LottaFazion

Mildly Menacing Medic
Unfortunately, this map can't be added in it's current state. There's a reason why this map isn't on any servers actually. There are too many edicts, so they map ends up crashing with only a handful of players.

Reactions: Sore

Nukellavee

Unremarkable User
Unfortunately, this map can't be added in it's current state. There's a reason why this map isn't on any servers actually. There are too many edicts, so they map ends up crashing with only a handful of players.
What's a good number of edicts to shoot for to ensure it doesn't crash?

「Coronarena」

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
What's a good number of edicts to shoot for to ensure it doesn't crash?
I tend to go for 1400, although you could probably get away with 1700. As long as you count in the fact that every player, cosmetic, anything that the server needs to think about, is an edict, just take that number away, and give yourself a few edicts breathing room. 2048 is the maximum source can handle. For reference, entities like logic_relay are NOT edicts, since they aren't server-side, while entities like trigger_hurt, func_door, info_teleport_destination, are edicts since they can move, or change state or do whatever, and the server needs to keep track of that.

Nukellavee

Unremarkable User
I tend to go for 1400, although you could probably get away with 1700. As long as you count in the fact that every player, cosmetic, anything that the server needs to think about, is an edict, just take that number away, and give yourself a few edicts breathing room. 2048 is the maximum source can handle. For reference, entities like logic_relay are NOT edicts, since they aren't server-side, while entities like trigger_hurt, func_door, info_teleport_destination, are edicts since they can move, or change state or do whatever, and the server needs to keep track of that.
When I run report_entities on an empty server running the map it says there are 1415 edicts being used. When I filled the server with bot players, that jumped to 1900. Do I just need to cut down even more below 1415?

Last edited:

worMatty

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Mapper
The number should not jump by 500 when you add bots. There may be some entities spawning in response to players joining, which don't appear when the map is idle. For example anything repeatedly spawned by a point_template or tf_point_weapon_mimic is usually an edict. The server command `sv_dump_edicts` will give you a list you can use to find out what you can cut down on.

On a server of human players, any edicts to do with players should cap out at around 400. Each player is an edict, and each weapon and cosmetic.

Tomorrow, Death Experiments will be running a play test of a modified version of your map, created and requested by Lotta with your authorisation. We will be able to provide more information on closer examination.

Bottiger

Administrator
People say it has too many edicts. Since no one is running the map, I'm not going to spend the time to optimize it myself since we don't have a good idea whether it would be a good map or not.