illimunati

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Contributor
We had this suggestion before and I thought it was resolved. The respawn times were changed to instant but after reasonable discussion and hearing out from the regulars that play on the server, it was changed back to what it was.
But for some reason the spawn are changed to instant again. The server is broken again, the spawn times made the server less competitive and lazy. It's just not fun.
Unfortunately, I did not renew my donations this time because of the spawn times, will probably not renew it until the server is back to normal. I know there are alot of people who play on this server feels the same.
Please revert back the spawn times to normal, 20 secs for red and 8 secs for blue, let's keep it this way.
This server were always full with regulars but not anymore. The server barely maintains 32 people at prime time.
It will be sad to see this server downhill and all the regulars stop playing. Even if the spawn times changed back to normal in the future, the community will be broken......
Let the people enjoy the server, socialize and destress. Don't let this server community die.
illuminati

adn

Contributor
+1, the instant spawn times takes away the importance of playing competitively since the attacking team runs in mindlessly over and over again. The old spawn timers were much better and created a more competitive environment.

Space Pope

Mildly Menacing Medic
+1 as well. Part of the fun of this server was that it was always a challenge and having to play with more strategy due to the respawn times. Now, that's just been taken away.

Reactions: illimunati

decimalist

Mildly Menacing Medic
That's right, especially where it turns the server less competitive and lazier. Changing spawn time has been turning away more players as we haven't been able to regularly keep a maximum player count for over 8 hours since this change has happened.

potato2222

Banned
Contributor
+1
Not sure why the respawn times were even reverted to default in response to the community's preference, and then quietly made shorter again as if nothing ever happened. 10/10 great move.

At this rate, I'm going to forget what stage 3 dustbowl looks like.

Last edited:

xmbx

Contributor
Agreed there was a nice following on this server, the spawn times that were closer to vanilla allowed for better matches and distinguished it from the other (few) Dustbowl options available. Also worth mentioning this server is the reason I donate as well - thanks!

Mochichichiii

Mildly Menacing Medic
I think adn describes the main crux of the issue, that being blu can just endlessly slam their face into red with virtually no consequences while red suffers going through an actual respawn time. This causes a snowball effect due to the sheer quantity of blu vs red at any given moment during a stage. illimunati mentions the lack of competitive nature as well and this holds true to the point of what I'm describing. To make a point figure if you have 16 v 16 and you assume red has a slight defenders advantage, and that every red player can average 1.5 K/D which is probably a high ball number for the average player, well if that person dies they're typically dead for 2 and sometimes 3 respawns of any individual blu player which means that if blu is averaging >.6K/d that they are receiving a statistical advantage which I understand that blu needs some form of advantage over red in order to with some consistency reach stage 3; it doesn't help the situation of keeping the server full when it causes frustration for your red players to just constantly get snowballed into oblivion while I don't inherently agree that it should be default, I do believe that a balance needs to be struck and granting what is essentially an instant respawn to blu kills any form of game balance due to blu having virtually no downtime combine that with the fact that skial servers have no class restrictions this can sometimes lead to red just getting brute forced back into spawn and being unable to retake defensive positions on the map. I.e. if a blu player gets 2 kills in one life and then dies he has essentially created a situation where the other team is down two players instead of just one 1 kill + 1 trade due to the blu players death which should be the normal circumstances. Blu needs to be kept in check with a respawn timer so there's a form of downtime to allow red to take space out on the map. So while I understand the desire to make the game more fast paced you need to keep a ratio of blu:red respawns in order to make the game fair to both sides. No one likes to get steam rolled, red or blu; I believe at minimum the blu respawn should be no less than 5-6 seconds while red should never be less than 12-14 seconds on any given stage. I say all this as someone who really doesn't care what the respawn times are as long as the game is fun to play from both sides. Your average player likely isn't going to average a 2:1 K/D ratio so the respawns timers need to reflect that.

Reactions: adn

Vexille

Contributor
+1 Like most of the people here have been saying, the server is basically face-roll until you win. You don't have to worry about playing strategically or mindfully anymore as you're going to respawn in moments anyway. As Mochi said, by making Blue respawns an extreme factor of Red respawns, you have Blue respawning three times as fast. Even with original respawns this wasn't the case MOST of the time (As red spawns could sometimes vary) or even to this extent.
In the end, Red team is the one who hurts the most as they have to play twice as hard against players who don't. One good push on Blue will cripple Red team more-so now than before as its incredibly difficult to bounce back from that.

When you lessen the punishment for dying, people are less inclined to prevent mistakes. This is going to reduce how much "effort" people are going to put in actually coordinating. Like the others have been saying, "why bother attempting to be competitive when on average you can net more kills diving in like a madman?"

If you're really adamant on changing respawn times, Blue should be at a solid 6 seconds, and Red should be either 15-17.
Blue respawn I feel would be perfect at 6 for this ratio; Red should still retain a long respawn as the defending team should be punished for playing too aggressively. Most people disliked the 20 second respawn, which is fair, so 3-5 seconds off from the maximum would give a punishing but fair number.

Beardo

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
Most people disliked the 20 second respawn

Cant say I agree with this. 1/24 might of disliked it, but far more hate the spawn times being instant or fast. You can't please everybody, so keeping the server balanced and competitive as it was at 20 for Red and 8 for Blu is just being smart. It works on the Payload server, and on Dustbowl for years. Why mess it up now.

Also the Round timers should be reverted back to how they were under these spawn times (20 Red, 8 Blu).

