Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Put simply I'm using a old gaming laptop (I always prefer desktops but this was completely free and blew my shitty desktop out of the water) and wanted to get a opinion on whether or not I'm reaching some dangerous temperatures for a gaming laptop

My processor can take a maximum of 185F, or 85C before my system is automatically shut down to avoid any serious damage.

While playing Guild Wars (I can't exactly run the game well, so I'm really pushing my laptop) it doesn't seem to go further than 165F, or 74C. That isn't the idle temperature, it's the maximum temperature my processor reaches during a normal session of game play. Every now and then it can spike all the way up to 170F / 76C but that's the highest I've ever seen it go, and that being a rare occurrence.

My question is, for a gaming laptop is that reaching some dangerous temperatures? I know for desktops that would be hardware destroying but I've heard laptop hardware is designed to take a lot more heat so I have no idea.

According to core temp that apparently isn't even considered 'hot' but I don't feel comfortable taking a program's word for it.

Edit -

If the information is needed, my processor is Intel Core 2 duo T5450 1.66-1.7 GHz

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
74C isn't really that bad, intel max is typically 100C, at which point the system would shut itself down.

Crimmy

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I've actually got a burn mark on my left leg from where my lap top slowly over heated during the course of a ugc match. And I didn't notice it till I went to move my lap top.
Mine still runs like a charm though, so not really sure what to tell you.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I've actually got a burn mark on my left leg from where my lap top slowly over heated during the course of a ugc match. And I didn't notice it till I went to move my lap top.
Mine still runs like a charm though, so not really sure what to tell you.

Ouch. I can't rest my hand on my laptop for that long because the thing can get hot enough to burn me

Oaky answered my question so I'll mark this as resolved, thanks Oaky