Uncle F3AR

Wicked Nasty Engineer
Turning into a bot while afk was a good idea. Keeps the game going without people jerking around in spawn.

Being randomly sent to another server while afk was an awful idea.

This is getting ridiculous now as I go afk and then get randomly sent to 2fort or some other server. Just kick me after a certain period so I don't waste time connecting to a new server and then connecting back to the old one. Also, I'll still be afk in the new server, so what's the point other than to brag about how "skial servers are always full of players!"

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
It sends you to a different server and turns you into a afk bot to help seed the server (to help fill it up)

It may be annoying, but its either that or see the servers you like to play on either shut down or get changed to something else because no one was willingly seeding it, which happens fairly often.

The reason why Skial statistically has some of the most trafficked servers in TF2 is because of these changes Bottiger makes to help keep the servers afloat. If he didn't do any of this stuff Skial would end up sinking quickly along with the many other communities and player owned servers that died out when quickplay hit.

Bottiger

Administrator
Why does it matter if your computer spends 10 extra seconds loading while you are AFK?

There is literally no difference in loading times in trying to get back to your original server between getting kicked or being on a different server. In both cases it takes 2 clicks to reconnect.

And it also saves you the trouble of reconnecting in case you don't mind playing on the new server.

Uncle F3AR

Wicked Nasty Engineer
Why does it matter if your computer spends 10 extra seconds loading while you are AFK?

Because fuck people with slow internet/pcs right? Nah just let me spend 5 minutes to connect to a server I didn't want to play on. As long as our servers are occupied by bots then all is good.

RMSniper

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Because fuck people with slow internet/pcs right? Nah just let me spend 5 minutes to connect to a server I didn't want to play on. As long as our servers are occupied by bots then all is good.
Can you not just click "cancel" instead of waiting those five minutes?

EDIT: Just editing instead of spamming the thread with replies since Bottiger already tagged this as declined . . . If it's so difficult to cancel the connection, then quit tf2 by end tasking it, ending the process, or f4-ing it, then just load tf2 back up and go back to the server you were afk-ed out of. Also, if you would like to donate, I believe it gives you a longer time before you're kicked out as afk.

Bottiger

Administrator
Well there's also another really simple solution to your problem. Just disconnect if you know you are going to go afk.

Uncle F3AR

Wicked Nasty Engineer
see the servers you like to play on either shut down or get changed to something else because no one was willingly seeding it, which happens fairly often.

If a server has to have players forcible sent to it, isn't that a sign that the server is not good? You are pretty much supporting a failing server. I guarantee you that people who end up in those servers just go back to the one they were playing on.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
If a server has to have players forcible sent to it, isn't that a sign that the server is not good? You are pretty much supporting a failing server.

If a server is failing it gets changed to something else. Having AFK players seeding it can help give it a chance.

Uncle F3AR

Wicked Nasty Engineer
If a server is failing it gets changed to something else. Having AFK players seeding it can help give it a chance.

Don't try to bullshit me on the reason that AFK players get moved to these servers is to "give it a chance." The only reason they get moved there is to squeeze some more ad money off of them before the sever gets shutdown. No player will voluntarily join a server that's populated by bots and it's insane to think otherwise.

Bottiger

Administrator
Every server has seeding problems, even the one you play on all the time, turbine us, was on the verge of dying because everyone was too lazy to seed. Once it is seeded it stays full all day.

We are not going to change this because your computer is too slow for an 8 year old game.

Uncle F3AR

Wicked Nasty Engineer
We are not going to change this because your computer is too slow for an 8 year old game.

If you actually read what I wrote you would also see that it's an internet problem too. People connect from all over to play on these servers and would probably like to stay on them after spending time to connect to them. Great way to run a service though, blame the consumer, glad we got you on the case.

Bottiger

Administrator
After spending time to connect to them?

You are going to whine about taking 10 measly seconds to reconnect for what you could prevent by not going AFK when the server is full? The same 10 seconds it would take for you to reconnect if you were kicked instead?

Oh my god 10 seconds what an eternity.

stTB1XU.png

Uncle F3AR

Wicked Nasty Engineer
You really are not reading what I wrote are you. Do you think i'm the only one bitching about this? I'm talking for the people who have shitty internet connections because they're not going to come and make a fucking account on here to complain. You're trying to pin this shit on me like i'm the only one who has an issue when you can ask anyone on the server what they think and they will tell you the same thing I am.

I made my case clear, but if you want to shut your eyes and cover your ears, then so be it.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
You really are not reading what I wrote are you. Do you think i'm the only one bitching about this? I'm talking for the people who have shitty internet connections because they're not going to come and make a fucking account on here to complain. You're trying to pin this shit on me like i'm the only one who has an issue when you can ask anyone on the server what they think and they will tell you the same thing I am.

I made my case clear, but if you want to shut your eyes and cover your ears, then so be it.

Even if it does effect you in a negative way, it looks to me like the pros outweighs the cons.

It's either dead servers or slightly inconveniencing the small minority of people who have really bad internet/very dated computers.

Bottiger

Administrator
You are the one that's not reading what I wrote.

If you are going afk for 2 minutes so frequently that you (or your friend) can't even tolerate waiting 10 seconds....you can't wait 10 seconds seriously?....we don't want you wasting slots on full servers.

Due to the fact that we are the most popular community, someone is going to complain no matter what we do. And this complaint is one of those that don't make much sense. And you are running your mouth about it like what we do doesn't help keep your favorite server running and that you can do better by starting your own server.

Be my guest and go ahead and try it.