You just need to gain a bigger player base in other time zones if you wish for the server to be active during those times. Changing spawn times is not the anwser.

The majority of the players who play on Dustbowl daily donate and hate the change. They donate for this server alone. I think they should have say on keeping the server the way they enjoyed it, with that being why they even decided to help support and pay for it.

PanHalen

Contributor
+1 agree
I enjoy the extra chaos that instant respawn times create but round 3 would be a rarity and after a while it feels like a grind and i would want to seek a doctors note for more adderall. Also less time after death to run to the toilet and blast a dook ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Major Vezon Dash

Contributor
There's no doubt about it, the server just isn't fun to play anymore.

You have to grind out stage 1 on BLU for 15 minutes, then get spawn camped on stage 2. If you somehow make it to stage 3, it is because BLU just straight up rolled RED on stage 1 and stage 2, and guess what? They generally just roll stage 3 as well.

I quit playing the objective on BLU because your picks literally mean nothing. With the old spawn times, if you're sniping on BLU and you pick the RED sniper, it means you are free to play more risky for about 30 seconds until the RED sniper respawns. Now, it is like, you have 15-20 seconds to do the same. The BLU team needs a larger window to push while red is wiped, and right now with the spawn times as they are, that window is too short.

Decreasing the BLU spawn time isn't the answer either. You end up with RED being frustrating to play.

Every time I get on to play, I just get disappointed. I love the server for the community, but even the regulars who I enjoy playing with are slowly losing interest in the server due to the spawn times. Eventually, you're just going to be losing all of the people who care about the server and want to donate. If you want to have instant respawns, go play Fagmasters. If you want a Skial instant respawn, then ask for the Skial community to fund another server.

GOOFii

Scarcely Lethal Noob
+1 agree

these respawn times are ass. If you want to do faster respawn times, then decrease them by a little, don't do instant respawn. as everyone has said above, instant respawn ruins the competitiveness on dustbowl. if people want to play with instant respawns they'll go to 2fort, harvest or turbine. you dont need to make all your servers instant respawn. please revert back to normal respawn times or at least a semblance of vanilla repsawn times.

Bottiger

Administrator
But for some reason the spawn are changed to instant again. The server is broken again, the spawn times made the server less competitive and lazy. It's just not fun.
Please revert back the spawn times to normal, 20 secs for red and 8 secs for blue, let's keep it this way.
This server were always full with regulars but not anymore. The server barely maintains 32 people at prime time.

If you think the server barely maintains 32 people at prime time you are biased. There are more players than ever on the server and it is filling up early in the day and emptying out later at night.

The simple fact is that the vast majority of players dislike 20 second respawns and it is shown by the fact that fragmasters with fast respawns is filled 20 hours a day while ours was filled for 10 hours a day and dropping. Our server was empty at 6 pm EST on old respawn times and that is simply unacceptable. The signs that our last dustbowl server was dying was completely obvious.

This change is making the server more popular again. Unfortunately everyone has their own preferences so it may not seem better to you. Win rates are not that much imbalanced. It is still around 54%/46%.

There's no doubt about it, the server just isn't fun to play anymore.

You have to grind out stage 1 on BLU for 15 minutes, then get spawn camped on stage 2. If you somehow make it to stage 3, it is because BLU just straight up rolled RED on stage 1 and stage 2, and guess what? They generally just roll stage 3 as well.

I quit playing the objective on BLU because your picks literally mean nothing. With the old spawn times, if you're sniping on BLU and you pick the RED sniper, it means you are free to play more risky for about 30 seconds until the RED sniper respawns. Now, it is like, you have 15-20 seconds to do the same. The BLU team needs a larger window to push while red is wiped, and right now with the spawn times as they are, that window is too short.

It just requires some more teamwork now to push out at the same time and activate more ubers at the same time. It is just that the players on dustbowl aren't used to this because they are used to killing someone and not having to worry about them for 20 whole seconds.

please revert back to normal respawn times or at least a semblance of vanilla repsawn times.

It is not instant.

If you recently donated and want a refund, please pm me. This is likely not going to be reverted. This is a change to make the dustbowl server last the next 10 years.

potato2222

Banned
Contributor
If you think the server barely maintains 32 people at prime time you are biased. There are more players than ever on the server and it is filling up early in the day and emptying out later at night.

The simple fact is that the vast majority of players dislike 20 second respawns and it is shown by the fact that fragmasters with fast respawns is filled 20 hours a day while ours was filled for 10 hours a day and dropping. Our server was empty at 6 pm EST on old respawn times and that is simply unacceptable. The signs that our last dustbowl server was dying was completely obvious.

This change is making the server more popular again. Unfortunately everyone has their own preferences so it may not seem better to you. Win rates are not that much imbalanced. It is still around 54%/46%.

It is not instant.

If you recently donated and want a refund, please pm me. This is likely not going to be reverted. This is a change to make the dustbowl server last the next 10 years.

Correlation does not mean causation. There can be any number of reasons one server is more popular than another, so chalking it up to respawn times is lazy thinking. Just because it was sunny outside when the server was more full doesn't mean the weather controls server popularity too. Besides, the server was still full for much of the day when times were reverted to default briefly a few weeks ago. I agree having a popular server is a good thing, but the best way to tell what people think of a change is to actually ask the community. This thread may be biased because people who disagree with a change are likelier to post than those who agree, but something like a poll would be a start.

Assuming you are using the team scores at the top of the leaderboard for win rates, they do not accurately show which side wins more often because when the teams switch, so do their scores. I explained that in a different thread but that was ignored.