The Best Bast

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Hello everyone, I hope my title isn't too confusing, but I'll explain.

I have noticed several reports for the use of the homophobic f-word, be it in three or six letters. Since the console can, as it's possible with the use of the n-slur, wouldn't it be convenient to add these two words to the list of banned words, to have its users silenced for 120 minutes for homophobia (and have the length of their punishment adapted by an admin depending on previous offenses if necessary) ? I'm suggesting this because it seems empirically that the use of this word is always an offense, no matter the context, and is always leading to a silence in the end.

In case an admin isn't on the server during the offense, that would prevent slur-using flamers from going into rants with escalating toxicity and being more and more vocal and / or annoying before being reported and silenced, reducing the risk of creating an atmosphere that would make other players leave. That would also be easier to deal with, be it for players willing to report rule-breakers or for admins having fewer reports to check.

Just an idea that crossed my mind. I hope it's doable and / or interesting, else, sorry for the bother.

VentureDev

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
I always have mental breakdowns whenever a stranger calls me a retard on TF2. Imagine how much worse it could be if someone said I was a laserfag.

Reactions: 1a1

Pot Head Wabbit

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
But. It's. Not. A. Slur. It's a term used in a context that isn't intended to insult or belittle homosexuals. You are the one choosing to be offended by it, and I guarantee you are the only one complaining about it. Seriously, touch grass dude. It's honestly pathetic.
Still -1 to the suggestion. Grow some balls pussies. There's a mute button for a reason, and there are more pressing issues to worry about in the real world than mean words a stranger said over the internet.
This you?

Senor_Taco

Contributor
+1 (with caveats)
It's just extra work for the mods and people that report usage of the f-slur. Might as well just automate it, especially if some admins just automatically punish anyone that uses it regardless of context.

But at the same time, it might not be a good idea to automute people for it on the ZE servers.

I don't know if I buy the idea that the ZE community should find another word for laserfag. It mostly seems like people just have bad vibes when people say the f-slur even when it's removed from homophobic contexts, and that's why they suggest alternatives: not because there's necesarily a huge issue with it in the ZE context, but because they think it's better to not risk saying the f-slur. And that bad vibes doesn't seem like a good reason to justify this change. For example:

Did you even read my argument or just strawman it? I clearly said context matters, 95% of the usage of the word occurs in a derogatory sense, if the solution to banning that word is a few toxic ze players also get banned for saying it because they insist on having a catchphrase with a slur in it then so be it.
Is laserfag not a case of the context mattering? Laserfag is still derogatory but certainly not in a homophobic way. It associates queerness with being bad, but in a pretty benign way, so it feels too separate from the original homophobic context. So why isn't this context okay but other contexts are? It just seems like the vibes are off when people say stuff like this.

But even if we agreed that people shouldn't say laserfag anymore, there would be a lot of headaches that could come with automating the mute. One issue would be people from other ZE servers joining, saying laserfag, and then getting muted automatically and never coming back. Sure, it may be their responsibility to read the rules before playing, but let's be realistic here. Even if the few ZE players that saw the suggestion in this thread to use words besides laserfag, it probably won't catch on when the maps remain unaltered and players from other servers keep saying it.

I really wish I didn't have to side with the freeze peach babies in this thead, but I don't see a compelling argument as to why laserfag is still a slur, and it seems like there's too many issues that would come with applying this change to ZE servers.

• Dumb
Reactions: 1a1

Pot Head Wabbit

But even if we agreed that people shouldn't say laserfag anymore, there would be a lot of headaches that could come with automating the mute. One issue would be people from other ZE servers joining, saying laserfag, and then getting muted automatically and never coming back. Sure, it may be their responsibility to read the rules before playing, but let's be realistic here. Even if the few ZE players that saw the suggestion in this thread to use words besides laserfag, it probably won't catch on when the maps remain unaltered and players from other servers keep saying it.

No one is even saying "laserfag" anymore even pre filter little would change with the filter except for people who insist on using it because its a funny slur.

Senor_Taco

Contributor
No one is even saying "laserfag" anymore even pre filter little would change with the filter except for people who insist on using it because its a funny slur.

Then report them for using it with the intent of it being a slur.

It seems like you think anyone that says laserfag just wants the chance to say the f-slur and get away with it. So are there appropriate contexts for saying fag or are there not?

In addition, that doesn't really address the problem of laserfag becoming more prominent again, especially when it's already so entrenched in the maps and community. People probably don't use it much because you and others report them whenever they say it. So what happens if people start saying it again and there's nobody to report them? Just because people don't say laserfag much now doesn't mean that people will never say it again, especially when it's a thing in the ZE community.

I still support the idea of automating mutes for use of the f-slur, so I might suggest implementing the automute for all servers and maybe reconsidering it just for the ZE servers in a few months. But a lot of people muted for saying laserfag without a shred of homophobia probably won't stick around Skial. Maybe a warning when you say laserfag specifically would be more sensible so that new players are aware they can't say it on the servers, but aren't punished immediately. But that sounds way more complicated than adding the f-slur to the automute word list.

Last edited:

Seminal Inhalation

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
It's because of three forum trolls -1ing a forum because they wouldn't be allowed to get away with hurling slurs at random players anymore and that makes them angry.

