Morbuzka

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
I'm using Armhf, by the way.
I have added the repo, the sources, restarted ubuntu, just about everything, but when I try to install wine, it just says it's referred to by another package, but it can't be found or whatever, and that it has no installation candidate. I apt-cache searched wine and this:

Code:
(precise)aaron@localhost:~$ apt-cache search wine
playonlinux - front-end for Wine
gnome-colors - set of GNOME icon themes
gnome-exe-thumbnailer - Wine .exe and other executable thumbnailer for Gnome
gnome-wine-icon-theme - red variation of the GNOME-Colors icon theme
innoextract - Tool for extracting data from an Inno Setup installer
libkwineffects1abi4 - library used by effects for the KDE window manager
python-neo - Python IO library for electrophysiological data formats
q4wine - Qt4 GUI for wine (WINE)
shiki-colors - set of Metacity/GTK-2+ themes
shiki-wine-theme - red variation of the Shiki-Colors theme
tellico - Collection manager for books, videos, music, etc
tellico-data - Collection manager for books, videos, music, etc [data]
tellico-scripts - Collection manager for books, videos, music, etc [scripts]
unmass - Extract game archive files
winefish - LaTeX Editor based on Bluefish
winetricks - package manager for WINE to install software easily
wine-mono0.0.8 - Microsoft Windows compatibility layer (.NET compatibility)
(precise)aaron@localhost:~$

Are the sources just not working for me or something? This makes no sense.

Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor
I'm using Armhf, by the way.
I have added the repo, the sources, restarted ubuntu, just about everything, but when I try to install wine, it just says it's referred to by another package, but it can't be found or whatever, and that it has no installation candidate. I apt-cache searched wine and this:

Code:
(precise)aaron@localhost:~$ apt-cache search wine
playonlinux - front-end for Wine
gnome-colors - set of GNOME icon themes
gnome-exe-thumbnailer - Wine .exe and other executable thumbnailer for Gnome
gnome-wine-icon-theme - red variation of the GNOME-Colors icon theme
innoextract - Tool for extracting data from an Inno Setup installer
libkwineffects1abi4 - library used by effects for the KDE window manager
python-neo - Python IO library for electrophysiological data formats
q4wine - Qt4 GUI for wine (WINE)
shiki-colors - set of Metacity/GTK-2+ themes
shiki-wine-theme - red variation of the Shiki-Colors theme
tellico - Collection manager for books, videos, music, etc
tellico-data - Collection manager for books, videos, music, etc [data]
tellico-scripts - Collection manager for books, videos, music, etc [scripts]
unmass - Extract game archive files
winefish - LaTeX Editor based on Bluefish
winetricks - package manager for WINE to install software easily
wine-mono0.0.8 - Microsoft Windows compatibility layer (.NET compatibility)
(precise)aaron@localhost:~$

Are the sources just not working for me or something? This makes no sense.

Wine hasn't been ported to Wine for Ubuntu yet. Do you have a Raspberry Pi?

Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor
First question: Are you sure wine isn't available for ubuntu? Second: What's raspberry Pi?

As far as I know, if Wine were to be ported, it would run Windows RT programs only, but to answer the initial question, no it doesn't.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/ It's a 35$ arm PC that you can do pretty much anything with.

I would also highly recommend joining this website: http://askubuntu.com/

Glad you're trying out Ubuntu!

Morbuzka

As far as I know, if Wine were to be ported, it would run Windows RT programs only, but to answer the initial question, no it doesn't.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/ It's a 35$ arm PC that you can do pretty much anything with.

I would also highly recommend joining this website: http://askubuntu.com/

Glad you're trying out Ubuntu!

So, does Debian run on linux? And if so, can it run alongside my ChromeOS the way Ubuntu is right now? Because Debian surely has Wine, right?

Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor
So, does Debian run on linux? And if so, can it run alongside my ChromeOS the way Ubuntu is right now?

Debian is a Linux distro which Ubuntu is based off of. Simply put, if Debian didn't exist, Ubuntu wouldn't have. I would recommend sticking with Ubuntu though, as Ubuntu is a bit more user friendly and has newer packages than Debian does.

Morbuzka

Ah, it's okay. I'm not really good with it. If remote control was available for Chromebooks, I'd totally let you take over and help me. Compiling takes a LONG time too. But, once you compile it, is it already installed in Ubuntu?

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Ah, it's okay. I'm not really good with it. If remote control was available for Chromebooks, I'd totally let you take over and help me. Compiling takes a LONG time too. But, once you compile it, is it already installed in Ubuntu?

It'll probably take a long ass time to compile Wine on a chrome book. With autoconf and make it'll generate the binaries you need though (assuming you have all the devtools set up). Since it isn't officially supported you aren't going to have any packages in the repos that will do everything for you. So any updates would involve downloading the entire source and compiling again with the right flags, etc.

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
So, when I compile, that is basically the LONG way of installing?

Depends on your definition of "install". For most user (non-dev) packages you can do an "apt-get install whatever" and it downloads a package file which has pre-compiled binaries and a configuration script to copy everything into the right folders, etc.

This issue with ARM is that it's a different architecture than x86, which they already have packages for. It's best built on whatever machine you're running because there are 1,000 different ARM CPUs and they aren't going to waste time making binaries for every single one of them.

Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor
Depends on your definition of "install". For most user (non-dev) packages you can do an "apt-get install whatever" and it downloads a package file which has pre-compiled binaries and a configuration script to copy everything into the right folders, etc.

This issue with ARM is that it's a different architecture than x86, which they already have packages for. It's best built on whatever machine you're running because there are 1,000 different ARM CPUs and they aren't going to waste time making binaries for every single one of them.

You mean like the different architectures? (armel armhf)

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I think that is what he means. Because I learned somewhere that the last 2 letters don't make a difference in what CPU it 'truly' is.

The CPU is actually different in one important aspect and that's floating point calculations, especially for something like OS emulation like Wine does.

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I never understood what a floating point was...

So the gist of it is that you can only have a finite amount of precision in a CPU, so floating points are used to approximate precision. For example, say I had a precision of 5. That would mean:

1.234500001 = 1.234500002 is actually true since we're only looking 5 decimal places.

I believe the big difference between those two ARM architectures is that one actually has floating point calculations done directly on a register (hardware) on the CPU while the cheaper one is simulated in the software. So when you compile it for one, it looks for the hardware register and it won't run on the one that doesn't actually have it.