Morbuzka

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
Are Alienware laptops overpriced, underpriced or well priced? Do you like them? I'm thinking of getting a laptop alienware.

hXcjedders

Australian Skial God
Overpriced. You're paying probably an extra 100 dollars for the name. Not saying they're bad laptops though. Asus is probably better for price, dell even more so. I personally have a Lenovo, which has been good to me so far. It's not a performance machine, but it can run anything out there with ease.

Edit:In addition to the name, usually Alienware's parts are as close to 100% top of the line for the tier you choose, so you pay a premium for that too.

Morbuzka

Overpriced. You're paying probably an extra 100 dollars for the name. Not saying they're bad laptops though. Asus is probably better for price, dell even more so. I personally have a Lenovo, which has been good to me so far. It's not a performance machine, but it can run anything out there with ease.
The x51 desktop, however, is only $699 plus tax... around $70 dollars extra... so $769, as low as $21 dollars a month... I think it's a good price for the x51...

hXcjedders

Australian Skial God
The x51 desktop, however, is only $699 plus tax... around $70 dollars extra... so $769, as low as $21 dollars a month... I think it's a good price for the x51...

Up to 3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3770 processors and 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 555 as available upgrades

I took that from the Dell Alienware site, which is most likely where you saw this. But the above is a HUGE factor in price. You will most likely get a basic chip/video card and then have optional upgrades. You will not get the top i7 and GeForce card for 700

Morbuzka

Up to 3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3770 processors and 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 555 as available upgrades

I took that from the Dell Alienware site, which is most likely where you saw this. But the above is a HUGE factor in price. You will most likely get a basic chip/video card and then have optional upgrades. You will not get the top i7 and GeForce card for 700
Arghhhh. Somebody help me, I just want to get a new, good priced computer the can run TF2 above 50 fps for five fucking seconds without going to the corner of the map and looking at a wall. I just want one with a graphics card to run MW3, or Battlefield 3, or Just Cause 2... ffs

vintageWasabi

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
You should just build your own PC, it would be a lot cheaper than buying a alienware. With Alienware you are mainly just paying for the name. In my opinion laptops are not made for gaming.They get hot pretty fast, prone to overheat, and you cant really upgrade like you can a desktop. And if you want fancy lights just buy LED lights and a light up keyboard/mouse.

ProbeX

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I built my PC, it's completely customized the only thing stock on it, is that case.

Steak

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
Are Alienware laptops overpriced, underpriced or well priced? Do you like them? I'm thinking of getting a laptop alienware.
alienware machines are just overpriced dells. 90% of the price on an alienware is the name

hXcjedders

Australian Skial God
http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/268738 - $800 at purchase in Feb.

Just posting my laptop for reference.

If you're into serious performance for gaming, this.

You should just build your own PC, it would be a lot cheaper than buying a alienware. With Alienware you are mainly just paying for the name. In my opinion laptops are not made for gaming.They get hot pretty fast, prone to overheat, and you cant really upgrade like you can a desktop. And if you want fancy lights just buy LED lights and a light up keyboard/mouse.

If you must have a laptop, be prepared to pay a pretty penny for something that can perform.

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
There are better choices out there, the best choice would be to build your own. It'll probably run much better than an Alienware, and you'll have more money in your pocket in the long run.

hXcjedders

Australian Skial God
only bad thing is everything in there is kind of locked into the system because it takes for ever to drain the components off and for any decent gaming rig you would hit the thermal ceiling of the oil and the machine would just shut down
But they just look so cool!

Dono Spacey

Face-Melting F2Per
Alienware version of my current set up 2k, price i payed to make it, 800$

Alienware is all brandname. Better off looking at the computer you want, ordering those parts and making it yourself

Edit: Single most expensive part of my computer? Win7