Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Edit: (Should of put this in.) I think there should be a line that people should not cross. If they are going to far and cross that line, they should be taken care of in some manner.

I know this would be a hard thing to take care of on all the servers, due to that this is the internet and this stuff happens all the time. To me, how people act on the servers is important to new comers. If you go on a server and see there is alot of jerks or bullies on the server, chances are you might not come back. I do not know if this has been ever suggested bu maybe some form of this could happen?

Again, I know this could be a hard thing to calm down, but the players do effect how the server looks, and Skial is meant to be a fun place to play Team Fortress 2 (or any other game.) Just a thought that sometimes people can go very overboard on servers, witch can lead to problems for other players also.

I'm pretty sure 95% of those you want to address doesn't read the forum nor care about your advice. Most of the servers on Skial is on Quickplay, so you'll get those rotten eggs that join once and are dicks without any real consequence.

It's infuriating, but it would be nearly impossible for anyone to handle it more than what our admins already does. Just keep reporting assholes if they are breaking the rules.

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
It's infuriating, but it would be nearly impossible for anyone to handle it more than what our admins already does. Just keep reporting assholes if they are breaking the rules.

That is the problem, they are not breaking any rules. Some of them are smart enough on Skail to not break the rules such as racism and vote abuse and such. I'm not saying something like small harassment, I'm more on the line of the people who start to make threats about you or your family. There is no rule for such stuff like this and I doubt it would fall into griefing. I have found plenty of players who go overboard like this in game, it is hard to take it as a joke when you go to far, and how the hell can you tell if they are not serous or not? Some people are bat shit insane.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
That is the problem, they are not breaking any rules. Some of them are smart enough on Skail to not break the rules such as racism and vote abuse and such. I'm not saying something like small harassment, I'm more on the line of the people who start to make threats about you or your family. There is no rule for such stuff like this and I doubt it would fall into griefing. I have found plenty of players who go overboard like this in game, it is hard to take it as a joke when you go to far, and how the hell can you tell if they are not serous or not? Some people are bat shit insane.

Don't take this the wrong way or anything, but if you're concerned about someone carrying out a threat against you then a server ban or silence isn't going to stop them.

99% of the time those 'threats' are just internet tough guy threats (false threats that aren't actually serious). Even if they wanted to try to do something to you, there's no way they can figure out where you live. The best they could come up with is what state you live in by using your IP adress, but that's about it. AFAIK you can't get someone's adress or exact pinpointed location through a IP adress alone unless you can obtain it from their ISP but you'd need one hell of a good legal reason to do so.

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Edit: I screwed up quoting you Furry so I got nothing to fix that. :megusta:

I know it wont stop them, but I feel we don't need them on the server. I understand its a hard thing to put down on the table and takes time, but I want players on Skial to be happy, it is just bad when I see some one on the server getting harassed in bad ways. I won't lie, I tend to do the harassing (nothing major, mainly just gamer harassing) we are all human. But there is a line that people do cross and shouldn't. Its the internet but it still effects the people who go on the servers, and it makes the servers look bad. I know it wont stop no matter what, but there has to be some form of line that they would maybe get in trouble for.

Also with finding out who you are though IP. Again, you never know. Some people are bat shit insane, and will go out of their way to make your life a living hell. Not saying this could happen ever on Skial, but its the internet, anything is possible.

Astir

Legendary Skial King
Since Meowcenary explained it very nicely, I am only going to add that revealing personal information to others on the server is against the rules.

Rules
  • Posting others personal and private information without consent.

Phaiz

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
If they start banning or gagging people because they are 'mean' it isn't going to work out because too many things are situational. The best thing you can do is to not take it personal and understand that most of the time it is just a kid being an idiot.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Edit: I screwed up quoting you Furry so I got nothing to fix that. :megusta:

I know it wont stop them, but I feel we don't need them on the server. I understand its a hard thing to put down on the table and takes time, but I want players on Skial to be happy, it is just bad when I see some one on the server getting harassed in bad ways. I won't lie, I tend to do the harassing (nothing major, mainly just gamer harassing) we are all human. But there is a line that people do cross and shouldn't. Its the internet but it still effects the people who go on the servers, and it makes the servers look bad. I know it wont stop no matter what, but there has to be some form of line that they would maybe get in trouble for.

Also with finding out who you are though IP. Again, you never know. Some people are bat shit insane, and will go out of their way to make your life a living hell. Not saying this could happen ever on Skial, but its the internet, anything is possible.

I see where you're coming from and I'm not saying I disagree with you but I don't think this could realistically be enforced on Skial.

But hey that's just my two cents. If admins could feel that something can be enforced to help keep people stepping way over the line off the servers I'm all for it myself

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
If they start banning or gagging people because they are 'mean' it isn't going to work out because too many things are situational. The best thing you can do is to not take it personal and understand that most of the time it is just a kid being an idiot.

Like i said, im looking for a line they are crossing. There is some form of line where you should stop, and if you don't it should be enforced and stopped as soon as possible.

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Its annoying when there are e-thugs on any server....it's impossible for any server community let alone one as large as this one to police all the servers and be sure there is no e-thuggery going on.

Clientside mute blocks both text & speech. And also apparently lasts even after you reconnect or they do. I've found people I've muted a few days after. Trolls are everywhere online (even on this very forum *GASP*) best to just ignore douches and move on and continue to play.

Does that hide chat or something?

You know how text in the chat is visible for a few seconds before it disappears, and if you want to see old chat you'll have to press "y" and scroll?

"hud_saytext_time 15" is the default one, means that text will be visible on your screen for 15 seconds before it fades out. So if you put a zero there all text will fade out in zero seconds (so you will not see the text at all unless you press it up).

The command is a lifesaver on Deathrun, so much stupidity sometimes that you cannot deal with.

Morbuzka

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
In my opinion, I think there is little we can do to stop bullying. There is always someone out there who has the knowledge to do bad, we all have that knowledge, we just don't use, some people do. The best bet we have at stopping any sort of bullying to convince people on the servers and around here that whatever people say to them isn't worth two shits unless it's a compliment.
just my 2cents, coming from a freshman

Status
Not open for further replies.