Zombie(NL)

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
Avast has a new update, and this will mess up steam.
If you run steam after installing the new update from avast,
steam starts updating, reach 100% and then you get the error:

ERROR: Could not open file vstdlib_s.dll

and steam will shut down. what happens is that avast give a false positive on the file,
and move it to the vault. if you look in the vault you see "Win32:Malware-gen"

I am not the only one with this problem. look on the Steam Forum for more info.
Until avast fix this, i excluded the steam folder from the real-time shield.

DaivdBaekr

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Added the exclusion but Avast actually deleted my vstdlib_s.dll file, and cramming a fresh copy of it in the same spot doesn't seem to be working.

Am I actually going to need to reinstall Steam because of this or is there a workaround?

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Added the exclusion but Avast actually deleted my vstdlib_s.dll file, and cramming a fresh copy of it in the same spot doesn't seem to be working.

Am I actually going to need to reinstall Steam because of this or is there a workaround?
Does it not say what to do on the steam thread zombie linked?

DaivdBaekr

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Does it not say what to do on the steam thread zombie linked?

It says how to exclude the Steam folder, but it doesn't detail anything about Avast deleting the file.

I'll try rebooting Steam and see if that gets everything working again, but at this point I'm just taking shots in the dark to avoid re-installation.

Edit: Restarting Steam fixed it.

Reactions: Isil

Zombie(NL)

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor

and steam will shut down. what happens is that avast give a false positive on the file,
and move it to the vault. if you look in the vault you see "Win32:Malware-gen"
After you excluded the steam folder in avast, you can start steam again,
then steam wil update again, (downloading the .dll again), and everything is ok again.