ThirstyDonut

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
So I was defragging my cache files for TF2 the other day and my computer completely froze 75% of the way through, so I did a hard reset. Now, whenever I try to launch TF2, it keeps saying that it's Validating Steam Files, and even after it finishes validating, it validates again and again and again. I've already tried renaming clientregistry.blob, defragging TF2 again, and deleting all of the files in the steam folder except steamapps and steam.exe, as it reccomended on the Knowledge Base, "https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2971-RUAG-7390", but it hasn't done anything.
I really don't want to redownload and reinstall tf2, but if there's nothing else I can do, I suppose that I'll have to.
Any suggestions?

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Delete the "team fortress 2" folder, launch tf2. You won't have to redownload.

ThirstyDonut

Contributor
Okay, so after I deleted the files and verified, it's downloading 4 gigs worth of stuff. Wonderful, Hopefully it works. Anyways, I'll update once the download is finished

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Okay, so after I deleted the files and verified, it's downloading 4 gigs worth of stuff. Wonderful, Hopefully it works. Anyways, I'll update once the download is finished
You deleted just the "team fortress 2" folder?

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Yeah, I was pretty sure it's supposed to rebuild from the gcfs though. Maybe they were corrupt or something.

ThirstyDonut

Contributor
Hmm...the interrupted defrag probably corrupted them. If this doesn't work, should I just reinstall it?

ThirstyDonut

Contributor
Excellent work, Oaky. My tf2 is working again. I can't really do much for you, aside from rating your post as winning. You have my sincerest thanks.