago. Engineers have the tele ability though now and it's perfect for map exploitation.

Wait, what? What's the idea behind giving Engineer access to the tele ability (limited range I assume) on Deathrun? I played that mode loads a few months ago and I can think of a lot of smaller traps that is unfairly avoided with the ability to teleport yourself (+ a truckloads of exploits if the map maker isn't active on squeezing them.).

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Wait, what? What's the idea behind giving Engineer access to the tele ability (limited range I assume) on Deathrun? I played that mode loads a few months ago and I can think of a lot of smaller traps that is unfairly avoided with the ability to teleport yourself (+ a truckloads of exploits if the map maker isn't active on squeezing them.).

As far as I know the teleport ability is intended to allow engineers to get past a couple of traps without risking death (I think it only has two uses)

But it sounds like its a problem for exploiting

Drum

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Mapper

As far as I know the teleport ability is intended to allow engineers to get past a couple of traps without risking death (I think it only has two uses)

But it sounds like its a problem for exploiting

It only has 2 uses, and was implemented when every class was given a special ability.

Renegade

Australian Skial God
Contributor
The engineers can't teleport through. I've seen people try and it never works.

KinCryos

TF2 Admin
Contributor
Mapper
I was going to put a step-by-step for Drum on implementing a fix, only for it to turn out that most of it is already done. all that needs to be done is to edit all of Hale's trap buttons to set their Damage Filter fields to Activator_blu
in short, the damage filters are already there, they just aren't being used

Drum

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Mapper
I was going to put a step-by-step for Drum on implementing a fix, only for it to turn out that most of it is already done. all that needs to be done is to edit all of Hale's trap buttons to set their Damage Filter fields to Activator_blu
in short, the damage filters are already there, they just aren't being used

Yeah it's been on my todo list for quite a long time. Once I get home I'll see if I still have the source files and I'll make a new update.

Drum

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Mapper
Can Hale kill them? I thought even Deathrun hale can still do damage and kill people if they get in range

Yes, but if several people get through they can easily set off all the traps due to the speed belt + having weapons.

Fish

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
Can Hale kill them? I thought even Deathrun hale can still do damage and kill people if they get in range
He can, but being able to get in requires hale to stand near the door to open it. Hale tends to be friendly to the engineers who enter that area.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Could make this against the rules, after all it does look like map exploiting to me.

Just IMO

He can, but being able to get in requires hale to stand near the door to open it. Hale tends to be friendly to the engineers who enter that area.

Are you talking about the first trap? Isn't it pretty easy to fix that engineer-exploit just by having some environment damage (I have never used Hammer, but there has to be some easy way to make users take damage in a selected area) down there so those that get trapped in the trap are killed?

Drum

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Mapper
Are you talking about the first trap? Isn't it pretty easy to fix that engineer-exploit just by having some environment damage (I have never used Hammer, but there has to be some easy way to make users take damage in a selected area) down there so those that get trapped in the trap are killed?

Yeah, pits will usually have instakill triggers and such, they're trivial to make in hammer.
However, the 1st trap in Office is unique because it's supposed to be a "humiliation" trap- whoever falls in has to wait to be slaughtered by Hale once he finishes off the other players.