Jakob

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Hello.

My Acer Predator suddenly died today, I tried booting it again. It went through with the acer logo, then the startup repair / normal start up screen. I tried normal start up, the only thing that happened was that it restarted, it keeps doing this. I tried startup repair, nothing happened. I tried looking through latest reset checkpoint to launch, they're gone. I tried to reinitialize windows, didn't do anything.

Please, if anyone have any advice, post it.

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Hello.

My Acer Predator suddenly died today, I tried booting it again. It went through with the acer logo, then the startup repair / normal start up screen. I tried normal start up, the only thing that happened was that it restarted, it keeps doing this. I tried startup repair, nothing happened. I tried looking through latest reset checkpoint to launch, they're gone. I tried to reinitialize windows, didn't do anything.

Please, if anyone have any advice, post it.
Do you get any POST errors?

When you say reinitialize do you mean reinstall? If that didn't work I would think that points to a bad HDD.

For me, as a sanity check, I would see if I could boot up the computer with a Linux live disc. If that works it means other components are working. If you can access the HDD from Linux it means that the drive could be okay, it's just the boot files are corrupted. In which case you can repair with the installation disc.

Hope that can help. Good luck.

Last edited:

Jakob

Do you get any POST errors?

When you say reinitialize do you mean reinstall? If that didn't work I would think that points to a bad HDD.

For me, as a sanity check, I would see if I could boot up the computer with a Linux live disc. If that works it means other components are working. If you can access the HDD from Linux it means that the drive could be okay, it's just the boot files are corrupted. In which case you can repair with the installation disc.

Hope that can help. Good luck.
I can't repair with the disc, I meant reinstall (thank you for correcting me). It is probably a bad HDD, I'm trying to fix it with some guy on another forum, he talks about how I should take out the batery on the motherboard and reset the BIOS. It's quite a drag.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Try booting into Safe mode (just keep pressing F8 during the boot). See if it takes you anywhere around OS.

Jakob

Try booting into Safe mode (just keep pressing F8 during the boot). See if it takes you anywhere around OS.

Already tried that. I have tried everything within the interface of the computer itself. The hard disk is broken, so I need to change that.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Already tried that. I have tried everything within the interface of the computer itself. The hard disk is broken, so I need to change that.
What makes you think it's broken? Is it clicking, clucking, making noises? If not - then, there is quite a chance you simply have MBR broken and simply have to re-install OS. Otherwise, run HDD utility to discover if you have bad sectors on it.
Nowadays most of hard drives have S.M.A.R.T technology which actually notifies user if bad sectors are detected. Since Predator is relatively new desktop, I'd assume your HDD would have this feature as well. So if you got no messages and hear no sounds from HDD - I doubt you have a physical issue with HDD or bad sectors.

Just trying to save you 50-100 bucks.