Feral Angel

Contributor
Howdy fellas. I’m currently on the road to sign up for college. As of right now I want to do community college first to get my basic classes done. However, I’m stuck, I don’t know what I really want to major in. So far looking into the courses that community classes offers; 2 have caught my eyes.

1. biological science - I love nature and science in general

2. computer science- been thinking about this field since middle school. I want to learn a lot about softwares and solving problems.

I know I can change my mind later on but I want some opinions from anyone who took either one of these. Thank you! :blush:

Trillium

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Never went to college but I would say computer science, the whole world is digital, everything is online and all that infrastructure needs people to maintain and create it

Zeo

TF2 Admin
Contributor
This is coming from someone who graduated with a bachelor's degree in Computer Science.

If you want to get into biology as a major you're most likely going to get a masters degree to get any use out of it. There's a lot of fields you can branch off into after you initially get the bachelor's degree and go for your masters like veterinarian, medical, marine life, etc. It's pretty long but I know a lot of colleagues who went this route to great success.

Computer Science as a major really depends on you. There's a lot of different areas you can specialize in as you get your bachelor's degree like data scientist, IT support, Software Engineer, Web developer, System Administrator, Cyber Security, etc. These are broad categories and each specialization has a lot of variety. For example in Web development you could do back end if you're more into coding or front end if you want to focus on design. You'll find success if you like solving problems. A big mistake a lot of students make is thinking Computer Science is just Software Engineering because this is what colleges will focus on.

You have to take the time during your studies to do research on what you want to do and intern with companies who can give you the experience. You will not learn how to work in college and it's important that you do this. Without interning out of college it will be very difficult to find work. You should also do things like join clubs, start projects, or do online challenges. These things will help you land internships.

Remember college is just a tool for you to learn the basics, networking, and finding internships. Networking is a key part of why you would want to go to a college. You can't just expect to go through college taking your course catalog. You have to make connections with other students. Internships are the other key part. You have to apply like crazy before the summer or know someone that can get you in. Colleges typically have resources that can help you too. Use every thing they offer you.

I'm more then open to talking more in depth over voice chat. I spent a lot of time in university helping other students.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toxik

mub

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
research apprenticeships in your area and see what comes up

This. If you're interested at all in skilled trade jobs like electricianry or carpentry, there is a growing demand for it across the country. Cool jobs that have a lot of easy real world applicable skills, on the job training, etc. Not to mention they pay pretty handsomely for what they are.

College kinda overrated

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
I know a lot of people who went the Biology route and are still unemployed and racking up debt for postgraduate school. As Zeo said, it’s basically a requirement to have more than just a Bachelor’s in the medical field if you want to have a good-paying job.

Everyone I know who went the computer science route and took the time to talk with companies, network, and do competitions is either close to or already making six figures. However, people who went the computer science route and didn’t do anything except go to class are more or less doing shitty IT jobs. Pay isn’t terrible for what it is, but you have to do more than the minimum - whatever route you take - to hit the big leagues.

Italian Doctor

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
wra9pru80t171.jpg

not to be a broken record but there's someone on skial that does some kind of coding for slack full time and makes less than $5/h
whatever you do you'll be great

Reactions: herp 105.4

Toxik

Contributor
research apprenticeships in your area and see what comes up
I think that is usually true in Europe rather than the US, unless as Mub said you want to go into a specific trade like plumber/electrician, you're generally better off going to get whatever general degree then specialize from there on

Whatever you choose, you're doing a great thing picking Community College first. It can help you decide if you ever want to fulfill the college path without the massive expense. Good for you.
This x1000. As long as you pick a legit community college that is accredited (meaning your credits will transfer without issue to a full on college, looking at you scammy online colleges), it is the best way to start your education on the cheap and get a good feeling for college-level learning. They also usually benefit from smaller classes so you get more time with your professors, who usually aren't as full of themselves and will do everything they can to help you out both during class and office hours.

Everyone I know who went the computer science route and took the time to talk with companies, network, and do competitions is either close to or already making six figures. However, people who went the computer science route and didn’t do anything except go to class are more or less doing shitty IT jobs. Pay isn’t terrible for what it is, but you have to do more than the minimum - whatever route you take - to hit the big leagues.
This is very important as well, no matter what degree you seek, you'll have to put in the work to network and use the connections you make during college to get a leg-up when you finish, or sometimes even before you finish depending on whether you use your networks to get you an in at good companies, even if it's as an internship. Those usually aren't great as they don't pay (most of them don't, a few do), but the experience you get from them is something you can put on your resume and will look lightyears better than someone who graduated with higher grades but has 0 professional experience.

I'm also not 100% sure, so anyone here feel free to correct me, but I believe that if you do pick a career towards computer science/computer engineering/IT in general, you should be able to have an advantage over many other people simply due to the fact that you're a woman, and Latina. Not trying to trigger anyone, but it is well known that tech companies have quotas to fill, and filling both of those roles I really think that if you have a real interest in that path, you should be able to have an easier time not just getting accepted for those degrees, but eventually finding jobs in the sector as well. Again, take it with a grain of salt as it's only hearsay, but I've read stories about women getting an easier time getting into those degrees and professional roles as the industry is so male-dominated and companies, both big and small, give a lot of leeway in order to retain whatever public image they want to give out.

