T

tarpsocks

The lag on this map seems to only occur when it is set to 32 max players. Since turbine is already a very dense map, I think the gameplay wouldn't be hurt by much in dropping to 26-28 players. I understand it was thought that the most recent update would cause less lag as a result of making linux servers threaded, however, the lag has been confirmed to persist when 32 players are on the server at once. Last night/early this morning there were less players on and I couldn't feel a significant amount of lag.

H

Honey bunches of hoes

Yes the issue of lag is a problem when it comes to the turbine server. However, I have enjoyed the server most when it is full. Long matches, plenty of targets and you don't feel the AFK players strain on your team. The two things that brought me to the server in the first place was that i was looking for a 32 player turbine server with alltalk on. with that said, lets test it out! lets spend a month with 28 max players and see if it helps.

Bottiger

Administrator
The lag is completely gone when there are 32 players thanks to the recent patch.

If you are still getting lag, your computer isn't fast enough.

tarpsocks

Unremarkable User
I think it is a bit presumptuous to assume my computer can not handle something if you haven't used it, nor know anything about it. I get over 100 fps consistently, and I assure you, this problem extends beyond merely my computer. I would invite you to join the skial ctf_turbine server right now (12:30 am 10/18/2011) and tell me that there is not server-side lag. For the record, I have 14 ms ping and I still get these problems.

Furthermore, it has been admitted that this particular turbine server is running on a box with 3 other maps. This points towards the server having insufficient resources to run the game properly.

Bottiger

Administrator
I think it is a bit presumptuous to assume my computer can not handle something if you haven't used it, nor know anything about it. I get over 100 fps consistently, and I assure you, this problem extends beyond merely my computer. I would invite you to join the skial ctf_turbine server right now (12:30 am 10/18/2011) and tell me that there is not server-side lag. For the record, I have 14 ms ping and I still get these problems.

Furthermore, it has been admitted that this particular turbine server is running on a box with 3 other maps. This points towards the server having insufficient resources to run the game properly.

That server is running 13 maps. The server is running an e3-1270, which is within 17% of the speed of the fastest CPU in existence. It has 4 cores at 3.40 GHZ with hyperthreading, which bumps it up to 8 cores.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

CPU usage is always under 70%, even after an update when every single map is full. Each instance of srcds uses up to 40% of 1 core MAX (it uses 30% usually), which comes out to 5% CPU per instance of srcds.

Saying you have 14 ms ping doesn't mean much, and your 100 FPS can dip easily in large firefights.

tarpsocks

Unremarkable User
It never dips below 100, this game is super easy to run with modern hardware. Perhaps the server isn't under unreasonable load, but claiming there is no lag since the update is untrue. Perhaps the source of the lag is undetermined, but it is not reasonable to suggest that it is a mass hallucination.

Bottiger

Administrator
I really doubt it is mass halucination.

Most of the time someone complains that everyone is complaining about lag...
I log into the server console and find out that only 2 people are complaining about lag.

There are basically 3 possibilities.
  • Your computer is too slow.
  • Your internet is having problems.
  • DOS attack
I am playing there right now with 29 people and it is not even close to lagging.

Bottiger

Administrator
8C70C00912A8D4694C0AD9CA66DF2EEFB92043B7

Giildy

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I'm starting to think the random bursts of lag I've been getting are directly related to client side crashes.

I played on a not-skial server earlier and I experience some sever lag and fps drops just before hl.exe crashed.

Also, I think I crashed out at the same time Bottiger did.

[TC]CreepingDeath

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
You know, a lot of people are like "OMG!!! TEH LAGZ!!!!" and I'm like "Uh... What lag, guys? Smooth sailing here! Why don't you get Verizon FiOS?"

[TC]CreepingDeath

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Suggestion...

Buy a better video card than the one that the Dell dude installed in your machine after smoking a bowl.

collegehumor.6ab5dc7c69def000f6f546cd5aa85367.jpg