3) Known problems
4) Availability of parts

Mobility is irrelevant

Comparing
1) Price
2) Performance
3) Known problems

Mobility is irrelevant

1) If we compare a desktop and a laptop with the same performance (the desktop is bought in parts), then the laptop will always cost more. So it's beneficial to buy a desktop because you will pay less than if you bought the laptop.

2) Laptops are pretty much on pair with desktops (unless we're talking the most highest available) in performance.

3) It's possible to replace most (if not all) parts in a desktop, while a laptop is more 'locked down'. So in the long run a desktop is more beneficial because you can upgrade it easier. Laptops are infamous of overheating more easily than desktops because of less practical air circulation (of course some laptops are made with this in mind).

The only reason why I would recommend a laptop is for its mobility, and if that's irrelevant I would strongly recommend that a desktop is the preferred choice.

Phaiz

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
1) If we compare a desktop and a laptop with the same performance (the desktop is bought in parts), then the laptop will always cost more. So it's beneficial to buy a desktop because you will pay less than if you bought the laptop.

2) Laptops are pretty much on pair with desktops (unless we're talking the most highest available) in performance.

3) It's possible to replace most (if not all) parts in a desktop, while a laptop is more 'locked down'. So in the long run a desktop is more beneficial because you can upgrade it easier. Laptops are infamous of overheating more easily than desktops because of less practical air circulation (of course some laptops are made with this in mind).

The only reason why I would recommend a laptop is for its mobility, and if that's irrelevant I would strongly recommend that a desktop is the preferred choice.
I was going to add 'Availability of parts" but I didn't. I don't want to come off as saying you don't know what you're talking about but I have been told before that a laptop was cheaper than desktop of equal performance, I've simply never bothered comparing prices of equal builds.

Also if I didn't have this cooling fan that my laptop sits on, it would overheat because I've felt it get hot without the fan.

Phaiz

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
Another question I could present is this:
What is the best way to build a desktop? I don't have the computer know-how to manually build my own unless I had very clear instructions.
Is it cheaper to buy individual components from say Newegg or is it cheaper to build one online say at Xoticpc?

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Moose summed it up perfectly

But I wanted to throw mine out there: Take it from me, someone stuck with a gaming lap top...get a desktop.

Unless you're traveling quite a lot and can't go home to game on a desktop then a laptop is not worth it in the long run.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Another question I could present is this:
What is the best way to build a desktop? I don't have the computer know-how to manually build my own unless I had very clear instructions.
Is it cheaper to buy individual components from say Newegg or is it cheaper to build one online say at Xoticpc?

Buying individual parts and building it yourself is cheaper.

If you don't know how to build your own PC I suggest buying a prebuilt.

When it comes to prebuilt computers be careful as some places way over charge for their merchandise. Alienware is a prime example of a company that over charges for their prebuilt computers so make sure you find a seller that has reasonable prices

Phaiz

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
Buying individual parts and building it yourself is cheaper.

If you don't know how to build your own PC I suggest buying a prebuilt.

When it comes to prebuilt computers be careful as some places way over charge for their merchandise. Alienware is a prime example of a company that over charges for their prebuilt computers so make sure you find a seller that has reasonable prices
I agree. I actually build a computer through Alienware and another company, can't remember who, but the price difference was roughly $500 on a ~$2000 machine. If I remember correctly, Alienware charged $250 more for a Radeon 7870 alone than the other company.

Phaiz

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
Ok Furry, what do you think about this build from Xotic?

EXODUS Stage 1 "Prime"
- FREE - Splinter Cell: Blacklist w/ NVIDIA 660 or Higher Series Graphics Card! [excludes Titan / must be requested during checkout / limited supply]
- SilverStone Fortress FT03 Tower
- No Chassis Display / Controller Enchancement
- Upgrade Chassis With Zalman Performance Fans (Up to 6 Fans)
- No Noise Suppression
- No Internal Lighting Enchancements
- Stock Chassis Finish - No Custom Exterior Finishes
- No Desktop Laser-Sketch™
- 600W Corsair CX Power Supply Unit
- ASUS Z87M-PLUS (Intel Z87 Chipset) (mATX Form Factor, 4 DIMMS, 2 PCI Expansion Slots)
- Intel® Core i5-4670K (3.40-3.80GHz) (22nm, 6MB cache) (Quad-Core CPU) (Z87 Motherboard Required)
- CPU Overclocking: (Stage 1) Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz (XPC Service)
- SINGLE - AMD® Radeon HD 7870 (2GB) GDDR5
- No thanks - I do not want to add a 2nd Graphics Card
- Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability (XPC Service)
- 500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache (SATA II - 3GB/s) - Default (SKU - HDD015)
- 500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache (SATA II - 3GB/s) (SKU - HDD011)
- No 3rd Hard Drive
- Raid 1 HDD Configuration - Mirror (Requires Two HDDs)
- No Raid Controller
- SLOT Load - 24x DVD Writer/Reader + 48x CD Writer/Reader (Slim Slot Loading Edition)
- H20: (Stage 2) Corsair H80 Liquid CPU Cooler (with 120mm Radiator)
- No H20 Tube Color - I do not have a FROSTBITE Liquid Cooling System
- 16GB DDR3 1600MHz (4GBx4 DIMMS) Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
- No Thanks, Please do not Overclock/Boost My Memory
- No Bluetooth
- Wireless PCI-E ASUS PCE-N15 (Supports 802.11n/g/b)
- Integrated Motherboard Audio
- No Add-On Card
- All-in-1 USB Memory Card Reader Add-On
- No Expansion Bay
- Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-Bit Edition)
- No thanks, I Do Not Want DUAL BOOT Operating System Option
- Yes, Redline Boost My Operating System (Operating System Required) (XPC Service)
- No OFFICE Software
- No PC Game
- None
- No Antivirus Essentials Software Bundle
- No Keyboard
- No Mouse
- No Headset
- No Monitor
- No Speakers
- No Mouse Pad
- No External Hard Drive
- No Rush Build - Standard Production Time is 8-16 Business Days
- 3 Year Limited Platinum Warranty [LIFETIME Labor Warranty / 1 Year Parts] w/ LIFETIME 24/7 Domestic Technical Support
- Included XOTIC PC Binder & Certificate of Ownership – take pride in your system with a hand-signed personalized XOTIC PC certificate!
- * 24/7 LIFETIME U.S. based technical support
* Extreme QA testing by dedicated technicians
* 24-72 Hour stress testing and benchmarking to ensure top performance and stability

