Doctor Who

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Went on, asked for someone named The Shrubbery, guy said he hasn't seen anyone on by that name recently, Black Sheep wasn't on either, and he didn't really do anything against the rules.

The Shrubbery

Mildly Menacing Medic
Went on, asked for someone named The Shrubbery, guy said he hasn't seen anyone on by that name recently, Black Sheep wasn't on either, and he didn't really do anything against the rules.

Well it's in his chat log so visiting the server wouldn't have been necessary.

Just to clarify for future reference then, "fag" and "faggot" is permitted language?

Doctor Who

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Well it's in his chat log so visiting the server wouldn't have been necessary.

Just to clarify then, "fag" and "faggot" is permitted language?
Well unless he was actually insulting someone for their orientation, then no, not really. I don't necessarily agree with it, but it's the rules.

The Shrubbery

Mildly Menacing Medic
Well unless he was actually insulting someone for their orientation, then no, not really. I don't necessarily agree with it, but it's the rules.

Ok, although that's a bit like saying that it's ok to use the N-word, just as long as the person you're saying it to isn't Black.

Thanks anyway.

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Ok, although that's a bit like saying that it's ok to use the N-word, just as long as the person you're saying it to isn't Black.

Thanks anyway.
Not really, there has to be a line somewhere, or we would be banning for people calling others noobs as this is in itself a discriminatory term.
Just to clarify: The term 'fag' or 'faggot' is not solely used as an offensive word to those of the homosexual persuasion, the word Nigger has a specific meaning.

JarlyX

Epic Skial Regular
Not really, there has to be a line somewhere, or we would be banning for people calling others noobs as this is in itself a discriminatory term.
Just to clarify: The term 'fag' or 'faggot' is not solely used as an offensive word to those of the homosexual persuasion, the word Nigger has a specific meaning.

upKN6.gif

Reactions: Maddo

Perseus Dash Jackson

Epic Skial Regular

This is wrong. Stop being wrong.

Perseus Dash Jackson

Epic Skial Regular

You could argue with the dictionary, or you could argue using common sense, and you could argue by going out into the street and seeing how often the word "nigger" is used, or you could argue using the most common usage of the word "faggot".

Or, you know, you could argue using a semi-protected wikipedia page:

Nigger is a noun in the English language, most notable for its usage in a pejorative context to refer to black people, and also as an informal slang term, among other contexts

Perhaps the spamming of the term "faggot" should be awarded a slightly greater punishment, because the two terms we're talking about are just as often used informally as they are to mean the derogatory term.

The Shrubbery

Mildly Menacing Medic

Rules aside, since they are what they are:

You've made a common mistake here. Dictionaries do not define language, language defines dictionaries, which always lag far behind constantly evolving, contemporary vernacular. If the word "nigger" is commonly used as anything other than an insult, which it is, then dictionaries will change to reflect this; in the same way as they changed when nigger ceased to be considered a neutral term for a Black person.

Far from having only one meaning or use, "nigger" has many. It's been "reclaimed" and is now often heard being used as a term of affection between Blacks, or simply as a replacement for the word "guy" or "person".

"How are you my nigger?"
"What's that nigger up to, he's crazy?"
"You can trust him, that nigger is good"

Even young Whites are beginning to use the term in a friendly way, reference to each other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigger - this is more up to date than decades old dictionary.

Why then, should "nigger" be punished more harshly than "faggot", when each word has uses outside of being a pejorative term? Are the feelings of LGBT players less important than those of minority ethnic players?

Reactions: Doctor Who

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
The word faggot is allowed on the servers, the word nigger is not. spamming is not allowed on the servers in any form.
If you feel any of this is wrong, I propose you go to the suggestions section and start a new thread with your concerns.

The Shrubbery

Mildly Menacing Medic
The word faggot is allowed on the servers, the word nigger is not. spamming is not allowed on the servers in any form.
If you feel any of this is wrong, I propose you go to the suggestions section and start a new thread with your concerns.

As I said, I have no argument with the rules. Was just pointing out the glaring inconsistency.

N.P.P Styx

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
While I agree about the whole Nigger/Faggot conundrum you've all got going on, I was pretty sure we had a spamming and harassment rule anyway.

[TC]CreepingDeath

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
What about "Was up, my kind black man friend?" I saw that in another server.
I don't like it and if it gets repeated it's obvious racism. If it's said once in jest... Eh. I still don't like it but eh.
While I agree about the whole Nigger/Faggot conundrum you've all got going on, I was pretty sure we had a spamming and harassment rule anyway.
Yes, we do have a spamming rule.