Kyle

Australian Skial God
Contributor
New excuse for aimbotters: "I playing with a Steam controller. Of course my movement was jerky."

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I'm still iffy on this on FPS games. I have trouble believing a controller will be better than mouse & keyboard. But for just about any game I'd use a controller, I like the look of this one. Maybe these blatant console ports wont be such kicks in the balls.

Drum

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Mapper
It depends on the game. But mouse + keyboard > controller.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
It doesn't really seem to beat a keyboard and mouse but it does seem like a step in the right direction in my opinion

Drum

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Mapper
I'm just trying to imagine what games I own that a controller would be good for.
Good defined as I would rather use a controller than mouse + keyboard.

Dota 2 - lol nope
Counter-Strike: Source - maybe
Terraria - nope
Super Meat Boy - NOPE
Prison Architect - nope
Arma / DayZ - nope
SimCity / Cities XL - nope
Team Fortress 2 - lolnope

Antichamber - yes
Bastion - probably
Braid - maybe
The Walking Dead - yes (could play that with just about anything)
Chivalry- Modern Warfare: yes
Metro Series - yes
And obviously any xbox / ps3 game on pc - yes

Most of the games that I normally play wouldn't work with it, so for me, it wouldn't be worth it.
Plus, mouse precision > controller precision.

mohawkg2

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I'm just trying to imagine what games I own that a controller would be good for.
Good defined as I would rather use a controller than mouse + keyboard.

Dota 2 - lol nope
Counter-Strike: Source - maybe
Terraria - nope
Super Meat Boy - NOPE
Prison Architect - nope
Arma / DayZ - nope
SimCity / Cities XL - nope
Team Fortress 2 - lolnope

Antichamber - yes
Bastion - probably
Braid - maybe
The Walking Dead - yes (could play that with just about anything)
Chivalry- Modern Warfare: yes
Metro Series - yes
And obviously any xbox / ps3 game on pc - yes

Most of the games that I normally play wouldn't work with it, so for me, it wouldn't be worth it.
Plus, mouse precision > controller precision.

Why not Prison Architect?

Dave the Manly

Australian Skial God
Contributor
One of the biggest features showcased in the video are how much more precise you can be with the Steam controller than you would be with other controllers.
I'm pretty sure Valve took precision into account when they decided to start funding development for this, and that they're aiming for it to be useful enough to rival the mouse and keyboard.
They may be hat-happy, but they're not stupid.

Deadfront

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
One of the biggest features showcased in the video are how much more precise you can be with the Steam controller than you would be with other controllers.
I'm pretty sure Valve took precision into account when they decided to start funding development for this, and that they're aiming for it to be useful enough to rival the mouse and keyboard.

Im not saying it wont be a winning idea or I eventually could love the thing just being skeptical at the moment.

Drum

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Mapper

> aiming

Until it comes out and proves to be as accurate or close, I will assume that it simply won't be. I find it hard to believe otherwise.

Why not Prison Architect?
First, I thought you were Void, confused the heck out ofme.

Why would you want to play Prison Architect with a controller? That sounds annoying as fuck, since there are so many items and operations that you can do that are quick and concise with the mouse.

TEhMAn92

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
While something like camera movement is acceptable, i still say using the touchpad as a dpad is and always has been a bad idea

Sir Gooch P Tigglington

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
I'm still iffy on this on FPS games. I have trouble believing a controller will be better than mouse & keyboard. But for just about any game I'd use a controller, I like the look of this one. Maybe these blatant console ports wont be such kicks in the balls.

I use a wired Xbox controller for those Steam games that are better suited for it.

sov

Legendary Skial King
Steam controller will still lack what key board and mouse does.

I have to say it will be an improvement to the analog stick controller in sense of aiming and binding, etc.

sov

Legendary Skial King
At least we'll have a lot more cannon food on TF2 when new players join with a Steam Machine!
hah! Little plebs with their consoles thinking they are going to be UGC Platinum material because they play Battlefield and Call of Duty.

Steam machine does look pretty neat though and so does the Steam controller.

Pengy

Legendary Skial King
I wanna believe it will be good so I can have couch gaming and PC gaming, but I really don't know at this point. Could go either way for me, I honestly will have to try it. Does it have an official release date yet, or just a beta release date?