-Marinol-

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
Hello all,

I would first like to take the time to apologize for my seemingly random topic in a video game community. This will make much more sense in a matter of minutes. To start it out in earnest, I would like to place a question. If you could, would you attempt to be your VG avatar? Be it a knight in an MMORPG or a Pyro setting aflame the back lines of a random payload server, would you be them? This may be closer than it seems.

There have been multiple advances in medical/pharmaceutical industry that are leading toward this very end. There are designs for auditory and verbal recognition implants that would replace Bluetooth headsets, an attempt at a sub-dermal smartphone with touch interface still intact, RFID chips, piezoelectric and glucose-based fuel cells, and increasing research into neural implanting. Alone, these seem to be a bit separated, but things are beginning to come into focus.

The combination of all of these would need to be brought together at first by a relevant AR visual solution. The Google Glasses are progressing along, but what eventually will have to happen are either Nanoelectric AR contacts, or direct optical nerve input. These latter two options will most likely happen sometime in the next 10 years. That will bring us up to a point where the possibilities are quite real for total immersion.

The practical and military applications of this technology will progress as the primary goal, but so too will the consumer’s want to have this around the home. The short movie called ‘Sight’ on youtube ( Link here ), is one optimistic (or pessimistic, if you take the good with the bad) view of where this might evolve too. It is the topic of science fiction for a long time, but now, it seems within grasp.
With that picture in mind, along with the thought of actually putting yourself psychologically in the mindset of that character you’re playing, would you go along with such an evolution?

Crimmy

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Sooo, what you're saying is soon I can put things in my body that may or may not give outside sources influence into the way I think, and what I do under the guise of having fun? Sign me up!

-Marinol-

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
What violet said is pretty on the point, the augmenting of a person with tech allows for something that is easier than biology to exploit. From tracking to hacking, it is one of the most persistent downsides. The other downside would be the body fighting back against this junk going into us, ALA Deus Ex. The industry isn't about healing you, its about keeping you as a constant customer. They'd just as likely manufacture then with obsolescence issues, like degradation of nerve bases or outright rejection syndrome based immune deficiency.