Could also probably be because it would not be as effective as the auto-filter for the nword considering a decent number of homophobic people use a wider variety of terms other than just those 2 slurs. Examples:

Bottiger's 24/7 Idle Trade10/29/2023 - 12:49:29 PM🔗TheWhiteGibusif your gay your mentally ill the goverment has corrupted your brain

https://www.skial.com/threads/johnsonfondon-homophobic.111586/

DEATH RUN | US ████10/17/2023 - 07:29:47 PM🔗TricksterTF2 is half trans people, half transphobic people, half furries, all gay

Bottiger's 24/7 Idle Trade10/16/2023 - 12:56:59 PM🔗juancochonbalboa2013YOU ARE HAPPY NOW FUCKING STUPID FURRY GAY HACKER
Bottiger's 24/7 Idle Trade10/16/2023 - 12:53:38 PM🔗juancochonbalboa2013PLEASE KICK THE FUCKING FURRY STUPID GAY MAGOT SANDWICH IS SO HACKER AND STUPID
Bottiger's 24/7 Idle Trade10/16/2023 - 12:53:03 PM🔗juancochonbalboa2013STUPID FURRY GAYS HEAVYS
Bottiger's 24/7 Idle Trade10/16/2023 - 12:52:37 PM🔗juancochonbalboa2013STOP FUCKING FURRY STUPID GAY FAT SANDWICH MAGOT

Bottiger's 24/7 Idle Trade10/20/2023 - 03:55:50 PM🔗Mr.Redddude stfu u dumb fucking queer dweeb goddamn ffs

Autoblocking Fag and Faggot will simply make these people jump to other terms, like "Gay, Queer, Homo". Then what? Someone going to suggest that these 3 words also be autofiltered? That would just do more harm than good.

Aeon

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
+1
Also there are lists of slurs collections on github/gitlab and other sites that can be used, you can probably use something to match it like regex before it hits the message queue and not let the message go through at all instead of banning/muting, it'd make it impossible to say any slurs on skial servers.

Pot Head Wabbit

Could also probably be because it would not be as effective as the auto-filter for the nword considering a decent number of homophobic people use a wider variety of terms other than just those 2 slurs. Examples:

Bottiger's 24/7 Idle Trade10/29/2023 - 12:49:29 PM🔗TheWhiteGibusif your gay your mentally ill the goverment has corrupted your brain

DEATH RUN | US ████10/17/2023 - 07:29:47 PM🔗TricksterTF2 is half trans people, half transphobic people, half furries, all gay

Bottiger's 24/7 Idle Trade10/16/2023 - 12:56:59 PM🔗juancochonbalboa2013YOU ARE HAPPY NOW FUCKING STUPID FURRY GAY HACKER
Bottiger's 24/7 Idle Trade10/16/2023 - 12:53:38 PM🔗juancochonbalboa2013PLEASE KICK THE FUCKING FURRY STUPID GAY MAGOT SANDWICH IS SO HACKER AND STUPID
Bottiger's 24/7 Idle Trade10/16/2023 - 12:53:03 PM🔗juancochonbalboa2013STUPID FURRY GAYS HEAVYS
Bottiger's 24/7 Idle Trade10/16/2023 - 12:52:37 PM🔗juancochonbalboa2013STOP FUCKING FURRY STUPID GAY FAT SANDWICH MAGOT

Bottiger's 24/7 Idle Trade10/20/2023 - 03:55:50 PM🔗Mr.Redddude stfu u dumb fucking queer dweeb goddamn ffs

Autoblocking Fag and Faggot will simply make these people jump to other terms, like "Gay, Queer, Homo". Then what? Someone going to suggest that these 3 words also be autofiltered? That would just do more harm than good.
If people are going to jump through filters to insult people, they were going to do it filter or not, in those cases it'll probably be on a case-by-case basis whether or not an admin agrees with the usage of the word and bans them, not having auto filters "because people would just bypass them" is dumb logic because people already bypass the nword filter all the time, doesn't make it any less of a ban when someone makes a forum post exposing it.

• Dumb
Reactions: 1a1 and VentureDev

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
If people are going to jump through filters to insult people, they were going to do it filter or not, in those cases it'll probably be on a case-by-case basis whether or not an admin agrees with the usage of the word and bans them, not having auto filters "because people would just bypass them" is dumb logic because people already bypass the nword filter all the time, doesn't make it any less of a ban when someone makes a forum post exposing it.
So should all those people that Seminal posted using 'gay' in a derogatory/negative manner be banned, or at least reported?

Senor_Taco

Contributor
If people will still manually report and ban people for using other words to be homophobic, then why do you support laserfag being filtered?

...99-100% of the use of the word "fag" is often in a derogatory/insulting way. Theres really no reason to make a exception for ze players when even they aren't doing it anymore.

There are plenty of other words that people also use to be homophobic like Seminal mentioned. If a word like homo shouldn't be wordfiltered because "99-100%" of players use it like a slur (more likely if the f-slur automute gets introduced), then why should laserfag be wordfiltered? Why can't people just continue to report people saying laserfag if it's being used in a homophobic way, just like the other words?

If saying laserfag gets someone automuted, people will continue to be homophobic using other words while new ZE players will be less likely to play on Skial. Laserfag will probably pop up again, no matter how hard you try to backseat moderate through reports just on people saying it. Maybe you should apply to be a mod if you feel so strongly about it.

I think we can at least all agree that it'd be best to add an automute for use of the f-slur by itself, even if it would still cause problems like Seminal said. It would at least stop a lot of people from saying nasty stuff as soon as they try to say it in text chat. I don't see Skial losing good players by doing this, unlike with wordfiltering laserfag, which is clearly a can of worms regardless of our opinions on it.

1a1

Unremarkable User

Who would've guessed wabbit is a lying fucking hypocrite lmao. -1 to this retarded suggestion