- XOTIC PC's White Glove Premium Packaging is standard on all Desktops!
- No Wood Crate Shipping $1,916.00
pixel_trans.gif

Sub-Total: $1,916.00

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Also if I didn't have this cooling fan that my laptop sits on, it would overheat because I've felt it get hot without the fan.

Does it just get hot to the touch or is it actually overheating? If it feels on the warm side that doesn't necessarily mean its overheating as laptops generally run a lot hotter but they're usually designed to take the heat. Heck, my laptop can safely run at temperatures that would be considered hardware destroying by desktop standards

If you like you could even check your CPU tempature using coretemp to give you an idea if you're hitting dangerous tempatures http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Phaiz

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
Does it just get hot to the touch or is it actually overheating? If it feels on the warm side that doesn't necessarily mean its overheating as laptops generally run a lot hotter but they're usually designed to take the heat. Heck, my laptop can safely run at temperatures that would be considered hardware destroying by desktop standards

If you like you could even check your CPU tempature using coretemp to give you an idea if you're hitting dangerous tempatures http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
Hot to the touch under the left side about an inch from the edge. Right now 'core 1' is at about 109 Fahrenheit with the max being displayed as 117. The fan my laptop sits on is running.

Edit - the 'max as 117' was the highest it got, it says 'Tj. max is 194.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Hot to the touch under the left side about an inch from the edge. Right now 'core 1' is at about 109 Fahrenheit with the max being displayed as 117. The fan my laptop sits on is running.

What's the Tj. Max number?

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
It's 194. I had to think about it for a second before I realized that was the maximum it CAN get.

As long as your processor isn't getting dangerously close to 194 then it should be fine as far as I know.

"Max" is the highest recorded tempature your processor core(s) have reached while core temp is running.

Tj. Max is different, but if your temaptures are nearing the Tj. Max number then you're nearing some iffy numbers

staticvoid

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Desktops might be more expensive, however they offer more performance and the availability to upgrade the parts if anything ever gets outdated.

I was going to add 'Availability of parts" but I didn't. I don't want to come off as saying you don't know what you're talking about but I have been told before that a laptop was cheaper than desktop of equal performance, I've simply never bothered comparing prices of equal builds..

If you compare a laptop and a desktop of equal performance, the main difference you can observe is that the components are smaller for the laptop so they can fit in the case. The price to manufacture smaller components with the same performance as bigger components are higher because it require a production of better precision (acquired from better machines and better technology).

tux9656

Uncharitable Spy
Another thing to consider is that most prebuilt machines come with tons of trialware (some of which may contain adware or spyware) that you wouldn't want on your computer.

You could watch Youtube videos and tear apart an old computer to teach yourself how all the components come together. Computer really aren't all that complicated. The reason businesses like Geek Squad exist is because people are lazy and would rather accept computers and electronics as magic hokus pokus than spend a few hours using their brain. Frankly, I can't stand to use anything without a least a basic understanding of how it works.

Drum

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Mapper
Another thing to consider is that most prebuilt machines come with tons of trialware (some of which may contain adware or spyware) that you wouldn't want on your computer.

That's easily solvable, first thing I do with new laptops is either install a linux distro or do a fresh install of windows 7 / 8.

What's better depends on what you need.
Need mobility? Get a laptop.
Don't need mobility? Get a desktop. Better extensibility, more parts, cheaper, more powerful, etc.
Currently I own a desktop with 12gigs of ram, an intel i7 920, and a gtx 480. I can upgrade if I want.
But on the go, when I am on campus, when I need to do basic schoolwork, I use my Macbook Air because it's super portable, and still good for doing stuff in ruby and fsharp.

edit: and Phaiz, I personally would opt for an Nvidia card. But that's just me.