DaivdBaekr

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
My experience was that I got an AS in CS and started working in IT, my company was getting on me about how great it would be to finish my BS so I started on that and they immediately stopped caring ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As a side note, if CS is an impacted major at your school(s) of choice, I'd just start with bio and then change majors later.

Zeo

TF2 Admin
Contributor
This. If you're interested at all in skilled trade jobs like electricianry or carpentry, there is a growing demand for it across the country. Cool jobs that have a lot of easy real world applicable skills, on the job training, etc. Not to mention they pay pretty handsomely for what they are.

College kinda overrated
It's pretty hard to find apprenticeships.

All my brothers work as an electrician. They all ended up going back to college to make more money. It's a big difference. College isn't over rated for STEM majors. It's just that people go for easy majors expecting to make the big bucks out of college but realize real fast other people had the same idea so it's impossible to find work.

sboles

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Next year I graduate with my BFA from my local university. Here's some pointers:

See if you can get a certificate or associates from your community college during your time there. I went to a community college for 2 years (and two summer semesters) and by the end of it I had finished nearly all of my gen eds (my degree required 3 upper level courses, so I opted to take them at university) and I had an associates in Liberal Arts. It's not much more more than resume padding, but it's something. An option you could pursue is getting an associates or a certificate in a computer science field of your choice, while taking biology/science classes for gen eds. It'll give you a glimpse at what both degrees are like, and will let you make an informed decision before you start bank rolling some real cash at an accredited institution. Hell, you may be able to land a good job with the certificate. On the job experience is worth more than a piece of paper, the piece of paper just gives you a step in over your peers. But if you can get in the field without spending big bucks, take the opportunity.

Don't take classes just to take them. You're paying for this shit. Maybe instead of comp 102 or whatever, take poetry, or something you think you might get something out of. Instead of calculus, try stats, etc. This last year I was thinking of taking a film class for a humanities credit, purely based on the fact that I like movies, and it was online so I could probably just BS the whole thing anyway. Instead I took Linguistic Anthropology, and even though it has no impact on my major at all, that class enhanced my view of the world significantly. It was definitely more work than an online film class, but it was much more worthy of my time and money. I felt good taking it and studying it.

#1 thing I got out of college is a broadening of world view and connections with people who have the same goals as I do. Having peers and professors I can rely on to talk with about my study, recommend me for jobs, present me with opportunities from places I wasn't aware of, etc., is one of the things that makes college really worth it. Don't be afraid of not fitting in, or not making connections, as you'll be spending at least 2 years of focused time with a group of individuals who have the same goals as you. College has a way of bringing people out of their shells, you'll ease into it very naturally.

This may be conjecture, but your reasoning behind your educational pursuits seem a little flimsy. You don't have to write at length about it on the skial.com tf2 gaming forum, but I feel like I should mention it. If you want to succeed not just in college, but in your career after college, you have to have a real passion for what you want. No one really explained this to me in high school, but half of success is literally just wanting to do it, if that makes sense. But of course since you're still in high school, you can't really get an understanding of what you'd want your life long passion to be. Most people never do. That's why I'd really recommend taking @Zeo up on his offer to chat with you, or anyone else you may know in those fields. You can learn alot about the degree and yourself based on your investment in those conversations. Maybe you get a cert in CS, took some bio classes, but when you get to university you want to try something completely different. That is completely fine and natural. Just be confident in your decisions and don't be afraid to explore.

If you find yourself at a loss, not really passionate about anything, literally don't do it. There is no point in going into debt for a useless degree, anchoring your life to a field you chose due to the sunk-cost fallacy. As long as you live your life with a personal passion and drive you will not be a failure, no matter what the people around you may think. College is what you make of it, and if you aren't gonna make anything of it, don't waste your time, money, and resources. But if you do decide to go, go with a passion that drives you towards personal growth.

• Dumb
Reactions: Nirnoxic

Zeo

TF2 Admin
Contributor
As a side note, if CS is an impacted major at your school(s) of choice, I'd just start with bio and then change majors later.
Feral has nothing to worry about on that end. If she gets denied when she decides to transfer to a university she can easily appeal it. If you're anything but white and appeal most colleges will accept you because they have to meet a quota for diversity.

Trillium

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Feral has nothing to worry about on that end. If she gets denied when she decides to transfer to a university she can easily appeal it. If you're anything but white and appeal most colleges will accept you because they have to meet a quota for diversity.
Have to be rich if you want to be white

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Whatever you do, follow your passion.
Both of those avenues have a future as they are what the governments are investing in.

but half of success is literally just wanting to do it
This, but change 'half' to 95%.

Reactions: sboles