RenZ

Face-Melting F2Per
Contributor
Very true except for when the game is free to play (TF2) and where Skial has strict policies against hackers getting second chances and ban evasions on alt accounts.

-----

As much as I don't like upper's approach, I see his point. The guide, albeit informative, encourages fresh starts (just ban dodging and frowned upon in this community). If you're a staff member of a community, you can't have guides under the pretext of "social aid" that directly violate the rules of the community, no matter your personal beliefs regarding the subject (and I, for one, believe in second chances too).

That being said, I don't believe this says anything negative about you as an individual or potential admin applicant. I'm willing to believe you won't actively help people dodge (i.e. explain how to IP change), but if it were up to me I'd say any activity such as this guide has to go. This obviously doesn't include helping people with VAC, just not the circumvention part specifically.

On another note, I've seen you on trade twice, with Nicholas present. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I got the vibe that you were quite argumentative and thin skinned (you were having a childish fight with a person back then about tryharding or something of the sort IIRC and were really taking the bait). You also got worked up after reading upper's feedback. Being an admin involves dealing with trolls, assholes, people who are there just to fuck with you, people who go look for you on the server to kill you and taunt... if you have thin skin this won't work.
That being said, I can see the effort you're making with reports (just dont force them just for the sake of making your app look good). Reporting should be a genuine effort to keep the community clean not a milestone to be able to reapply). I also noticed your attempts to be helpful in the community and I can respect that. I don't doubt you're a good person overall.

I will be holding my feedback until I see your response.
I'm not going to lie, I've gotten mad at some people in my past but I've seriously changed ever since.

I think that second point about getting worked up is falling victim to the fact you can't exactly tell the tone of people on the web. I am going to assume you meant my recently posted one. After upper posted it, i wanted to explain my reasoning for it, i was not having any feeling of being worked up making that post.

If i ever become an admin, I may remove that section from the guide so I don't give anyone any ideas.

I don't believe you on the thin skinned though, I don't have a spark of ire as much as I did 4 years ago. I'm not sure if you been on as of recent but I am not getting pulled in by trolls of any sort even though there hasn't been many.

Reactions: Toxik

RenZ

Face-Melting F2Per
Contributor
Surely, if steam wanted to perm ban players instead of accounts, they would implement ip bans like Skial does. But their corporate money grabbing ideology means that they are quite happy for people to make a new account and rebuy a game they are banned from. Seriously, how many people are going to go through the rigmarole of a fresh install and rebuy a game, just to cheat again and be VAC banned again within 2 minutes.
It wouldn't work, you can just reset your router, it creates another IP.

Also if you were to play within a public space where someone got banned on the same IP, it would ban someone who didn't cheat at all.

TapTap

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
The only time I saw you on a server you were taking the bait of a troll and making a fuss on voice.
If i ever become an admin, I may remove that section from the guide so I don't give anyone any ideas.
Too many hypotheticals for my liking. There's an obvious action to me, which I expected you to do before then.

you can just reset your router, it creates another IP.
sigh

I really wanted to support you, sorry.

edit: if it wasn't clear, stop discussing ban evading anywhere. I thought you'd get the hint the first time.

Last edited:

uppe-r

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
Contributor
It wouldn't work, you can just reset your router, it creates another IP.

Also if you were to play within a public space where someone got banned on the same IP, it would ban someone who didn't cheat at all.
Not all ISPs create new IPs when you reset your router. It depends if your ISP gives static or dynamic IPs.

Secondly, what you're saying does happen, I've seen appeals of people who played on like schools and stuff and got perma banned cause someone had been perma'd there.

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Very true except for when the game is free to play (TF2) and where Skial has strict policies against hackers getting second chances and ban evasions on alt accounts
Surely you would need to make a new account, delete the existing game files and reinstall the game? A server ban that didn't use ip bans would be a simpler process I assume. I dunno though, never had a vac, I don't know whether it just tags your account steam side or places a code in your game files.

And -1 btw, just because applicant didn't remove the offending info from their guide, saying something along the lines of "I see peoples point on the subject". They would rather argue about it and dig themselves into a hole.

Reactions: TapTap

RenZ

Face-Melting F2Per
Contributor
Surely you would need to make a new account, delete the existing game files and reinstall the game? A server ban that didn't use ip bans would be a simpler process I assume. I dunno though, never had a vac, I don't know whether it just tags your account steam side or places a code in your game files.

And -1 btw, just because applicant didn't remove the offending info from their guide, saying something along the lines of "I see peoples point on the subject". They would rather argue about it and dig themselves into a hole.
It has been removed, I was buay so i couldn't earlier.

As for why we can't have IP bans:
https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/10/1850323802565636751/#c1850323802565857244

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/9/1474221865188949283/#c1474221865188962887
I'm done arguing about IP bans, if yall want to talk about IP bans, ill be happy to discuss this in another forum.

Last edited:

RenZ

Face-Melting F2Per
Contributor
I know I was responding to someone complaining about me using jetpack, don't remember if I used any voice chat however.

Oh and I'm going to state this, I feel like someone here felt that they got their criticism ignored, I didn't intend for this entire admin application to become another thread on a random thing like my previous application, so I'm sorry if I missed your criticisms.

I only showed up to investigate a report. Nothing more, nothing less.
Thank you for doing your job, we appreciate it.

Last edited:

Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
I wasn't keen on the section of your VAC info guide, particularly how to dodge VAC. But that is not why I'm declining this.

You say you're not thin-skinned, but based on the time-stamp in the chatlog provided by Tap, and your actions here, I strongly disbelieve your statement.

You've continued to be defensive for your actions and promote "common decency > hatred" (?). Informing others what the VAC status means is fine, but actively telling people how to get around VAC, and now around Skial's IP bans (Which is technically against Skial Forum rules) isn't going to fly.

We don't tolerate cheaters. We don't need admins teaching players how to skirt our system.

RenZ

Face-Melting F2Per
Contributor
I wasn't keen on the section of your VAC info guide, particularly how to dodge VAC. But that is not why I'm declining this.

You say you're not thin-skinned, but based on the time-stamp in the chatlog provided by Tap, and your actions here, I strongly disbelieve your statement.

You've continued to be defensive for your actions and promote "common decency > hatred" (?). Informing others what the VAC status means is fine, but actively telling people how to get around VAC, and now around Skial's IP bans (Which is technically against Skial Forum rules) isn't going to fly.

We don't tolerate cheaters. We don't need admins teaching players how to skirt our system.
I see... Well, I understand where you're coming from and why you would say this, despite not having any intent on wanting to be soft on cheaters and telling them how to circumvent bans, I will not argue against your point.

have a good day.