Trillium

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
As the rules states currently:

Other Discrimination: Any persistent discrimination based on gender or religion is not allowed. What qualifies as persistent will be determined by an admin.

I believe that it should be reworded to add sexual orientation to the list of persistent discrimination, like this:

Other Discrimination: Any persistent discrimination based on gender, religion and/or sexual orientation is not allowed. What qualifies as persistent will be determined by an admin.

I strongly feel like this will help new players understand what Other Discrimination stands for on Skial servers, some examples of sexual orientation used in reports is linked below:

https://www.skial.com/threads/levit...of-homophobic-and-transphobic-comments.90928/

https://www.skial.com/threads/saxton-hale-us-████-brodinospizzarolls-racism.90645/#post-806173

https://www.skial.com/threads/shark-player-called-me-homophobic-slur-in-text-chat.89363/

Last edited:

KinCryos

TF2 Admin
Contributor
Mapper
we do have this, seen above the entire list:

Examples are listed. But just because you don't see something here does not mean it is not included.

Trillium

Legendary Skial King
Contributor

Examples are listed. But just because you don't see something here does not mean it is not included.

I always found thats to be a bit vague at times, I feel like making the rules just a bit more precise helps to make them easier to understand, because maybe players think admins and mods have biases as to what type of discrimination is disallowed (I am not saying admins or moderators have biases, I know they don't when it comes to enforcing the rules and giving punishments for doing so.

A good example is the now deleted thread of the Animal Crossing NSFW spray that was reported as being CP, even though many staff members didn't agree with the content that the spray showed, it didn't technically go against any rules, which show admin bias and, honestly, common sense, but they didn't let that get in the way of how they took action on the situation, they put there feelings aside and made sure that it was the rules that came first)

Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
even though many staff members didn't agree with the content that the spray showed
No staff weighed in on that report, lol. Of all of the forum members shitposting and arguing whether it was against the rules, two forum moderators ever commented trying to tell the reporter to provide evidence and the other telling the shitposters to shut up

Trillium

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
No staff weighed in on that report, lol. Of all of the forum members shitposting and arguing whether it was against the rules, two forum moderators ever commented trying to tell the reporter to provide evidence and the other telling the shitposters to shut up
To be honest that thread was a shitshow, I provided a bad example but I could only recall from memory, I couldn't directly quote it due to it being deleted, I apologize for my recollection of that thread, it has been a while since I last read it, so I cannot have all the information in hand when writing about it, and it is my fault for falsely remembering facts about that thread.

Last edited:

Trillium

Legendary Skial King
Contributor

Also did some more reading of the files of which I would like to see changed, and realized it has no examples provided. There are examples in the spamming bullet which read as:

Spamming. Examples:
Advertising other TF2 servers or Skial competitors.
Telling people to boycott Skial.
Spreading lies with the intention to get people to leave.
Reporting people that aren't breaking the rules.
Calling random votes, even on yourself.
Whether music over voice chat is spam will be left to a server vote. However music is NOT allowed on trade servers.

But there are none provided when it comes to the racism and discrimination bullet in the server rules thread.

KinCryos

TF2 Admin
Contributor
Mapper
I count the "gender or religion" as examples. if you look at where "Other Discrimination" is, you'll notice a colon right after, which is otherwise used to preclude examples in the rule list

Trillium

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I count the "gender or religion" as examples. if you look at where "Other Discrimination" is, you'll notice a colon right after, which is otherwise used to preclude examples in the rule list
I found the way it was worded made it seem less like an example and more of a "set-in-stone" rule, when you look at the dodging bullet it reads:

Dodging: Avoiding punishments like gag/mute/ban

I find the word like acts in a way that it describes what the example is, whereas in the discrimination bullet, there is no notion to the 'examples' given, actually being examples, at least in the way I believe it to be read.

KinCryos

TF2 Admin
Contributor
Mapper
in the discrimination bullet, there is no notion to the 'examples' given, actually being examples, at least in the way I believe it to be read.
you make a fair point.

in addition, the written rule on dodging is more or less obsolete because the "disconnecting or changing your name right before it happens" method hasn't worked since 2013, when SourceBans got support for persistent mutes/gags (before that, silences simply worked on a timer, ending early if they disconnected) and the voting system modified to hand out punishments by SteamID instead of by Player Name (which obviously failed to do anything at all if the accused disconnected or changed their name before the vote concluded)