the dealer

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
The number of people playing TF2 has been declining steadily, perhaps largely due to the growth of CSGO. Many items from TF2 have fallen dramatically in price. It seems to me that it is clear that TF2 will die out within maybe 2 years.

What do you think?

[TBM] CeLlS

Uncharitable Spy
I really don't think so
If anything is going to kill Team Fortress 2 its going to be the key inflation crises.

Arya

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
I think that if valve was to make it not f2p again tf2 would last a lot longer, otherwise just to many little kids are who grew up playing cod are going to run it into the ground

Catt

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
I don't understand why a game would die just because the items won't be worth a lot. Team Fortress 2 was not going to die before trading became a thing (Those good, better days)~ Making Team Fortress 2 a game you had to purchase again to play probably would not happen since Valve earn more on Team Fortress 2 now than ever before. 3:

I feel this is the same as saying "WoW is dying! They only got 9 million monthly subscribers now".

Arya

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
It's less of a dying rather a change in the people playing. A lot of good players have left because of more and more child centered content. Like those stupid Mario cart servers, it's like wtf. So yeah, less of a dying of tf2, and more of a change of population. It's rated m for a reason.

GenocYda

Yes, that's true, the game seems to be less popular over time, market is getting smaller over time, you can see it on unusuals and other high-valued items now, nobody wants to buy them, though TF2 won't die anytime soon, people still like trading around for profit, also keys are extremely important for game resellers, as they are being used as payments, though, if TF2 keys will lose it's value on Market, they'll use different items instead, but I don't that'll happen anytime soon, it's still a currency.

The problem with TF2 is that the market's not driven by profit more than ever, most of the market will consist of experienced traders that actually don't care about items self, but only about values, which creates unhealthy market, the item value decrease will be increasing over time, unusuals could eventually go for even few keys, because no one will want to buy them and there will be little to no profile in many segments of market, which used to be easy to trade in.

This is all already happening, it will just get worse over time, some people will end trading and others will just go to DOTA2/CS:GO market, since those ones are on rise (especially DOTA2 market seems to be good alternative, since it's already established). Those are my predictions and I think I'm right, we'll see.

the dealer

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
I don't understand why a game would die just because the items won't be worth a lot. Team Fortress 2 was not going to die before trading became a thing (Those good, better days)~ Making Team Fortress 2 a game you had to purchase again to play probably would not happen since Valve earn more on Team Fortress 2 now than ever before. 3:

I feel this is the same as saying "WoW is dying! They only got 9 million monthly subscribers now".
You'd be surprised at how many people play the game just to make a profit so they can use it on other games. The price of Earbuds are almost cut in half, and many Unusuals have also become incredibly cheap. These are signs of a declining player base and a declining number of people willing to spend money on this game. You can also see from the stats on Steam that now at most only 50,000ish players play TF2 simultaneously these days, down from the peak of 70-80K a year or so ago. In comparison, CSGO now has over 130,000 peak players each day, when it only had around 10,000ish a year ago.

hXcjedders

Australian Skial God
Just because a game gets less popular doesnt mean it is dead. Also, you seem to be more focused on the TF2 economy which is a whole separate matter from the actual game. There are tons of players that dont even recognize thesignificance of hats.

Defibyoulater

Australian Skial God
Contributor
It's the updates that usually keep people interested. But we've gone through 20 of them and all we've got is new hats and misc. I think a lot of people would hop back on TF2 if they added new weapons.

Also I started CoD: WaW, and there is nothing like shooting through walls.

Catt

I still think there's a huge different from "Team Fortress 2 is dying" to "People can't make the same profit" though. :3

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Less people play when there hasn't been a content patch in a while, the prices fluctuate to reflect this.

When the next major content patch comes out I'm sure prices will atleast get somewhat back to normal.

Turtle Poop

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
I think that if valve was to make it not f2p again tf2 would last a lot longer, otherwise just to many little kids are who grew up playing cod are going to run it into the ground
The shooters I grew up with were COD 4, Halo 2, and Timesplitters 2. I'm not saying I'm good at the game but I'm definitely better than the average player. It just irritates me when people say F2P's suck and they ruined the game. Also, making people have to pay again would decrease the sales of the game, so it would probably kill TF2 faster.

>=SF=< TsTheSetting

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Seems an interesting idea. Heck I'v played the game casually for a year ish and only recently got into trading. But if the Tip of the Hats event was any example having made nearly 3 TIMEs as much as the previous year. If anything this is an example of an interest in that, without new content users have gone out of their way to create their own and people enjoy it. The market was no different as its been a user driven thing for so long and will continue to be so. The access to mutual sites like Scrap.tf, TP.tf and outpost have made the market more competitive to a growing (although less consistent) trader base. If anything and I say this confidently it would be the accessibility to trading and the famous idler account issue creating masses of metals that drove the prices of keys up due to the commonality of Ref metal. The whole F2p vs P2P has and will be a cry baby story as in honesty its a fun game and makes valve money. But the move to f2p did make idler accounts which influenced the market more accessible with the lock on premium fixing this minorly. The increase of key price promptly reduced the value of idler accounts directly because it took them longer to develop income. No single thing is easily a target of why this is happening but TF2 has had a long life span and from what I can see will continue to do so.