hXcjedders

Australian Skial God
So, I've wanted to try my hand at comp, but have no idea what I'm doing. I'm not sure on whether or not I'm even good enough to bother with comp on any of the classes. So I have a couple questions -

1)Are there any good comp practice/exhibition/training servers that have regular matchups for people to just wander in and play?

2)Do recruitments exist or is this purely based on networking through steam friends to build a team that qualifies for the various comp size brackets

3)From what I've read on competition, medics are the leaders of the battlefield. Is this an accurate statement? (Medic is probably my best class, but I don't think they'd want an unexperienced comp player being medic if that's the case.)

4)Feel free to add as much extra information as you want. I have checked out the TF2 wiki on competition but that's about it. So, I got the basics I guess.

Isil

Epic Skial Regular
1) Get the people you want to do "comp" with and play a lobby (tf2lobby.com) <-- I think that's the site
a) elitist fags will tell you that a lobby isn't much different from a pub, they're wrong. The different method of connecting to a game
breeds an air of importance. Coupled with that, you will probably be playing against people better than on a public server.

2) Probably the latter

3) I don't know, probably.

hXcjedders

Australian Skial God
Okay, thanks for the tip about tf2lobby, I'll check it out and try to get into some kind of group. I have an astounding 13 steam friends haha.

Giildy

Australian Skial God
Contributor
1)Are there any good comp practice/exhibition/training servers that have regular matchups for people to just wander in and play?

2)Do recruitments exist or is this purely based on networking through steam friends to build a team that qualifies for the various comp size brackets

3)From what I've read on competition, medics are the leaders of the battlefield. Is this an accurate statement? (Medic is probably my best class, but I don't think they'd want an unexperienced comp player being medic if that's the case.)

4)Feel free to add as much extra information as you want. I have checked out the TF2 wiki on competition but that's about it. So, I got the basics I guess.
1) Lobby is a good place to learn about how other people play their classes. Every once in a great while someone really good and very communicative will be in a lobby and you can learn so much from them. Always pay the most attention to the medic and what the medic says. If you plan on playing medic in lobbies please be familiar with the maps.

2) Recruitments exist in the ugc forums or like... in natf2(theeeey are much more hardcore... you should have some exposure and experience before you try to get recruited there)

3) Medics should be the leaders of the battle field because they should be keeping track of ubers (yours and thiers) and also who is up and down. If not you than your pocket. It's difficult to get there. I'm not very good to be honest. If you feel like you need help developing in your class I would recommend looking around for a mentor. The mentor doesn't have to be a medic, or even someone very experienced with highlander, even just someone who is good at 6's is a great person to hold your hand. (i owe tons to bopper and mrboo)

4) looks for guides on how to make comms. Comms are very much your job, and you'll have to encourage good comms in your team. You will end up being main caller.

If you can find a group of friends to start up a baby highlander team, that'a great way to get yourself exposure to teams that would be interested in picking up a new medic, if you show promise. I know i somehow managed to get 3 other highlander teams asking after me as a medic once i left my first team. I didn't even advertise.

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
As people have said, play lobby's get to know those who play regular there, after you have got a rep for being a 'good' medic, put LFT in your name. Unless you really excel as medic, you wont get any hardcore teams asking for you, but you may get lower division teams ask you to join them and this is a gateway into playing and getting to know the comp scene.
watch youtube to see what other medics do to improve your play, see team strategys on maps so you know what teh best course of acton is.
The medic sets the pace of the game, coordinates players through voice coms by gaining as much knowledge of the 'battle' as possible, the more knowledge you have about other classes and their capabilities in any given situation the better you can direct the team. with this said, it's good to learn as much about heavy and demo as possible, as these will be you main heal targets.