The Best Bast

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Hello everyone, I hope my title isn't too confusing, but I'll explain.

I have noticed several reports for the use of the homophobic f-word, be it in three or six letters. Since the console can, as it's possible with the use of the n-slur, wouldn't it be convenient to add these two words to the list of banned words, to have its users silenced for 120 minutes for homophobia (and have the length of their punishment adapted by an admin depending on previous offenses if necessary) ? I'm suggesting this because it seems empirically that the use of this word is always an offense, no matter the context, and is always leading to a silence in the end.

In case an admin isn't on the server during the offense, that would prevent slur-using flamers from going into rants with escalating toxicity and being more and more vocal and / or annoying before being reported and silenced, reducing the risk of creating an atmosphere that would make other players leave. That would also be easier to deal with, be it for players willing to report rule-breakers or for admins having fewer reports to check.

Just an idea that crossed my mind. I hope it's doable and / or interesting, else, sorry for the bother.

Crust

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Would be really helpful, and also lower the amount of reports needed on this stuff.

• Dumb
Reactions: 1a1

Ixel

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
Contributor
While there's good intent by this suggestion, I'm not sure if it would really lower the number of reports a great deal as I imagine you should still be reporting incidents like this so that an admin can adjust the player's mute time from 2 hours (or an equivalent) to something that would normally be applied if manually done by an admin, such as 1 day or more. Same with the racial slur that auto mutes a player that said it.

As mentioned before I think, it would also need to avoid affecting game specific terminology which as I understand it is acceptable, specifically for example "laserfag".

Pot Head Wabbit

While there's good intent by this suggestion, I'm not sure if it would really lower the number of reports a great deal as I imagine you should still be reporting incidents like this so that an admin can adjust the player's mute time from 2 hours (or an equivalent) to something that would normally be applied if manually done by an admin, such as 1 day or more. Same with the racial slur that auto mutes a player that said it.

As mentioned before I think, it would also need to avoid affecting game specific terminology which as I understand it is acceptable, specifically for example "laserfag".
I'm going to be honest if you don't get the message after being muted multiple times for saying "laserfag" you probably deserve said mutes, it's really not that hard to not refer to someone with a slur for using a specific weapon. And in regard to mutes longer bans are usually only given if someone goes out of their way to report it and often times they don't because either they don't care or have in game chat turned off so text chat insults that would normally go completely unreported will now leave a record trail showing how much said person uses said slurs, just like when admins ban for longer if the user has a ton of automutes for racism.

• Dumb
Reactions: 1a1 and Sir Trooper

Seminal Inhalation

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
If an auto-filter can't be applied for this, might I suggest that at the very least add homophobia, transphobia or discrimination to votereports and votemutes? I've seen players refuse to votereport or votemute people because there wasn't a reason for these offenses available and feared being muted by admins for voteabuse. A few reports have also marked "need evidence" because the report reason was for something other than "homophobia/discrimination" and admins end up missing the logs.

Pot Head Wabbit

If an auto-filter can't be applied for this, might I suggest that at the very least add homophobia, transphobia or discrimination to votereports and votemutes? I've seen players refuse to votereport or votemute people because there wasn't a reason for these offenses available and feared being muted by admins for voteabuse. A few reports have also marked "need evidence" because the report reason was for something other than "homophobia/discrimination" and admins end up missing the logs.
Most players don't even use the word "laserfag" in ze anymore, just looking at chat logs there hasn't been a single use of the word in the past week at all, 99-100% of the use of the word "fag" is often in a derogatory/insulting way. Theres really no reason to make a exception for ze players when even they aren't doing it anymore.

• Dumb
Reactions: 1a1 and Sir Trooper

The Best Bast

Most players don't even use the word "laserfag" in ze anymore, just looking at chat logs there hasn't been a single use of the word in the past week at all, 99-100% of the use of the word "fag" is often in a derogatory/insulting way. Theres really no reason to make a exception for ze players when even they aren't doing it anymore.

Thank you, was about to point it out.

I wanted to make a full analysis of the chat logs last week-end, to show the use of the word is mostly toxic, since I've read a lot on this thread that context matters and wanted to prove that, for this specific word, that is clearly not the case.

I haven't yet out of weariness, but I'll still share something I've found on the chat logs I recovered, since the topic is being brought up once more : "laser fag" has been used for the last time on the 27th of September by someone who furthermore +1'd this thread. I don't know if the whole "laser fag" being a sacred thing was exaggerated or if, as Stanley pointed it out earlier in this thread ZE evolved past the need of using it, but the argument clearly seems obsolete now.

(sorry for posting too early, my brain went autopilot while multitasking)

Seminal Inhalation

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I wanted to make a full analysis of the chat logs last week-end, to show the use of the word is mostly toxic, since I've read a lot on this thread that context matters and wanted to prove that, for this specific word, that is clearly not the case.

I haven't yet out of weariness, but I'll still share something I've found on the chat logs I recovered, since the topic is being brought up once more : "laser fag" has been used

I'm not talking about "fag" or "faggot" exclusively, I'm talking homophobia, and discrimination in its entirety.

Pot Head Wabbit

Reactions: Sir Trooper

The Best Bast

I'm not talking about "fag" or "faggot" exclusively, I'm talking homophobia, and discrimination in its entirety.
Of course, my point was specifically in response to the "laser fag" argument even if I didn't have the time to post it all before your answer, sorry. I agree with your idea. Maybe "racism" could be replaced by "discrimination" altogether ?

Siffrin

Yeah we don't really use it anymore but there's a stage in a map "ze_randomizer_p2" called "Laserfag Stage". It'd be great if well Bottiger ever updated the older maps but it'd be really awkward if a banned word is still around.

VentureDev

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
Thank you, was about to point it out.

I haven't yet out of weariness, but I'll still share something I've found on the chat logs I recovered, since the topic is being brought up once more : "laser fag" has been used for the last time on the 27th of September by someone who furthermore +1'd this thread. I don't know if the whole "laser fag" being a sacred thing was exaggerated or if, as Stanley pointed it out earlier in this thread ZE evolved past the need of using it, but the argument clearly seems obsolete now.

(sorry for posting too early, my brain went autopilot while multitasking)
Again, ZE only 'evolved' beyond using it because Wabbit started reporting people for saying laserfag and had them muted.

• Haha
Reactions: Pot Head Wabbit

Pot Head Wabbit

Yeah we don't really use it anymore but there's a stage in a map "ze_randomizer_p2" called "Laserfag Stage". It'd be great if well Bottiger ever updated the older maps but it'd be really awkward if a banned word is still around.
Dr_supermarket has a box for "pork faggots" in several places so it probably won't be removed at all if I had to guess.

• Dumb
Reactions: 1a1

1a1

Unremarkable User
But. It's. Not. A. Slur. It's a term used in a context that isn't intended to insult or belittle homosexuals. You are the one choosing to be offended by it, and I guarantee you are the only one complaining about it. Seriously, touch grass dude. It's honestly pathetic.
Still -1 to the suggestion. Grow some balls pussies. There's a mute button for a reason, and there are more pressing issues to worry about in the real world than mean words a stranger said over the internet.